Author Topic: White Supremacists Plot Radiological Attack  (Read 4786 times)

Offline SkyTrekTower

• Bishop
White Supremacists Plot Radiological Attack
« on: June 20, 2013, 03:32:06 pm »
Two New York state men have been charged in a bizarre plan to develop a mobile X-ray system that would be used from afar to silently kill people that they deemed "undesirable," federal officials said.

Glendon Scott Crawford, 49, and Eric J. Feight, 54, were arrested Tuesday after an undercover operation by the Albany FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force. They were charged with conspiracy to provide material support for use of a weapon of mass destruction, according to the criminal complaint.

Crawford and Feight were developing a device "intended to be mobile ... designed to turn on remotely from some distance away" that would emit "some dangerous levels of X-ray radiation," according to John Duncan, executive assistant U.S. attorney for the Northern District of New York.
Individuals who might have been "subject to this X-ray radiation, would not immediately know that they had been harmed until some days later when they would either be injured, or it could result in their death," he said.

The suspects intended to use the device to harm and kill "enemies of Israel," a Department of Justice news release said.

Undercover agents allegedly heard Crawford, a self-described member of the Ku Klux Klan, state that he "harbors animosity towards individuals and groups that he perceives as hostile to the interests of the United States" and refers to them as "medical waste." He specifically identified Muslims as belonging to this group, according to the criminal complaint.

Crawford and Feight appeared in court Wednesday. If convicted, each faces up to 15 years in prison, a $250,000 fine and five years of supervised release.

[snip]

According to the criminal complaint, Crawford repeatedly used another GE employee as a proxy "to covertly obtain the parts list for the remote initiation system" among other things, at times meeting in GE's parking lot.

Wiggins told CNN on Wednesday that he could not speak to those allegations.
Crawford contacted two Jewish organizations in April 2012 for funding assistance of an "off the shelf" technology that could be used by Israel to defeat its enemies by killing them while the slept, according to the criminal complaint.

[snip]

Crawford said the lethal machine would be capable of emitting 8 to 10 grays -- a unit of radiation dose -- toward the target Muslim community, according to the criminal complaint. The radiation-emitting device would be "Hiroshima on a light switch," Crawford said, and that "everything with respiration would be dead by the morning."

Feight was recruited by Crawford to develop a "remote initiation device" powered "by a plug-in cigarette lighter electrical source," according to an affidavit by FBI Special Agent Geoffrey Kent. The system would have three parts -- the X-ray, a power source and a remote initiation device -- and it would fit into a truck, the complaint said.

A couple things:
1. How the hell is the max sentence only 15yrs in prison?
2. Given they are Klan members, I initially  thought by "enemies of Israel", they meant the British Israelism definition...maybe they're just holding onto pre 1994 SBC theology.
3. What the hell did they expect to happen when they sought outside groups for help?  Thank god most terrorists are too stupid to realize that not everyone with similar views(in this case, being pro-Israel) have the same goals/ambitions.

Link
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 03:39:14 pm by SkyTrekTower »

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: White Supremacists Plot Radiological Attack
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 04:32:06 pm »
I got gooseflesh contemplating the what ifs on that one. Kudos to FBI and Albany PD.

That the device design was competent and fully capable of doing mass murder, I agree, these guys need to face MUCH stiffer prison time, namely life without parole. That level of utter contempt for human life and desire to end it, especially in so sneaky and cowardly a manner, just burns up their human race membership cards.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 05:02:50 pm »
It qualifies as a Rube Goldberg device in my opinion.  I would suggest really huge water guns, although I still have to work on the concealment problem.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 03:37:45 am »
Good job on the apprehension of these crazies, but really, these guys seem to have a critical misunderstanding of how radiation actually works and kills living things.

Seriously if a device like this were scientifically possible, American would have them strapped to drones by now. The problem is that radiation is easily blocked by solid structures, but also will bathe the area closest to the emitter in the highest dose of radiation, making anyone attempting to use the weapon receive the most radiation. All the wile the intended targets would receive much lower doses, and if they are not directly exposed, probably negligible doses.

There are workable ways to do this, the most common being the "dirty" bomb, which is outlawed by the Geneva convention. It is basically a low quality nuclear weapon, on explosion the same approximate level of radiation is released, but far less damage is done. It is treated in the same category as a chemical weapon. However this is still a bomb device, not something you can point and shoot.

I do agree that these men deserve much harsher punishment though. Although they had no idea what they were actually doing, they were still essentially making an extremely dangerous internationally condemned weapon. These activities rate at about the same level of terrorism as the 9/11 attacks.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 06:48:26 am »
They said that he was a "self-described member of the Ku Klux Klan." Does that mean that he wasn't in the Klan proper and was merely a fanboy/wannabe? Even apart from the Klan thingy, it sounds like he was also ultranationalistic ("enemies of USA" bit) and possibly either christian or jewish fundie if I am judging the "enemies of Israel" bit correctly.

And from what I know about radiation it seems like he didn't know what he was talking about. "Hiroshima on a light switch?" Carried by a truck? Did he mean to have a hunk of radioactive substance in a lead box which would be opened remotely? Or did he really think he could have some kind of radiation gun? Getting enough radioactive material to "kill people overnight" is pretty hard since you'd need a huge amount of it.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 07:47:38 am »
The problem is that radiation is easily blocked by solid structures, but also will bathe the area closest to the emitter in the highest dose of radiation, making anyone attempting to use the weapon receive the most radiation. All the wile the intended targets would receive much lower doses, and if they are not directly exposed, probably negligible doses.

Meaning if these goombah's actually stumbled on a working way of transmitting microwaves they'd cook themselves trying to fry other people.

Sounds like the feds did them a favor by throwing their stupid arses in jail!

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 10:26:17 am »
this plot sounds like something out of a Saturday morning cartoon. it's harder to take it seriously than it probably should be.
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 11:01:32 am »
The suspects are morally idiots, of course, but not low IQ and not incompetent. One works as a manufacturing tech at General Electric, the other is a mechanic. Think of motivated, garage inventor type hateful bastards with access to good quality parts and the skills and intelligence to understand, design and build something surprisingly simple for what it does, using mostly off-the-shelf components. The design of the device was to have it turn on remotely, focusing X-rays in a relatively narrow emission cone/beam. That is how medical x-ray graphs are done right now, but at much lower Grey dose levels. X-ray technicians wear lead-lined aprons for a reason. The FBI statements that the device would have worked, would have silently, stealthily dosed victims with bursts of lethal level Greys of x-rays makes me pale to think about.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline MadmanJohnson

• Wrath of Primus
  • Pope
  • Able to creep out Deimos.
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 11:48:42 am »
Well, that's going to haunt our nightmares.
Before you die an agonizing, chainsaw-related death, you're gonna hear about the Hate Plague!
I'm accusing you of being stupid.
I dare to be stupid.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 01:10:22 am »
Eep.

So you could be targeted by these nutcases, not even know it, and die miserably not even knowing what killed you...

Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 01:25:56 am »
Justice in this case would consist of frying their balls with radiation.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 04:19:36 pm »
Eep.

So you could be targeted by these nutcases, not even know it, and die miserably not even knowing what killed you...

Only if it worked.

Ironbite-but seeing what these idiots wanted the thing to do I highly doubt it would.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 04:28:20 pm »
The FBI has stated that the device design was completely feasible and deadly. The Feds have engineers available to analyze things like this.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 07:06:07 pm »
The FBI has stated that the device design was completely feasible and deadly. The Feds have engineers available to analyze things like this.
Do you have a link?
Σא

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 11:28:20 pm »
Do you have a link?

I'm going to second that as I would like to read it for myself. The idea that some people actually were trying to make a sophisticated radiological weapon is very alarming.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman