Author Topic: 8 glasses of water per day? Not necessary.  (Read 3212 times)

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
8 glasses of water per day? Not necessary.
« on: June 05, 2012, 11:09:02 pm »
From MSNBC:

It's not a bad idea to consume 64 ounces of fluid a day, but it's not a scientifically proven idea, either. It likely comes from a 1940s recommendation from the Food and Nutrition Board of the National Research Council, which said that adults should ingest about 2.5 liters of water a day.

"But the often ignored second half of that statement pointed out that most of the water you need is in the foods you eat," explains Dr. Aaron Carroll, associate professor of Pediatrics and the associate director of Children's Health Services Research at Indiana University School.

"(B)ottled water and the entire health culture around drinking more water have been very lucrative," Vreeman explains. "Certainly, your body needs fluids and water is a healthy choice to meet those fluid needs, but many of us spend a lot of money, effort and guilt on forcing ourselves to drink more water than we really need."

So how much water should we be drinking? Whatever your body tells you it needs. Listen to your body, drink when it tells you to, and there's no need to drink more than that. (The idea that "when you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated" is another myth.)

The article discusses research done in Australia, the UK, and the USA.  Apparently, you don't really need to drink that much unless you really like peeing a lot.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
Re: 8 glasses of water per day? Not necessary.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 04:14:09 pm »
...this isn't common sense? I mean, the so-many-ounces thing was never more than a general guideline. And it can vary wildly depending on circumstances.

Someone in a mild temperature area needs less water than someone in an area that's blazing hot. You need more water on days where you do vigorous activity compared to days when you relax. You need more or less water based on your weight, current health, and a million other factors. There's no magic number for water consumption, aside from "drink when you're thirsty".

Hell, it can actually be dangerous to drink too much water. Water poisoning is no joke and can be lethal.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 05:40:51 pm »
My dad, being a phys ed teacher, a coach, and an athletic director, had this guideline:  "Drink enough until you're running clear, or fairly close to it"

... I should know, I paid the price for drinking far too much soda in my college days.  Had the kidney stone to prove it.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 06:42:33 pm »
I usually drink a little too much anyway, I'm a little bit paranoid about dehydration headaches.

Those headaches are fucking evil....
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Jebediah

• Official FSTDT Welcome Committee Head
  • The Beast
  • Winner.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 07:05:23 pm »
I always drink at least 64oz of water a day. It makes my body feel better.
Everybody's doin' the fish.

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 07:17:37 pm »
I don't really drink water. I drink milk and occasionally juice. Skim milk is basically water anyway.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 07:26:33 pm »
I haven't drunk eight glasses of water in the past 80 years.  It's wretched stuff.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 07:46:26 pm »
I drink a lot of water but because I find it refreshing.  I also drink a lot of juice and tea and stuff though too.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Hades

• Balsiest Motherfucker Present
  • The Beast
  • This is a ride, not a fight
    • Fruits of Apathy
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 07:47:39 pm »
I drink maybe 5 glasses a day, plus some coffee. I never liked the idea of forcing myself to drink a certain amount.
22:22 <SugarFreeJazz> the time for hats is now

"I don't know what it is, but nothing makes me hard like the thought of Megan Fox without any skin." - Existentialist Goofy

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 08:49:23 pm »
I can usually get by on 2-4 glasses of water a day + whatever moisture's in food. I always found the idea of 8 glasses a day to be absurdly high.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 02:27:02 am »
Best way I do it is make myself some iced tea in a 2 liter bottle.  67.7 ounces, right there.  Plus tea's good for you on top of that.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 05:06:26 am »
I usually drink a little too much anyway, I'm a little bit paranoid about dehydration headaches.

Those headaches are fucking evil....

I know those all too well, I just thought it was from not eating enough.  Recently I realized otherwise after my headache wouldn't go away for hours until I drank a bottle of water. 

The worse part was admitting my boss was right about something (for once)!
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 09:20:11 am »
My dad, being a phys ed teacher, a coach, and an athletic director, had this guideline:  "Drink enough until you're running clear, or fairly close to it"

... I should know, I paid the price for drinking far too much soda in my college days.  Had the kidney stone to prove it.
That's the sugar, not the water.

The "running clear" part is a good rule too but if you spent the day eating fruits and porridge I think we can waive the 8 cups rule.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 11:16:58 pm »
A lot of the water you take doesn't come from drinking water, or even liquids.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 11:04:16 pm »
Next time my mom tells me that my problems are my fault for not drinking more water, I'm throwing this in her face.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.