Author Topic: Attn UK Folk I have a question...  (Read 3384 times)

Offline Atheissimo

• Bishop
Re: Attn UK Folk I have a question...
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 08:22:16 am »
Not as far as I'm aware.

Due to the fact that the majority of the rural poor moved to the cities during the industrial revolution and became the urban poor, there isn't much of a tradition of proper rural poverty that the term 'Hillbilly' brings to mind.

The British rural tradition is much more associated with aristocratic landowners than the American one. The people who stayed in the country to farm the land were generally looked after by the local landowners in their country mansions, who built and maintained whole villages for them. To this day some of the most sought after and picturesque villages in the UK are ones that were built by the local aristocrat for his tennants, due to the fact that the village was a status symbol and treated as a fashion accessory to the country house.

Plus there's the fact that nowhere in Britain is far enough from 'civilization' to be truly deprived and isolated, except the Scottish highlands that gained none of these benefits and really did see extreme poverty and famine.

The majority of class related nicknames in the UK refer to the urban poor instead, names like chav and ned.
'You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched Star Trek? Good Lord.' - Sir Patrick Stewart

Offline Bleep

• Neonate
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 06:40:40 am »
Yokel, maybe?

I know people who use the term "that's a bit Norfolk" to describe people or things that are weird - the stereotype being that everyone in Norfolk is a hexadactyl, web-footed, sister lover.

Offline Jack Bauer

• Poetic Badass
  • Pope
  • On Craggy Island, under deep cover.
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 07:35:36 pm »
Hmmm... How about 'poor white racist cunts'?
Part wolf, part pirate.

“Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”   -  Albert Einstein.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 12:12:00 am »
Thing is "hillbillies" aren't always racist.  They can be racist (so can any social group), but a racist isn't always a hillbilly.  To a lesser number, they're not always white either.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 12:13:43 am by SpaceProg »