Author Topic: First successful three-parent baby born  (Read 3263 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
First successful three-parent baby born
« on: September 27, 2016, 03:42:45 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/3-parent-baby-birth-1.3781026

A baby boy has been born using a "three parent" technique that combines DNA from three individuals, researchers report.

The now-five-month-old was born to Jordanian parents, carried by a 36-year-old mother who had four pregnancy losses and two deceased children who had Leigh syndrome.

Leigh syndrome is a fatal disorder that breaks down the central nervous system, resulting in loss of motor skills and mental ability.

The gene for the disease is found in DNA in the mitochondria, the powerhouse of a cell that provides energy. Mitochondrial DNA is inherited only from the mother.

So what they did was to take the nucleus from an egg from the woman whose mitochondria carried the gene for Leigh syndrome, the mitochondria from a woman who didn't have the gene, and a sperm from the first woman's husband.

Cue the medical ethicists on whether this is a good idea.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: First successful three-parent baby born
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 10:17:26 pm »
Tis a great advancement, but...honestly, I wonder if the money would've been better spent on research in birth control instead of ensuring more children are born.  We have enough people, already.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 11:41:45 pm »
We have enough people, already.

Interesting thought. I suppose it has been a couple generations since a big war or epidemic worked is way around to help out with that.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 12:03:47 am »

Interesting thought. I suppose it has been a couple generations since a big war or epidemic worked is way around to help out with that.

In a way, you can probably thank nuclear weapons (and medical technology) for that. That said, I imagine it's only so long before something truly catastrophic happens. The conditions are right.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 12:31:01 am »
Spanish flu and 2 world wars did a pretty good job for those intuitive low tech.

All that aside, I think this is pretty remarkable. The ethics I can see being a problem down the line, but still.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 12:32:21 am »

In a way, you can probably thank nuclear weapons (and medical technology) for that. That said, I imagine it's only so long before something truly catastrophic happens. The conditions are right.

So... we should be cheering for Trump?
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 01:08:13 am »
I'm not a fan of mass death, mind you. But Trump will at least assure it happens to other people.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 02:19:14 am »
Spanish flu and 2 world wars did a pretty good job for those intuitive low tech.
Then the baby boom undid all of that good work.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 04:50:47 am »
I'm not a fan of mass death, mind you. But Trump will at least assure it happens to other people.

No, Trump will ensure it happens to everyone, by wiping out all the federal environmental protections in the US and allowing the atmosphere to be pumped full of god-knows-what pollutants, likely making the planet too hot for humans to inhabit within the lifetime of anyone under 50, certainly 40.

Obama will start the process, however, by ramming the TPP through in the lame-duck session (aided and abetted by other corporatist shill traitors like Justin Trudeau and Christy Clark), which will allow multinational corporations to sue jurisdictions over most any law (including environmental protections) that cuts into their profits, both overturning the law and bankrupting the jurisdiction in question by forcing them to make up the lost profits. This would be done in an international court from which there would be no appeal.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 07:38:15 am »
I'm a fan of the spell Mass Death for when you have more hit points than sense.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline fancy_kitten

• Bishop
  • The fanciest little kitten
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 03:12:11 pm »
Does this mean polyamorous people can have kids now?
It's me, the little fancy kitten

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 10:26:49 pm »
We could have kids before...

(I don't think they'd do this sort of thing just because someone asked, without medical necessity)
Σא