Author Topic: Your Secret Religious Throwbacks  (Read 9317 times)

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: Your Secret Religious Throwbacks
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 02:33:16 pm »
The guilt! Oh, the religious guilt is a massive stopping point for me.  One of my friends (who is a very conservative Christian, no less) is doing his best to help me work through that, though, and hopefully find my way back to religion.  Or, more accurately, the Christianity I grew up with when I was little, rather than what got used against me from my uncle's murder when I was 7 and on from there.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 02:34:03 pm »
I still say "gesundheit" when someone sneezes.

When swearing, though, I'll generally say something like "for the love of fuck" or "for fuck's sake". Not a conscious rebellion against BibleGod, just something I started one day.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 05:13:54 pm »
Until I started dating my now-wife, I sang Christmas carols in the shower. And I know multiple verses to many of them.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 05:17:56 pm »
I actually still quite enjoy Christian mythology, particularly the mythical birth of Jesus, the legend of Samson, and so forth.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 05:30:46 pm »
I enjoy mythology in general. My friend took a Christian mythology course at our university and said students were offended as hell that it wasn't what they thought it would be (ie, a bible study class, like something out of church).

Anyway, I'm thankful that I never had to deal with hardcore beliefs in my family. I don't recall my parents mentioning religion a single time when I was growing up, and such a thing doesn't exactly appear to be common. At least, not here in the US. I do occasionally feel strange saying "god dammit," but that's probably because it feels odd to say such a thing with my lack of belief, considering its original meaning.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 05:31:30 pm »
I still sing Christmas Carol whenever December rolls around.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 05:57:23 pm »
When I was like 12 or something I dabbled in Wicca...
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 06:07:01 pm »
I still say "Bless you" when some one sneezes, but I wasn't rasied in a particularly religious household, never really went to church, so...

When I was like 12 or something I dabbled in Wicca...

I tried dabbling in Wicca when I was in college, I gave up half way through because I got lazy.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 08:40:37 pm »
I pretty much consider "Bless you" to be on the same level of "God dammit" in regards to that kinda stuff.

Also, I really wanted to be Wiccan when I was 14.  Like...  extremely badly.

Did I mention I was a fundamentalist Christian then?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2012, 09:05:17 pm »
When I was in Florida, I was the only atheist there. People actually asked me--in all seriousness, trying not to offend me and just being nice--if I minded or was offended at people saying 'bless you' when I sneezed. I'd never been asked that before and of course it doesn't bother me, since it's just part of the vernacular. But I thought it was really sweet that they were trying to make sure they didn't make me uncomfortable.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2012, 09:06:29 pm »
When I was in Florida, I was the only atheist there. People actually asked me--in all seriousness, trying not to offend me and just being nice--if I minded or was offended at people saying 'bless you' when I sneezed. I'd never been asked that before and of course it doesn't bother me, since it's just part of the vernacular. But I thought it was really sweet that they were trying to make sure they didn't make me uncomfortable.

Ah Florida... The more north you go the more southern it gets.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2012, 09:49:32 pm »
I think if we're talking about throwbacks, I find comfort in church songs. Maybe Nostalgia, but maybe it's just the simple idea of gathering people together like that for communal reinforcement of good activities. You don't really get that outside of churches, provided it's a more liberal type of church focused on charity work. I also tend to enjoy discussing with people directly in their religion, but I think that's just me trying to be nice.

I think mostly it's because I'm pretty so-so on religion. It's fine if you believe, it's fine if you don't. It really doesn't matter unless you try to force it into the public sphere.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2012, 10:22:48 pm »
I find myself saying.

"Oh my God" or "Thank God". 

Offline Itachirumon

• The Buzzing Digital Uke
  • Pope
  • The Highly-Caffinated Borderline Insane Uke
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2012, 10:42:39 pm »
Does loving "Greensleeves" count? If it's the regular version and not the Christian version? I'm...a bit of a sucker for that song if you get someone with a beautiful british-irish voice singing it...
"Sleep is for the weak
Caffeine is my sacrament
Are those spiders real?"

I do NOT have a dubious relationship to sleep. We had a perfectly ambicable seperation

Ask me about the knife in your back!

When I die, they should process my blood into an energy drink - it'll be called Vampiric, and one dose will cause diabetes... Also, you might see noises.

"No.. can't eat... I'm fucking my catboy"

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2013, 12:03:51 am »
Does loving "Greensleeves" count? If it's the regular version and not the Christian version? I'm...a bit of a sucker for that song if you get someone with a beautiful british-irish voice singing it...
Amazing grace on the bagpipes does it for me.

Every freaking time.

So does Halleluja.