Author Topic: Your Beliefs  (Read 10836 times)

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
Re: Your Beliefs
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2015, 07:59:09 pm »
I think part of people's sadness regarding no afterlife is fear of the unknown. We don't know what death will feel like as it occurs. We don't know what it's like to lose consciousness and never regain it. As my friend once said in fifth grade, "Will it just be blackness forever?" It'd probably be easier for me to cope with my dad's death if I believed he was currently in eternal paradise, rather than just dead and therefore making it impossible for me to see him again. Death is probably easier for people to accept if they know what to expect. And if you expect eternal paradise, rather than eternal nothingness, that's even easier.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2015, 08:29:15 pm »
My religion believes in reincarnation (which is I think marginally worse than eternal paradise/damnation.) Still I can see the appeal of any kind of afterlife (Except maybe if the Chaos Gods are real in which case yeah fuck that.)

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2015, 08:49:34 pm »
I'm sad I missed this thread.  I'd been away for a few days.

I'm a naturalist.  I don't believe in the supernatural.  While this should make me a crazed amoral monster according to the "good" people of the world because I don't have the threat of eternal punishment hanging over my head, just because I believe that justice isn't an inherent part of the universe doesn't mean that my happiness is the only thing that matters.  If it were, I would be a nihilist.

If the definition of a secular humanist is "Be blind to race, religion and culture" then my "religion" also falls in that category.  I don't snub someone because they're a churchgoer.  But if they're fundie enough, they're already accepting a double standard that I'm going to be punished because I'm not interested in competing for (and of course, losing) the seat that they're getting next to Jesus in that Eternal Banquet.  If they aren't, they might even give me a perspective or some insight that I've overlooked.
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2015, 10:58:51 pm »
Probably a contender for the biggest non-answer, but I'm still formulating my "beliefs". Well, reformulating I guess. As awkward as it might be the schizophrenia has kind of kicked me in the religious jaw. I'd been practicing reformed Judaism, but now I'm not sure.

That said, I'm still pretty anti-magic when it comes to things, so there's that. I respect rituals that provide either discipline training or certain physical or mental benefits, but I'm firmly against stuff like burning sage to keep bad spirits away.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2015, 11:30:18 am »
anti-theist. i won't hate openly on believers (except bigots), but keep that stuff private, and i'll do the same, thank you very much.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