Author Topic: Give Wal-Mart credit for trying?  (Read 1825 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Give Wal-Mart credit for trying?
« on: January 23, 2013, 10:45:37 am »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2013/01/22/wal-mart-warns-suppliers.html

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. has alerted its global suppliers that it will immediately drop them if they subcontract their work to factories that haven't been authorized by the discounter.

In a letter sent Tuesday to suppliers of its Wal-Mart stores as well as Sam's Clubs in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom, the company says it will adopt a "zero tolerance" policy on subcontracting without the company's knowledge, effective March. 1. Previously, suppliers had three chances to rectify mistakes.

I don't think this will change much anything, really. As long as Wal-Mart stays committed to providing really low prices, they won't really have a choice but to allow subcontracting to whatever factories can provide the cheapest costs, and we'll end up with more disasters like the factory fire in Bangladesh*, to which this was a response.

*http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/11/25/bangladesh-garment-factory-fire.html
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
Re: Give Wal-Mart credit for trying?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 10:50:13 am »
It's easy for Wal art use this to look good then rubber stamp the factories.  Everyone wins except for poor children

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 05:19:30 pm »
I'm going to stay cynical about this here.  I see this solely as a PR move, and highly doubt anything will actually change.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 06:30:53 pm »
To Walmart:

Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 02:57:37 am »
I am also siding on the cynical here.
It sounds good on paper, but what about those suppliers who were using more reputable subcontractors and now have to use the Walmart rubber stamped Chinese sweatshops?
I honestly cant see Walmart accepting any factory that is not essentially a slave sweatshop.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 06:15:14 pm »
Chinese sweatshops
bah too expensive when you can use slaves (literal slaves they hire these workers from SE Asia to work on Thai shrimp farms and then they take their passports so they can't leave)