Author Topic: Good Things People Say on the Internet  (Read 110968 times)

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
Re: Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 12:48:35 am »
Correct. But it's his fault in this particular case, and I felt irked when I wrote that.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2015, 09:52:11 pm »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 06:21:16 pm »
I am a white Southerner by upbringing and my academic field was history of the South, and I can tell you that EVERY Southerner, white and black, knows EXACTLY what the Confederate flag means--it is an attack on, and a threat to, black people. That is why it was used by the segregationists, the Klan, and the White Supremacy crowd. Anything else is a LIE, and you KNOW you are LYING.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2015, 08:02:08 pm »
Fuck yeah.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2015, 05:39:17 pm »
This  cracked article on the dangers of self pity is pretty good (at least compared to some of their other self help articles), but it's the comments that sum up how I feel about success and the american dream. 

Our collective definition of what we consider success is so warped now that we can't even accommodate for those who do not fit the mould. We define success based on money, lifestyle and this insane trend of who they feature in their social circles. We ignore character, dignity and how some people just do not fit into our societal pegs.

Consider a hypothetical man who is happy being a janitor. He provides for his family. He provides a service for the public. Perhaps he enjoys cleaning things, or perhaps he took this job because he needed to eat.

We have no real respect for this man and others like him, simply because his job isn't challenging according to our standards. We say he shows no initiative. We believe he must have no motivation to excel, and probably is suffering his just desserts for not pursuing an education that would broaden his horizons.

Collectively, we do not consider a janitor a successful man regardless of how he performs his duties, or how his family eats because he cleans buildings for a living. His worth is defined by his station.

And yet, if this janitor does his job with pride, provides for his family and makes as good a life as he can with the hand he was dealt, how is this man not a success?

We live in a world where teachers, those most directly responsible for educating future generations, get paid sh*t. The same world pays bankers incredible, top end salaries and their only job is to turn money into more money for those they work for.

The moment we decided to simply equate a person's worth with the income they command - to define success by paycheck and lifestyle instead of character and dignity - we forgot that success comes in many forms and sometimes, it comes in those places nobody thinks to look.

No, apparently the mere fact of being a janitor disqualifies him from being a success in our eyes. Even though he does his job with pride. Even though he provides for his family, owes no man anything, raises children who are good souls, and does a job most of us spurn with upturned noses with quiet dignity.

This man is not a success?

Aspiration is a good thing, but it is not everything. Right now, the world needs balance and perspective more than it needs aspiration. And we're not going to get it.

From #4:

"And you've heard the excuses. "I want to write a book, but I'm no good at writing." "I want to get a date, but I'm too unattractive." "I want to avenge my brother's death at the state dance fighting regionals, but I'd never be able to pull off the forbidden move.""

One of the most difficult things in life (but very liberating if you pull it off) is realizing and accepting that your true desires are counter to what you've convinced yourself of. If you don't love some part of the process of achieving a goal, it's probably not meant to be.

For example, About a decade ago I made the mammoth mistake of obtaining a BA in English. Because of this poor life decision and the fact that I always had a cool idea or two for science fiction stories rattling around in my brain, I felt like I had some obligation to write novels. The trouble was, every time I tried to write a fiction story, the results were nothing short of a literary abortion.

For the longest time I beat myself up for being a terrible fiction writer who couldn't stay focused long enough to write one chapter let alone an entire novel of hackey dialogue and one dimensional characters. Could I have put in the thousands of hours needed to be a decent fiction writer? Yes, but those would have been the most tedious, miserable, hours of my life. When I was honest with myself, I realized that there was just no part of the fiction writing process I enjoyed. No matter how "good" at it I became, I would still find the process tedious.

The point is the bulk of time spent achieving any goal will be the in process. If you don't enjoy the journey, why are you doing a thing in the first place? This is counter to the underlying philosophy of American society (which is all about hate f*****g round pegs into square holes) but it's totally OK to let something go if you don't like it, as long as you never stop searching for your thing or things.

This is the kind of stuff no one ever mentions in these success sermons.  They don't take into account that different people find different things rewarding.  If you end up hating every step of the process to achieve a goal, then there should be no shame in saying "fuck it" and aim for something more realistic. 

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2015, 12:39:00 am »
Rage, I think a better way to say that instead of saying fuck it and aiming for something more realistic would be to say sometimes you really have to think about when you aim.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2015, 01:50:54 pm »

It's nice to see somebody using trigger warnings correctly for once.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2015, 10:24:25 pm »
Cracked again.  In response to this article

Any post on these forums that hints at the idea that you can improve yourself and your situation will get downvoted. Even if the message is positive. I've experienced it many times. The prevailing attitude seems to be 'you're poor because of the system, there's nothing you can do about it so don't waste your time trying, if you disagree with that you must be white and rich.'
Even if the system does conspire to keep poor people poor, I reject the idea that you can do nothing meaningful to start changing things. In fact, that's the only choice you have. Do nothing or do something. I've experienced lots of failure, and while things don't change overnight, for me the worst times were when I convinced myself there was nothing I could do.

See conservatives?  You can acknowledge that the system is unfair while still trying to improve yourself. 

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2015, 01:23:26 am »
Translated from Finnish:
The next time that some smug bourgeois says that the extreme-tight and extreme-left are practically the same thing, tell them that in Greece the extreme-right committed murders and what they call extreme-left organize voting.

(Referring to how they let the voters choose what to do with their debt predicament just now. Even if you disagree with the Greek government they are at least letting the people decide what to do on important decisions.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2015, 11:03:48 pm »

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2015, 11:07:54 pm »
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2015, 12:21:16 am »
It's play on the "me vs other girls" meme, where you typically had a teenage girl talking about how she wasn't shallow and image obsessed like other girls. Though at this point it's easier to find a parody of it than the real thing.
Σא

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2015, 12:24:44 am »
It's play on the "me vs other girls" meme, where you typically had a teenage girl talking about how she wasn't shallow and image obsessed like other girls. Though at this point it's easier to find a parody of it than the real thing.

In that regard, it's kind of like the "jet fuel can't melt steel beams" claim.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2015, 07:20:23 am »
some guy made up a religion with these commandments to troll people. nevertheless, it's pretty solid advice.

(click to show/hide)
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Art Vandelay

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2015, 07:28:14 am »
Come anywhere near my food and there will be hell to pay.