Author Topic: Backlash Against Roofie-Detecting Nail Polish  (Read 9556 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: Backlash Against Roofie-Detecting Nail Polish
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2014, 12:04:30 pm »
Wouldn't it be more practical to invent a glass that can change colour when a date rape drug is detected, then stock those in as many bars as possible

(Of course, I don't have a degree in Chemistry or anything, so I have no idea how feasible this idea is)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2014, 12:42:02 pm »
Its certainly possible, methinks, but that may just end up with predators sticking to bars that either can't afford them or just don't care.  However, its not a bad idea...
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2014, 01:52:08 pm »
Wouldn't it be more practical to invent a glass that can change colour when a date rape drug is detected, then stock those in as many bars as possible

(Of course, I don't have a degree in Chemistry or anything, so I have no idea how feasible this idea is)

Well, for one thing, you're going to have to have some process available to reverse the reaction as well, or else the glass will just be tinted forever, which would make it kinda useless as a date-rape prevention glass. But the biggest concern would probably be money. A glass like this would inherently be significantly more expensive than your usual glass, and bars, like all businesses, like to make as much money as possible. Announcing they sell date rape glasses isn't likely to significantly increase their profits (though in an ideal world, it wouldn't lower them either), so they end up losing money on the date-rape glasses. Not announcing that they have these glasses would be even worse from a financial standpoint, because then they're spending extra money on something the customers will never know about.

It's all about the money.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2014, 12:05:26 pm »
I just read that the nail polish thing was another bit of baloney put on The Web.....

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/5-b.s.-stories-that-went-viral-anti-roofie-nail-polish/
Go to #3.