Author Topic: More anti-contraception garbage  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
More anti-contraception garbage
« on: July 02, 2012, 02:13:03 am »
This time in the form of misused hip new memes & graphics!
Fellow Patheos blogger Marc Barnes over at Bad Catholic has realized why the Catholic mandate against contraception enjoys such pitiful support amongst American women.
It’s not because it’s an archaic, unrealistic standard that turns couples — and particularly women — into slaves of their own biology despite the existence of readily available alternatives. The actual problem is that it hasn’t been sold in a sufficiently attractive package.

Enter the new website 1Flesh, which seeks to sell 19th century ideas (12th? 1st?) in a 21st century package, Facebook page and all. According to Barnes, its purpose is “documenting the silliness that is artificial contraception, a grassroots movement promoting great, natural sex to the entire universe.” He then cites a list of “facts” that range from outright false to outrageously misleading.
Those "facts" are the typical stuff: condoms don't stop AIDs, birth control pills cause breast cancer, abortion is murder, yadda yadda yadda. Nothing we haven't heard before. Though they do decide to use Neil Patrick Harris as one of the memes to prove their point, as though his being gay doesn't A) negate their point and B) make them cringe anyways.

Seeing as they've gone ahead and made a Facebook page for this garbage, I've gone ahead and reported to try and have it shut down; anyone with an FB account should do the same. Too bad there isn't a rule about hosting factually inaccurate information.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
Re: More anti-contraception garbage
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 02:36:56 am »
But is it actually violating any Facebook rules? The page is really stupid, but if they're not breaking any rules then there's no grounds to take them down. Of course, it's Facebook, so they can choose what stays up and what doesn't.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 02:47:40 am »
I flagged it as gender oppressive under their list of offenses. It's a shame that "misleading the public/false advertising" or "factually suspect" aren't options or grounds for flagging, though it's not possible to add a comment to these reports, either.

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 05:54:24 am »
I feel as though they have taken the entire concept of memes and dragged them behind the school shed and violently raped them.
Looking at the citations for their 4 sources I cant help but wonder about the legitimacy of those papers.
These people honestly scare me. They hate sex so much that they will fight against contraception because they believe it causes people to have sex, all the while forgetting that people have sex regardless.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 09:15:36 am »
I feel as though they have taken the entire concept of memes and dragged them behind the school shed and violently raped them.
Looking at the citations for their 4 sources I cant help but wonder about the legitimacy of those papers.
These people honestly scare me. They hate sex so much that they will fight against contraception because they believe it causes people to have sex, all the while forgetting that people have sex regardless.
I've honestly gone ahead and concluded that they're jealous of people who have (lots of) guilt and consequence free sex. Just look at how wound up the politicians alone who support this kind of thing are! Assuming their personalities aren't a factor in their not getting laid, just imagine how much more relaxed they'd be.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 03:50:36 pm »
There's only one response:

What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 09:01:38 pm »
There's only one response:

Yeah, they're pretty bad.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.