Author Topic: fox news "the most trusted media" in america  (Read 2730 times)

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
fox news "the most trusted media" in america
« on: July 16, 2015, 11:30:39 am »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2015/03/09/fox-news-is-the-most-trusted-national-news-channel-and-its-not-that-close/

yeah, when conservatives rant about the "mainstream media", show them this poll. fox is the mainstream media in terms of ratings.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
Re: fox news "the most trusted media" in america
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 12:42:49 pm »
Hey, they're trustworthy in their own right. Like, I trust them to say what they can to discredit any Democrat.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 02:27:51 pm »
...But Fox news isn't a news channel. They said themselves.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 02:34:29 pm »
Time to get in the box, America.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 02:36:50 pm »

Must see. When did this happen?
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 03:36:10 pm »
When asked, "Do you trust the journalistic coverage provided by FOX News," 20 percent of U.S. voters say "a great deal" and 35 percent say "somewhat."

That was from the source the article used.  so although 1 in 3 people preferred Fox News to other channels, only 1 in 5 of those think highly of it.  In other words, it's less about Fox being the "most trusted" and more about it being the "least distrusted." 

I wonder how the Daily Show and new media would compare, as far as people's trust.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 04:17:42 pm »
When asked, "Do you trust the journalistic coverage provided by FOX News," 20 percent of U.S. voters say "a great deal" and 35 percent say "somewhat."

That was from the source the article used.  so although 1 in 3 people preferred Fox News to other channels, only 1 in 5 of those think highly of it.  In other words, it's less about Fox being the "most trusted" and more about it being the "least distrusted." 

I wonder how the Daily Show and new media would compare, as far as people's trust.

When you get right down to it, nobody trusts the news media anymore.  Millennials especially.  According to a recent poll, they trust it less than Congress or Wall Street.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2563763

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 04:56:10 pm »
I wouldn't be too worried about this. The thing is, most people who watch, say, CNN or ABC know that it's not fully trustworthy, and most who do are elderly. FOX viewers, on the other hand, are rather fanatical, so they think it's the gospel truth.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 11:57:13 pm »
CNN, MSNBS, and a good chunk of other news others can lean left of center. There's only one right wing rag though. It might be with a look to see if that has anything to do with those numbers. Not that I want to see Fix get competition, they're bad enough without adding more info the mix. But if they didn't have that monopoly...
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 12:05:09 am »
Once I make it big, I might decide to make something "right wing". Basically a news channel conservative in the same way Stephen Colbert is conservative.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 04:56:05 pm »

There's a story about how Fox defended itself from a law suit by claiming it was entertainment, not news, and so they are allowed to lie. It's not true.
Σא

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 06:04:40 pm »

There's a story about how Fox defended itself from a law suit by claiming it was entertainment, not news, and so they are allowed to lie. It's not true.

Or rather, they have the right to fire employees who refuse to run nonsense propaganda they know to be untrue on the basis that they are not a news organisation. That really did occur, yes.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 10:18:36 pm »
Source? Or are you referring to the same case I am?
Σא

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 10:50:06 pm »
Source? Or are you referring to the same case I am?

Same case yes.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 12:46:50 am »
Ok. Because as far as I can tell Fox's* argument was that firing a reporter for accusing them of running a false report did not infringe the whistleblower statute, not because they aren't news, but because the whistleblower statute does not cover the FCC's false news provision. (they also never admit to having run false news, just that even if they had, they would still have the right to fire someone for saying they did). I haven't found a good source saying they ever said they aren't news, but most rumours saying they did point back to that case.

It's a fucked-up ruling, I think. But the standard reporting of "Fox argues that it has the right to lie!" is inaccurate.

*actually a Fox affiliate, to be precise.
Σא