Author Topic: AZ say you're pregnant 2 weeks before conception  (Read 3490 times)

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
AZ say you're pregnant 2 weeks before conception
« on: April 03, 2012, 04:09:30 pm »
AZ is trying to ban abortion earlier (because of the 20 week abortion ban) by saying you're pregnant before you are pregnant!

Legislators have had so much success smuggling in ulterior motives with 20-week bans that they’re now looking for ways to expand the amount of hard right anti-choice nonsense they can attach to those bills. The most recent---and extreme---example is Arizona. There, lawmakers are writing a 20-week abortion ban that starts counting off at the first day of a woman’s period. Yes, they’re arguing that you’re “pregnant” while you’re actually getting your period. In fact, as Kate Sheppard at Mother Jones explains, they’re really trying to steal as many weeks as possible away from women seeking abortion:

Most women ovulate about 14 or 15 days after their period starts, and women can usually get pregnant from sexual intercourse that occured anywhere between five days before ovulation and a day after it. Arizona's law would start the clock at a woman's last period—which means, in practice, that the law prohibits abortion later than 18 weeks after a woman actually becomes pregnant.
That’s bad in and of itself, but taking a step back and looking at the big picture makes this law look even more sinister. Medically speaking, pregnancy starts when a fertilized egg implants in the uterine lining. Anti-choicers have attempted to define it earlier with their failed attempts to pass “personhood” law that would define not just pregnancy, but “personhood” as beginning at conception. Now in Arizona, they’re trying to argue that you’re pregnant a couple of weeks before you even had the sex that resulted in your pregnancy.

If ever there was a something to show that pro-lifers don't know squat about biology or pregnancy or anything really. They're that fucking desperate.

Forgot the linky: http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/article/2012/04/01/arizona-legislators-trying-to-declare-pregnancy-two-weeks-prior-to-conception
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 04:13:35 pm by gyeonghwa »
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
Re: AZ say you're pregnant 2 weeks before conception
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 04:33:57 pm »

Cloudy

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 04:41:13 pm »
And it's Arizona again.  What a surprise.  ::)

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 04:41:29 pm »
By that logic, every time a woman menstruates she's had an abortion, and...OK, I'd better stop this post right here before I give the anti-choicers ideas.

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 05:30:32 pm »
This is so fucking insane that it honestly looks like a heavy-handed Poe or something from the Onion. No way can people actually really be this crazy, but obviously they are. I really need to stop thinking 'there's no way anyone can be dumb enough to....' because no matter what I come up with someone somewhere always turns out to disappoint me. And the most disappointing part of THAT is that quite a few of them are government leaders.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 05:38:07 pm »
SMALL GOVERNMENT!  JOBS!  ECONOMY!

Ironbite-god those people are stupid.

Offline FirsthandTuna

• Pope
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 05:47:08 pm »
So they're basically saying ova are equivalent to fetuses? What about sperm, then?
"Fraudulent ONEness of religious academia has retarded your opposite rationale brain to a half brain slave." - The Wisest Man Who Ever Lived

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 06:46:48 pm »
0_o

...the fuck is wrong with these people...? We should probably just nuke the state and get it over with.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 06:47:42 pm »
So they're basically saying ova are equivalent to fetuses? What about sperm, then?

Every sperm is sacred.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 06:47:59 pm »
They're basing it on the date of the woman's last period, not ovulation, meaning that there isn't even an ovum available to be fertilized yet (unless you count the ones still in her ovaries -- and I wouldn't be shocked if they do).

Not that I support this bill -- it's obviously a back-handed attempt at further limiting abortion through technicalities -- but there is actually some medical basis for the way they're calculating the weeks, as pregnancy is counted from the first day of the woman's last period rather than the date of conception. If a doctor says a woman is twenty weeks pregnant, (s)he really means that the expectant mother is estimated to have been carrying the fetus for roughly 18 weeks (including the initial zygote, blastocyst, etc. stages). This is done because it's too difficult to estimate the date of conception and calculate from there. Accordingly, they could actually make a legal case for this bill, based upon the language in the 20 week law (assuming it says 20 weeks pregnant, rather than 20 weeks fetal age).

Like I said: Back-handed bill based on technicalities.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 07:30:58 pm by Mlle Antéchrist »
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 02:20:29 am »
It did occur to you guys to look at the date the article was posted on, right?
This is so stupid that I cant honestly believe its real, and the April 1st date on it makes me believe that even more.
As a general rule I don't trust any news article that comes out on April 1st.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 02:25:17 am »
Yes, I thought about the date. But the news source provided (Mother Jones) dated before April 1st and linked to the PDF with the intended legislation.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline tempus

• Bishop
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 04:04:31 am »
Just when I think the religious right can't get anymore insane, just when I think they've hit rock-bottom, they grab a shovel and start digging. 

That's it, people, reality has finally surpassed the wildest parody.  Everyone out of the pool. 
Congratulations.  You found Ronald Reagan. He’s living in each and every one of you.  Just waiting to gnaw his way out of your chest and skitter off into the ventilation ducts.

--Neckfucker

That shape...that figure...those curves...god damn the weighted companion cube has never looked so good!

--Anonymous

Los Angeles is a city of brick, steel, concrete, and asphalt. There's no room for cows.

--CommanderCoffee

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 07:09:01 am »
I think this was a low point George Carlin joked about...Arizona that was a joke not a guide.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
    • Queer & Khmer