Author Topic: Matthew books, horrible fraud  (Read 3876 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Matthew books, horrible fraud
« on: July 22, 2014, 07:18:29 am »
http://www.matthewbooks.com/mattstory.htm

So... 17 year old Matthew died in a car crash and his grieving mother started visiting mediums so that she could contact him again. Then either she became really deluded OR she just saw a money making opportunity and now she has been selling books about the "messages" she has received from her son.

Lots of books.

Several of the messages are also available for free and seem to be utter new-age crap. In particular there was a "message" about the Malaysian plane that disappeared (not the one that was shot down) and it went on and on about "lightworkers" (some sort of angelic beings apparently or possibly aliens) who rescued everyone who was on the plane (apart from some who had a heart attack apparently) and their souls were transported to another planet and given new bodies so that they could live there. They even taught them how to speak the local language.

Obviously they couldn't just bring the plane down safely. Oh noooo...
Why weren’t the people in the plane transferred to the spacecraft and brought back down to Earth?

A midair transfer at “breathing” altitude could not have guaranteed the survival of everyone on the plane. Just as important, the craft’s pressurization system requires special breathing apparatus for bodies of lower density make-up than the crew’s, and the craft wasn’t outfitted with sufficient apparatus for all aboard the plane. Crews in your skies are using their technology in the many ways we have mentioned in numerous messages; on occasion they are authorized to rescue people in dire circumstances, but that isn’t the primary purpose of their presence. And, as Ashtar mentioned, the need to accommodate so many persons in the same emergency situation—in this case, 239—is an extreme rarity.

Why didn’t the ETs use their high level technology to repair the plane while it was in the air instead of taking it to some other planet?

The technology aboard their crafts is indeed advanced, even beyond your science fiction depictions, but it’s not designed to repair malfunctioning systems of your airplanes. An apt analogy could be your cell phone having the capability to fix a flat tire.

That site gives me a headache. Could be a gold mine for stuff to FSTDT as well.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
Re: Matthew books, horrible fraud
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 07:44:54 am »
This reminds me of Heaven's Gate, eerily enough.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 08:11:27 am »
You know, if it weren't for potential copyright infringement with these books, I'd be tempted to use "lightworker" in a game or story somewheres.  The name itself isn't all that bad.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 08:23:14 am »
Wow.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 09:30:39 am »
You know, if it weren't for potential copyright infringement with these books, I'd be tempted to use "lightworker" in a game or story somewheres.  The name itself isn't all that bad.

Still not as badass as Thunderchild.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 10:41:43 am »
http://www.matthewbooks.com/mattstory.htm

So... 17 year old Matthew died in a car crash and his grieving mother started visiting mediums so that she could contact him again. Then either she became really deluded OR she just saw a money making opportunity and now she has been selling books about the "messages" she has received from her son.

Lots of books.

Several of the messages are also available for free and seem to be utter new-age crap. In particular there was a "message" about the Malaysian plane that disappeared (not the one that was shot down) and it went on and on about "lightworkers" (some sort of angelic beings apparently or possibly aliens) who rescued everyone who was on the plane (apart from some who had a heart attack apparently) and their souls were transported to another planet and given new bodies so that they could live there. They even taught them how to speak the local language.

Obviously they couldn't just bring the plane down safely. Oh noooo...
Why weren’t the people in the plane transferred to the spacecraft and brought back down to Earth?

A midair transfer at “breathing” altitude could not have guaranteed the survival of everyone on the plane. Just as important, the craft’s pressurization system requires special breathing apparatus for bodies of lower density make-up than the crew’s, and the craft wasn’t outfitted with sufficient apparatus for all aboard the plane. Crews in your skies are using their technology in the many ways we have mentioned in numerous messages; on occasion they are authorized to rescue people in dire circumstances, but that isn’t the primary purpose of their presence. And, as Ashtar mentioned, the need to accommodate so many persons in the same emergency situation—in this case, 239—is an extreme rarity.

Why didn’t the ETs use their high level technology to repair the plane while it was in the air instead of taking it to some other planet?

The technology aboard their crafts is indeed advanced, even beyond your science fiction depictions, but it’s not designed to repair malfunctioning systems of your airplanes. An apt analogy could be your cell phone having the capability to fix a flat tire.

That site gives me a headache. Could be a gold mine for stuff to FSTDT as well.

I confess, I'm usually open to believing in stuff about Near-Death Experiences, after-death communication, New Age stuff, etc. (with a bit of skepticism for each case because many are phonies & nuts) but THIS IS EL-STUPIDO!!!! Sounds like one of those bozos who use New Age spirituality to defraud & control people. This chick's a crank & I doubt her son would be happy with her exploiting his passing (if he ever existed). Frankly, I think that if there are genuine psychics & mediums, they wouldn't toot their horns, start cults/movements, charge huge fees or act like cliches. I do feel there are genuine cases of average people who've had psychic experiences but they're rare.

