Author Topic: Sin of Sodom, another take  (Read 5158 times)

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
Re: Sin of Sodom, another take
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 06:29:50 am »
If I remember correctly, the take on Sodom and Gomorrah in Judaism was that their sin was selfishness and a lack of hospitality to outsiders.
Make that a ban on hospitality to outsiders. They had laws against charity. You know, like in Atlas Shrugged.

In other words, Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed for being Randian. God must hate Randroids.

Tell that to conservative Christians opposing welfare. xD
If Paul Ryan gets struck by lightning I may convert.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 08:05:59 am »
Yeah, typical fundie hypocracy.  A Bible quote telling people to be nice to others is taken out of context, but one saying gays are evil must be followed to the bloody letter.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 09:39:10 am »
If I remember correctly, the take on Sodom and Gomorrah in Judaism was that their sin was selfishness and a lack of hospitality to outsiders.
Make that a ban on hospitality to outsiders. They had laws against charity. You know, like in Atlas Shrugged.

In other words, Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed for being Randian. God must hate Randroids.

Tell that to conservative Christians opposing welfare. xD

Silly person, Republicans are just supposed to personally be charitable to every poor person instead of letting the government do it!

Sad part is that I think that'd honestly think that's a better situation than government run methods, It's extremely unrealistic with current models of human interaction.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Art Vandelay

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 08:50:43 pm »
And raping angels.
Are they like weeping angels? No wonder Sodom got God-nuked.
Most likely a lot worse, actually. Pre-Renaissance angels were fucked up little bastards.
Beasts with multiple heads and wings that defile you when you're not looking. The people of Sodom didn't want to "know" them, they wanted to study them for a way to defend themselves. When they got too close to developing a weapon, God had to destroy the town and all its knowledge with it.
Didn't quite work, though. Sodomite weapon smiths managed to escape to the Jezreel Valley, taking their working knowledge of iron chariots with them.

Offline FirsthandTuna

• Pope
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 09:23:24 pm »
And raping angels.
Are they like weeping angels? No wonder Sodom got God-nuked.
Most likely a lot worse, actually. Pre-Renaissance angels were fucked up little bastards.
Beasts with multiple heads and wings that defile you when you're not looking. The people of Sodom didn't want to "know" them, they wanted to study them for a way to defend themselves. When they got too close to developing a weapon, God had to destroy the town and all its knowledge with it.
Didn't quite work, though. Sodomite weapon smiths managed to escape to the Jezreel Valley, taking their working knowledge of iron chariots with them.
And that's how Thanksgiving was born!
"Fraudulent ONEness of religious academia has retarded your opposite rationale brain to a half brain slave." - The Wisest Man Who Ever Lived