Author Topic: Kirk Cameron: Christmas is Pure Christian  (Read 3342 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Kirk Cameron: Christmas is Pure Christian
« on: November 16, 2014, 08:35:40 pm »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/12/kirk-cameron-christmas_n_6149592.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Kirk Cameron wants people to know that many have Christmas all wrong. It's not a Christian holiday with pagan origins, but a Christian creation through and through.

In his new film, "Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas," the former "Growing Pains" star and popular evangelical figure told the Christian Post he's taking aim at all the people "who really want to put a big wet blanket on the celebration."

"It starts this time of year. You have people who want to pull down nativity scenes, you have lawsuits showing up in schools that can't have Christmas performances ... it has to be winter break or holiday break or sparkle season ... they want to take that out of Christmas so they don't offend people who hate Christmas. And then we have a new group who are telling us, convincingly, that Christmas is actually a celebration of paganism."

The Bible doesn't specify the date of Jesus' birth. Some scholars believe it was in the spring, while others have used the clues in the Bible to estimate an autumn birth. However, many modern Christmas traditions, including the Dec. 25 date and a celebration based around a tree, began as pagan celebrations of winter, such as Yule and Saturnalia.

Even the Christian Post notes on a separate page that Pope Gregory I once wrote to his missionary in England not to block traditional pagan festivals, instructing him instead to "adapt them to the rites of the Church, only changing the reason of them from a heathen to a Christian impulse."

I can't wait for him to break out more terrible photoshops.

Offline Nemo

• Pope
Re: Kirk Cameron: Christmas is Pure Christian
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 08:51:50 am »
Ah yes, the annual War on Christmas. I'm surprised that the fundies are upset about calling it "winter break". We all know what "winter" means. If anything, David Silverman should be the one upset. And Kirk, people were celebrating the Solstice for long before there were Christians. You don't know what you are talking about.
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 09:50:45 am »
I've been on the frontline on the War on Christmas. I've seen things you'll never believe, man!

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 12:11:31 pm »
If anything, David Silverman should be the one upset.

Why would Silverman be upset about calling it winter break?
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Murdin

• Bishop
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 03:09:56 pm »
I can't wait for him to break out more terrible photoshops.

*Squeals with excitement*

This is why I love Christmas so much ;D

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 06:13:33 pm »
Hot damn! I'll get the spiced egg nog!
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 11:15:26 am »
I have no problem with nativity scenes. As long as they are on a church property or someones private property, and not in the government owned public square.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 11:27:05 am »
I have no problem with nativity scenes. As long as they are on a church property or someones private property, and not in the government owned public square.

And that's how it ought to be, ideally.  Alas, certain dominionist factions won't be happy until people are forced to display Christian symbology of some sort or another on property both public and private.  Another example of a whiny minority making an entire, otherwise perfectly reasonable, group look bad.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 03:23:49 am »
SATURNALIA!

That is all.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 05:13:01 pm »
He's asking his Facebook fans to do a run on Rotten Tomatoes because apparently RT controls what movies are shown on what screens.

Ironbite-I don't think he understands how these things work.