Author Topic: What are some religious phrases you hate?  (Read 66622 times)

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
Re: What are some religious phrases you hate?
« Reply #180 on: September 03, 2012, 09:30:30 pm »
I dunno to be fair terrorism in general is counterproductive outside of Kansas

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #181 on: September 04, 2012, 08:23:57 am »
What I find bizarre about that cult is that they really didn't need to do the attacks as they were gaining enough influence to do well in elections .

And Nixon could have won even without the bungled break in to the DMC headquarters.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Saturn500

« Reply #182 on: September 04, 2012, 06:14:05 pm »
"God closes doors"

Translated from Fundiegelical: "I screwed up on that job interview, so I'm just gonna assume God didn't want me to get that job, and won't bother improving myself."

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
« Reply #183 on: September 06, 2012, 02:16:49 am »
Let me just share a few quotes from my Christian uncle...

"It's sad, yes, but people with pre-existing conditions just drive up the cost of healthcare. I understand why insurance companies don't want them, and they shouldn't have to take them. My money shouldn't go towards other peoples' health. I pay for mine, you pay for yours."

"Why should we help the homeless?The Bible says if you don't work, you don't eat. Let them get jobs."

"Starving people in India won't eat their cows because they think they're reincarnated people? Let them starve."

"We need to get rid of healthcare. Don't have 10 kids if you can't afford them. I work, I don't want to work just to have my tax dollars go to lazy people."

But the kicker? "Those baby-killing liberals are going to pay for the blood on their hands when Jesus comes back and asks why we've aborted so many innocent babies."

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #184 on: September 06, 2012, 02:31:02 am »
Let's see here...fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you...standard, vile, hateful tripe...

But the kicker? "Those baby-killing liberals are going to pay for the blood on their hands when Jesus comes back and asks why we've aborted so many innocent babies."

Why?  Apparently, he's never used A1 steak sauce.  There's a reason its delicious.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #185 on: September 06, 2012, 04:41:29 am »
One issue that I've run into multiple conflicts with other Buddhists over is the fact that I still eat meat.

Generally, when someone takes umbrage with it, I point out that
A) the Buddha never stated that everyone who follows his teachings needs to become vegetarians,
B) the Buddha explicitly DID say that people should avoid dogmatism, and
C) when a butcher asked the Buddha how he could become enlightened without giving up the only work he knew to keep his family fed, the Buddha replied, "Let it be." For context, butchery is one of the professions that the Buddha specifically condemned.

All this being said, I only recently started on this path, and I do intend to give vegetarianism a shot once I've educated myself enough to be reasonably sure of my health. I know that you can get most of the nutrients found in meat from various vegetables, but I don't know enough about the subject yet to make educated choices about the veggies I would need. If there are any vegetarians here who could point me toward any good resources, I would appreciate it.

The basic ideal of Buddhism isn't vegetarianism, but moderation.  You can eat meat, junk food, and drink alcohol, but don't overindulge.  Now this isn't some religious rule, just common sense since overindulging in anything will screw you up inside. 

I made sure of this before I became a Buddhist because I REALLY LIKE my hambugers and steak.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #186 on: September 06, 2012, 08:52:46 am »
Most normal folks aren't too thrilled with the idea of a cult running the government (at least I should hope not).

Except the Religous Right.

"It's sad, yes, but people with pre-existing conditions just drive up the cost of healthcare. I understand why insurance companies don't want them, and they shouldn't have to take them. My money shouldn't go towards other peoples' health. I pay for mine, you pay for yours."

Wow.  He's ignorant both of Matthew 25 (a.k.a. the Corporal Works of Mercy) and of how health insurance is supposed to work.  Sharing the costs of healthcare among lots of different people, so that no one ends up deep in debt over a medical bill zie can't pay, is the entire reason for insurance in the first place.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 08:55:21 am by TheL »
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #187 on: September 06, 2012, 10:14:42 am »
"Why should we help the homeless?The Bible says if you don't work, you don't eat. Let them get jobs."

I would love for him to point me to a line in the Bible that says anything to the effect of, "If you don't work, you don't eat."

Meanwhile, I will point him to every single thing Jesus ever said, especially Matthew 25:31-46.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #188 on: September 06, 2012, 10:50:39 am »
One issue that I've run into multiple conflicts with other Buddhists over is the fact that I still eat meat.

