Author Topic: Good Things People Say on the Internet  (Read 111488 times)

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
Re: Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Reply #210 on: December 01, 2015, 04:35:08 pm »
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 04:46:10 pm by Skybison »

Even Then

« Reply #211 on: December 14, 2015, 12:18:25 pm »
Quote from: tumblr user florianesque, paraphrased
speaking scientifically the rule correlation =/= causation usually applies to a) unrelated phenomena (i.e., storms and gay marriage) or b) something that has only happened one time and may have been caused by uncontrolled variables (i.e. that study that claimed vaccines caused autism which was a literal shitshow and could win an award for being the absolute least scientific experiment in existence). these are related phenomena, and having seen literally every person to make an original post about <thing> sucking ass get swarmed by angry anons with no uncontrolled variables to speak of i’d guess you don’t have much experience with statistics or science :/

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #212 on: December 14, 2015, 08:07:07 pm »
Quote from: tumblr user florianesque, paraphrased
speaking scientifically the rule correlation =/= causation usually applies to a) unrelated phenomena (i.e., storms and gay marriage) or b) something that has only happened one time and may have been caused by uncontrolled variables (i.e. that study that claimed vaccines caused autism which was a literal shitshow and could win an award for being the absolute least scientific experiment in existence). these are related phenomena, and having seen literally every person to make an original post about <thing> sucking ass get swarmed by angry anons with no uncontrolled variables to speak of i’d guess you don’t have much experience with statistics or science :/

I know the point the person is getting at and I agree, but this does not really make a lot of sense outside context.
Σא

Even Then

« Reply #213 on: December 14, 2015, 08:08:40 pm »
Mentioning the specific context of it would probably lead this thread into another shit-flinging thread, which I don't want, so I thought I'd try to get the general sentiment of "correlation=/= causation isn't always right or accurate" expressed this way.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #214 on: December 15, 2015, 12:49:33 pm »
Yeah, it's a reasonable precaution.
Σא

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #215 on: December 16, 2015, 04:37:35 pm »
This is a rather good rebuttal for the "jet fuel can't melt steel beams" theory:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzF1KySHmUA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzF1KySHmUA</a>

...Unfortunately as you can see from the comments, conspiracy theorists won't let inconvenient facts get in the way of their theories. They either don't understand this simple demonstration or simply go straight to another theory and disregard the fact that their main argument was shot down.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #216 on: December 16, 2015, 06:43:17 pm »
Now there's a man we can get behind.

Anyone who has their own anvil is naturally of stout moral character.

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Even Then

« Reply #217 on: January 07, 2016, 06:27:02 am »
Quote from: tumblr user luchagcaileag
The thing is that “so easily offended” tends to be shorthand for “They’ve stopped quietly accepting the offensive stuff I was saying before.”

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #218 on: January 12, 2016, 09:24:39 am »
On the (over)use of the "Abrhamic Test" claim being used to frame the most recent statements from Elder Nelson.
"When I hear the phrase “Abrahamic test” in a description of a modern ethical dilemma, I invariably flinch. I want to say, “Dude, you’ve got it wrong. God was testing Abraham to see if he would be dumb enough to do something stupid and evil just because someone in a white robe told him to. Abraham was part of an ancient Milgram Study. And he flunked.”
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Art Vandelay

« Reply #219 on: January 12, 2016, 02:57:39 pm »
Either way, God is a total prick.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #220 on: January 12, 2016, 03:18:05 pm »

Nah, a total prick would have let Isaac die.

Incidentally, I heard an interesting interpretation that Abraham was testing God at the same time, to see if He was worthy of worship.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #221 on: January 12, 2016, 03:35:06 pm »
A not total prick wouldn't have done any of that in the first place.
Incidentally, I heard an interesting interpretation that Abraham was testing God at the same time, to see if He was worthy of worship.
He should've been able to make up his mind as soon as God asked him to kill his own son.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 11:20:53 pm by Art Vandelay »

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #222 on: January 12, 2016, 03:44:44 pm »

Yet more evidence that apologists can "interpret" anything they want from a fundamentally evil text.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #223 on: January 12, 2016, 04:03:30 pm »

Yet more evidence that apologists can "interpret" anything they want from a fundamentally evil text.

Sorry, I didn't realize we were talking about The Communist Manifesto.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #224 on: January 12, 2016, 04:30:45 pm »
Is...were you going somewhere with that, UP?

I can't follow your egregious breaks with logic.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.