Author Topic: Piracy Thread!  (Read 11968 times)

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Re: Piracy Thread!
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 10:40:20 pm »
Our current copyright length of 95 years is morally indefensible. Copyright infringement is a valid pushback against excesses like that.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 10:44:33 pm »
Truly, pirates are the robin hoods of our time.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Art Vandelay

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 11:02:10 pm »
Our current copyright length of 95 years is morally indefensible. Copyright infringement is a valid pushback against excesses like that.
Oh please. That's the weakest, most pathetic excuse I've ever heard. Piracy is not political activism. In fact, not only does it motivate such draconic copyright law in the first place, but it also means no business or lawmaker will give a flying fuck about what you have to say. Anyone with even a passing interest in political activism is well aware of this fact. Pirates are not some great heroes, defending the "little guy" from the "evil corporations". They're common thieves, nothing more than that. No puffed up hero complex is going to change or justify it.

Offline Bezron

• a mysterious riddled spicy burrito wrapped enigma...stuck in some hot chick's colon dreaming of fanginas
  • Pope
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 01:49:13 pm »
The point is that just because you own something, you don't have the right to do illegal things with it.

Legality is not the same as morality, and you have not made a clear moral case why copyright infringement is wrong.

How about this:  every copy you acquire illegally is a copy that the company does not sell.  Whether or not you would have purchased it otherwise is a strawman, since you now have the software and have therefore subtracted a sale.  Is it right and moral to subtract sales from a company just because you feel like it?

So you only consume media that is over a certain age?  Or do you consume media that is new?

For the record, these are direct questions.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 01:53:32 pm by Bezron »

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 02:05:56 pm »
Split from the funny pictures thread, please carry on.
Σא

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 03:30:44 pm »
Props to Sigmaleph for moving this.

now where was i...

So you only consume media that is over a certain age?  Or do you consume media that is new?

For the record, these are direct questions.

Like I said, at least when it comes to software, I don't buy it unless I have some assurance that it will be around for a long, long time -- either in some easily-accessible physical media like a video game cartridge or I get the source code so I can port it to newer platforms. Basically, if it's a pay-for-download, I'm not using it. Most of the software that I use is free software, so that's almost never an issue. Almost all of the video games I have are over 15 years old, and I claim 10 years would be a fair copyright duration for games.

The new movies I want to watch are generally in theaters, so I do end up purchasing a movie ticket for those. If the movie is very inconvenient to get to through official channels (say, a film festival release only), I get it with a torrent.

I download new TV shows because they are broadcast to the public and broadcasters should have no expectation that their data remains in private hands. We already made the mistake of leasing valuable TV channel space for them to use exclusively, and I don't see any qualms with storing data that is already being broadcast.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 03:31:53 pm »
I am an artist and writer who earns a small but growing portion of his income from art and writing, which is made possible by intellectual property and copyright law.

Direct question for Ironchew: Is it morally acceptable/should it be legal, in your view, for someone to take copies of my art and writing without my permission?

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 03:43:36 pm »
I am an artist and writer who earns a small but growing portion of his income from art and writing, which is made possible by intellectual property and copyright law.

Direct question for Ironchew: Is it morally acceptable/should it be legal, in your view, for someone to take copies of my art and writing without my permission?

Short answer: yes. You have to provide the claim that restricting what I can do with your media is morally acceptable. Most of us don't get paychecks for work we've done decades ago (thanks to our ludicrously long copyright duration), so I have trouble sympathizing with your plight.

Is it morally acceptable/should it be legal, in your view, for the electronic media devices I use to have spyware installed on them that I cannot remove so that copyright holders can remotely control access to my copies of their work? Is it still moral when this spyware inevitably interferes with other non-copyright-infringement things I want to do with those devices?

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 04:06:34 pm »
I like pirating things, because doing it makes me feel dirty.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 04:11:27 pm »

Short answer: yes.

Oh, to be young and entitled again.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2013, 04:22:25 pm »

You two are the same age. Now start acting like it (obvious joke).

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2013, 04:22:37 pm »

Respect your elder, whippersnapper!

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2013, 04:25:37 pm »
We cannot build general-purpose computers that can do everything except the things copyright holders don't like. It's my right to do whatever I want with my machine. If your proposed solution to the infringement problem is to install spyware on my computer that prevents me from, say, copying certain things, you are in fact violating basic ownership rights and it is in my best interest to circumvent those restrictions.
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winnar!

The purpose of copyright software mechanisms is control first and foremost. Though controlling what a consumer can see and do a company forces a consumer into limited choices. These limited choices are explicitly designed to benefit that company.

The really funny part is that such software mechanisms are costly and ineffective. DRM is a damn good example. How much did it cost to develop and maintain? How much additional cost was incurred by the backlash and conflict with anti-virus companies? How quickly is it defeated by pirates?
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2013, 04:32:39 pm »
Everytime i pirate somethung and piss off a moralfag.

I get an erection.
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2013, 04:40:42 pm »

You two are the same age. Now start acting like it (obvious joke).

You want me to get stupider?

That might actually cause a black hole.