Author Topic: Pope Francis: Gays, Abortion Too Much Of Catholic Church's Obsession  (Read 5432 times)

Offline SkyTrekTower

• Bishop
So how long until the Vatican issues a retraction?  You know, the church is long overdue for a schism.

Pope Francis faulted the Roman Catholic church for focusing too much on gays, abortion and contraception, saying the church has become "obsessed" with those issues to the detriment of its larger mission to be "home for all," according to an extensive new interview published Thursday.

The church can share its views on homosexuality, abortion and other issues, but should not "interfere spiritually" with the lives gays and lesbians, the pope added in the interview, which was published in La Civilta Cattolica, a Rome-based Jesuit journal.

“We have to find a new balance, otherwise even the moral edifice of the church is likely to fall like a house of cards, losing the freshness and fragrance of the Gospel," Francis said in the interview.

"The church has sometimes locked itself up in small things, in small-minded rules,' Francis said. "The people of God want pastors, not clergy acting like bureaucrats or government officials."

*snip*

In the interview, Francis does not come out in support of gay marriage, abortion rights or contraception, saying that church positions on those issues are "clear," but he added that the "the proclamation of the saving love of God comes before moral and religious imperatives.”

“A person once asked me, in a provocative manner, if I approved of homosexuality,” he said to Jesuit priest Fr. Antonio Spadaro, who conducted the interview for La Civilta Cattolica. “I replied with another question: ‘Tell me: when God looks at a gay person, does he endorse the existence of this person with love, or reject and condemn this person?’ We must always consider the person.”

The comments on gays and lesbians follow up on remarks Francis made aboard the papal airplane in July when asked about gay priests. "Who am I to judge?" the pope then said, in a quote that made international front-page headlines. In Thursday's interview, Francis clarified that those comments were about all gay people and not only priests.

*snip*

“But I have never been a right-winger," he said.

Story Link
Interview

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: Pope Francis: Gays, Abortion Too Much Of Catholic Church's Obsession
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 01:47:37 pm »
Who wants to bet this will have no significant repercussions whatsoever in terms of how the RCC (and Catholics in general) treat those issues?
Σא

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 01:47:43 pm »

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 01:58:44 pm »
Until he actually does something to fix some of those issues, this is just talk.

Ironbite-which he's been mostly since he got elected.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 02:31:36 pm »

Ironic you used a homopohbe.  This is empty talk as most of the cardinals said that it will still continue homophobia

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 02:47:12 pm »
Actually I'm wondering what the pope can even do.

I mean I know he's like... the big head honcho, but as far as I recall, he can't make any edicts except on very specific and sparse dates or something.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 03:57:55 pm »
I bet there's a lot of cardinals with ruffled feathers.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 04:01:42 pm »
Actually I'm wondering what the pope can even do.

I mean I know he's like... the big head honcho, but as far as I recall, he can't make any edicts except on very specific and sparse dates or something.

I don't think this is so.

It's official doctrine of the Church that when the Pope speaks ex cathedra (that is, from his position as pastor of all Catholics), then whatever he says is true (infallible, in fact) and binding on the Church. There are some conditions on when the Pope is considered to be speaking ex cathedra, but as far as I can tell it doesn't specify dates or sparsity or anything that would limit the Pope on doing it whenever he wanted (though only on subjects relating to doctrines of faith or morals). My source on this is Catholic Encyclopedia

This is, of course, only the theoretical limitation. In practice, if Bergoglio declared tomorrow that gay sex is alright with God, then a decent chunk of the Church would not follow him, declare him a false Pope or whatever (there's already a movement of people who declare that because of the Second Vatican Council, the Church is no longer truly Catholic and the successors of John XXIII were not legitimate popes). Tradition is a very powerful force in Catholicism, and any reformation would have to be slow and gradual.

Which doesn't change the fact that all Bergoglio is doing is just empty posturing that will not lead to any actual progress.
Σא

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 07:14:24 pm »
Quote from: Pope Francis
God is in everyone's life. Even if the life of a person has been a disaster, even if it is destroyed by vices, drugs or anything else — God is in this person's life.

So, um, God's a douchebag, then?
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 03:35:55 am »
Until he actually does something to fix some of those issues, this is just talk.

Ironbite-which he's been mostly since he got elected.

A fair point. However I would like to state though that the very first step to actually fixing a problem is to bring it up. Everyone else in the Catholic church wont even talk about their obsession with abortion, contraceptives and gays, at least with this the Pope is publicly opening the doors for these issues to be addressed.

You could see this as just talk, but the pope himself has very little actual power. He cant suddenly stop all homophobia in the church, but he can at least take the first steps towards the church changing and becoming more tolerant.

Short version, a pope talking about accepting all people is better than one condemning condoms as evil while on tour in Africa.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 09:17:46 am »
^ That's pretty much the way I see it. I'm thankful we have a pope that's a lot more moderate.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 10:51:58 am »
Kinda like with Obama.

Not as good as the hype made him but still an improvement and certainly better than some of the alternatives.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 12:13:37 pm »
Well, now he's gone and said the usual "abortion bad" stuff.

There's no mention in the article about whether he said anything about supporting the mothers and children after the child is born.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 12:38:51 pm »
He earlier said the church obsesses too much on abortion MAKE UP YOUR MIND

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 01:28:10 pm »
Kinda like with Obama.

Not as good as the hype made him but still an improvement and certainly better than some of the alternatives.

He certainly has an Obama-esque PR team. Francis knows how to package his statements to appeal to equivocators without actually changing the substance of what is being said.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.