Then she throws the missing Malaysian flight into it! How sick & exploitative! Her son & the passengers must be facepalming so hard! Of course, the aliens couldn't land the plane safely....because it's bovine manure....she's exploiting the fact that the plane's still missing in the deep ocean, somewhere!

Should they finally find the stupid plane, she'll scramble and move the goalposts concerning details ('...well, it was their SPIRITS, y'see...*heh heh*...')

Sounds like another dumbass "Sylvia Browne" in the making. :P

In another news of phony psychic New Age cranks....Ramtha Lady's profane, bigoted tirade!
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/07/21/new-age-leader-sues-ex-students-over-leaked-video-of-her-drunken-racist-anti-gay-rant/
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 10:50:17 am by SpukiKitty »

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 12:37:15 pm »
Frankly, I think that if there are genuine psychics & mediums, they wouldn't toot their horns, start cults/movements, charge huge fees or act like cliches. I do feel there are genuine cases of average people who've had psychic experiences but they're rare.

The James Randi Educational Foundation offers a million dollars to anyone who can empirically demonstrate their paranormal abilities. Even if said psychic doesn't want the money, why don't they accept the prize anyway and donate a million dollars to charity?

Unless they're all frauds, which is (almost) certainly the case.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 02:54:42 pm »
Frankly, I think that if there are genuine psychics & mediums, they wouldn't toot their horns, start cults/movements, charge huge fees or act like cliches. I do feel there are genuine cases of average people who've had psychic experiences but they're rare.

The James Randi Educational Foundation offers a million dollars to anyone who can empirically demonstrate their paranormal abilities. Even if said psychic doesn't want the money, why don't they accept the prize anyway and donate a million dollars to charity?

Unless they're all frauds, which is (almost) certainly the case.

To quote /x/ on the matter of JREF, they don't do it for protection from the governments of the world, as well as other wizards. On the one hand for them, proving themselves in public would open themselves to attacks from "dark wizards" who would prefer it all be kept a secret. On the other hand, showing for certain that psionics do in fact exist could lead to possible abduction and experimentation by military and governmental agencies.

Of course, it is /x/, so take everything as a joke before proven otherwise.

Edited because I herped in a way that changed the entire message.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 07:04:30 pm by Mechtaur »

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 04:51:37 pm »
Someone observed that, based on messages from "the other side," the transition causes an IQ drop of about 100 points.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 01:44:21 am »
Funnier for me because 1) my novel's Protag is named Matthew. 2) one fight involves a car (thrown at him), 3) absolutely everything supernatural exists (just for fun, at one point, the setting is terrorized by the menace of Chemtrail, the Personification of Conspiracy), and 3) I am totally gonna use Lightworker somehow.

While its definitely wacky and New Agey, that was a lot of inspiration.

Thanks, wacky internet conspiracy theorist. You rekindled my writing.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 12:08:04 pm »
So this weirdo lady has conspiracy theories thrown into the mix! Does she wear Reynold's Wrap, too?

Let's review....

Lady claims to talk to her deceased son....
A bunch of really weird New Age chestnuts....
Stupid conspiracy junk, chemtrails, doomsday prophecies or whatever....
Tosses in the missing Malaysia plane for good measure....
Sells books, makes moolah, sets herself up as some high-falutin' prophet....

....Yup, It all points to "Phony With A Cult". Now, if it was just a nice lady with a moving tale about her deceased son contacting her from beyond & nothing more (but still keeping things low-key & normalish) I'd give her the benefit of the doubt. However, since she's tossing in a bunch of junk involving prophecies, conspiracies, kookiness, missing planes & "HEY LOOK AT ME! I SPEAK FOR GODHEAD!" then I'll just reject her with all the other exploitative, cultish kook-phony-cultists.

Just another moron who wants money, attention & to control people.

Exploiting your dead kid, Mom Of The Year, ladies & gentlemen! >:( :P

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 12:49:32 pm »
Now, if it was just a nice lady with a moving tale about her deceased son contacting her from beyond & nothing more (but still keeping things low-key & normalish) I'd give her the benefit of the doubt.

There's nothing normal or low-key about claims of visitation and communication from the dead. If you're willing to concede that, it's a slippery slope into supernatural woo and charlatanry.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 09:55:07 pm »
Now, if it was just a nice lady with a moving tale about her deceased son contacting her from beyond & nothing more (but still keeping things low-key & normalish) I'd give her the benefit of the doubt.

There's nothing normal or low-key about claims of visitation and communication from the dead. If you're willing to concede that, it's a slippery slope into supernatural woo and charlatanry.

Slippery slope? It's already well past the point of supernatural woo and charlatanry. Selling a book about talking to your dead son may not be quite as nutty without all of the conspiracy dreck, but it's still textbook supernatural woo and charlatanry.