Generally, when someone takes umbrage with it, I point out that
A) the Buddha never stated that everyone who follows his teachings needs to become vegetarians,
B) the Buddha explicitly DID say that people should avoid dogmatism, and
C) when a butcher asked the Buddha how he could become enlightened without giving up the only work he knew to keep his family fed, the Buddha replied, "Let it be." For context, butchery is one of the professions that the Buddha specifically condemned.

All this being said, I only recently started on this path, and I do intend to give vegetarianism a shot once I've educated myself enough to be reasonably sure of my health. I know that you can get most of the nutrients found in meat from various vegetables, but I don't know enough about the subject yet to make educated choices about the veggies I would need. If there are any vegetarians here who could point me toward any good resources, I would appreciate it.

The basic ideal of Buddhism isn't vegetarianism, but moderation.  You can eat meat, junk food, and drink alcohol, but don't overindulge.  Now this isn't some religious rule, just common sense since overindulging in anything will screw you up inside. 

I made sure of this before I became a Buddhist because I REALLY LIKE my hambugers and steak.

I know; the main reason I want to give vegitarianism a try is because of the cruelty in the factory farm system that supplies the majority of the meat on the U.S. market. I know that not all farms that raise animals for meat engage in these practices, but still...given the choice, I'd prefer free-range meat for that reason. I doubt I'll ever adopt it as a permanent lifestyle, but I'll probably take "meat holidays" or something similar.

Somewhat strange sidenote...I have similar reasons for wanting to learn to bowhunt and butcher my meat myself. Nowadays, at least in American culture, we're largely insulated from the fact that we're eating another living creature's muscles and organs. In my opinion, it's...well, I hesitate to say "wrong" unequivocably, but I find it objectionable to benefit from the fruits of a labor you aren't willing to participate in. Same reason I'm against the death penalty and the vast majority of the U.S.'s military actions in my lifetime. I find the death penalty to be a pointless gesture that's more about revenge than justice, and I think most military actions the U.S. has taken in my lifetime haven't measured up to the ideals we supposedly defend. So, if someone is sentenced to death, the sentencing judge should pull the lever themselves; if a politico wants to beat the war drums, they should be willing to enlist themselves.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #189 on: September 10, 2012, 07:51:04 pm »

I would love for him to point me to a line in the Bible that says anything to the effect of, "If you don't work, you don't eat."

It's in 2 Thessalonians; can't remember the exact verse.

Essentially, it says that there are some folks who are minding everyone else's business at the expense of their own.  So they need to start working, or else.

This is, of course, completely unrelated to welfare or unemployment checks.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline czechmate

• Apprentice
« Reply #190 on: September 12, 2012, 05:04:32 am »
Christianity is taught parrot fashion by those in authority, and to question is to transgress if the question is not on the approved list which has pre-ordained answers.
The Bible is infamous for not giving clear messages, relying on metaphors and parables which can be interpreted several ways, each with conflicting results.
This is how the KKK and the Nazis justify their actions as being "Gods' work".
Having been a DSc in Theology since 1948, I have been an atheist now for 27 years.
When Christians claim that they have a moral code exclusively is total BS. Almost ALL non-Christian culture have moral standards equal to, and often higher than those misquoted in the Bible.
If you want to be a Christian, read the Bible.
If you want to be an atheist, understand the Bible.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #191 on: December 29, 2012, 12:36:40 am »
"The ten commandments are not multiple choice"
"The ten commandments are not the ten suggestions"

How clever.   ::)

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #192 on: December 30, 2012, 09:04:38 am »
The ol' "Fear of God is the beginning of Wisdom." Mostly because they misunderstand Wisdom, which is the ability to differentiate right from wrong in situations, with intelligence. Then again, most people I've heard responding to it help continue that sort of misunderstanding. People are dumb?

ANything Westboro says is hate worthy.

I'm not particularly venomous towards religion, so this is hard for me.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline myusername

• Bishop
« Reply #193 on: December 30, 2012, 01:14:02 pm »
I can't remember if I said on this thread how much I hate the "Prosperity Gospel" Bullshit. So Religious Phrases I Hate : "If you're wealthy its because god loves you" argh.

Yeah, cos it was Jesus who said "Accumulate! Accumulate! That is Moses and the Prophets!"  ::) :P

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #194 on: December 30, 2012, 01:18:43 pm »
I can't remember if I said on this thread how much I hate the "Prosperity Gospel" Bullshit. So Religious Phrases I Hate : "If you're wealthy its because god loves you" argh.

Yeah, cos it was Jesus who said "Accumulate! Accumulate! That is Moses and the Prophets!"  ::) :P

I thought the prosperity gospel was "God made you rich so you can share it with others."
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying