Author Topic: Fred Phelps is apparently near death  (Read 22237 times)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: Fred Phelps is apparently near death
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2014, 09:55:45 am »
Personally, I hope that no one protests Phelps' funeral. Since he's excommunicated, I suppose that no WBC members will attend his funeral, if a proper funeral service will even be held. Just dig a hole, drop him in, and walk away.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2014, 11:48:57 am »
I hope he retains all his faculties and lives a long, long, long time.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2014, 05:27:56 pm »
I think it'd be appropriate to have a bunch of people picket his funeral and if anyone asks why they are doing such awful things to them
"Hey bitch, you reap what you sow"

Gonna have to agree with R. U. Sirius on this one. Picketing funerals not only brings us down to their level, but it would fuel their persecution complex and give them tales to regale new congregants with.

Will it happen? Probably. I just wouldn't recommend it.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Raymond Dullaghy

• Apprentice
  • God before dogma!
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2014, 09:06:45 am »
As much as I consider him a stain on the faith, protesting at the funeral would be unwise. Don't feed the trolls.
I'm in science to discover and analyze God's wonderful universe, not gripe about how people don't like God.  I believe the creation/evolution debate is a waste of Christian brains (we have them, believe it or not) that could be better spent on making actual things.

Favorite philosophers (out of the ones I've personally read): Jesus, Solomon, Marcus Aurelius, Immanuel Kant

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2014, 01:37:03 pm »
The Church isn't even going to have a funeral for him so it's kind of a moot point whether or not it should be picketed.

Offline fancy_kitten

• Bishop
  • The fanciest little kitten
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2014, 07:51:23 pm »
I'm pretty glad to hear that they won't be holding a funeral for him, it would have been a total clusterpoop and would have benefitted nobody.  That being said I'm mostly proud of the LGBTQ community at large for the maturity they've shown in condemning the idea of picketing Fred's funeral, I think it's pretty clear-cut who was in the right all along.
It's me, the little fancy kitten

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2014, 09:21:32 pm »
The comments section in that blog post does include some posts that say the church essentially teaches that dying at ALL means God hates you, and for this reason they expected Fred to be immortal. They don't provide citations, though, so take that with a grain of sodium-based seasoning.

By that logic, the whole family's hellbound by default! Weirdos.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2014, 10:50:58 pm »
On the one hand, I want to create a dance party on his grave where everyone waltzes to Boboflex's "I'm Glad You're Dead." OTOH, if I did that, I'd be no better than his little cult.

I hate having ethics sometimes, I really do. In all seriousness, why give him more attention than he and his cult have already gotten?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2014, 12:44:36 am »
Second post because relevance, that's why:

http://cjonline.com/news/2014-03-17/elders-excommunicate-phelps-after-power-struggle-call-kindness-within-church?hesnotgay

From the looks of it, Fred Phelps tried to become a voice of reason. Too little, too late. Shelley Phelps-Roper is also out of power, replaced by a council of elders. Pretty sad when a lunatic like Fred becomes the voice of reason in the whole thing. My theory is that right now they're doing spin control.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2014, 01:43:02 am »
Interesting, I think the excommunication came about because Fred was trying to protect his daughter. She had lost the power struggle between the elders and herself as who would be the dominant person in the church. I assume she went to her dad to try and use his position as founder to get her power back, and they excommunicated him for that.

In a way I do actually feel sorry for him. That church and his family, for all its hatred and bile was his entire life. He has been exiled from his life's work, and effectively betrayed by his own family. After all, the counsel of elders is basically made up of various Phelps clan members. I am surprised he is still alive because that would be pretty soul crushing to anyone.

I wonder though, With Fred and his daughter out of any position of power or control of the church, I wonder if they will start to become more moderate. The church and clan breeds he hatred and clan loyalty through a messed up mix of persecution complex and Stockholm syndrome. If the amount of picketing and such begins to decline, the abuse the clan members receive will too, and in turn will help free them all from the crazy cult they are all part of.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2014, 01:49:49 am »
Wait, these are people so obscenely obsessed with their own doctrines of hate, they threw their own father out of the Hate Church he, himself, formed?

And for not being hateful enough?

This is actually kind of scary.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2014, 03:19:11 am »
Sylvana: I wouldn't hold my breathe, given what they're doing right now. Their actions indicate them going even further down the spiral.

Niam: It is scary. This would be on par with the Joker being thrown out of the Legion of Doom for not being evil enough.

Offline fancy_kitten

• Bishop
  • The fanciest little kitten
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2014, 06:13:16 am »
I would say it's more like throwing Lex Luthor out for trying to create less of a cutthroat environment between the Legion's members, not (if I read the article right) people who were outside the group -he'd still not care or actively celebrate their deaths if it suited his purposes- just their members.  Possibly just because that attitude isn't conducive to getting anything done.  Also, after skimming that article I'm super disappointed and even more angry, Fred apparently wasn't mellowing out in his old age, he was just trying to give the church's noobs advice they were too spiteful or too ignorant to take.
It's me, the little fancy kitten

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2014, 02:00:09 pm »
With any luck, their rejection of internal harmony within the church will cause it to schism into multiple smaller ones, which will (hopefully) each have too little in the way of members and wealth to pull the stunts that WBC is famous for. Maybe then they'll have to find real jobs, see the real world and learn that other people are, well, people.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2014, 03:01:00 pm »
If Fred is on death's doorstep...someone open the door for him.

Ironbite-it's the polite thing to do.