Author Topic: Teacher Claims She Was Fired From Catholic School For In Vitro Fertilization  (Read 2375 times)

Offline SkyTrekTower

• Bishop
I'm not sure what to think on this case.  On one hand, she probably had to agree to live a "Catholic" life when she was hired.  On the other hand, I don't see how this is immoral.

INDIANAPOLIS -- An Indiana teacher who says she was fired from a Roman Catholic school for using in vitro fertilization to try to get pregnant is suing in a case that could set up a legal showdown over reproductive and religious rights.

Emily Herx's lawsuit accuses the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend and St. Vincent de Paul school in Fort Wayne of discrimination for her firing last June. Herx, 31, of Hoagland, Ind., says that the church pastor told her she was a "grave, immoral sinner" and that a scandal would erupt if anyone learned she had undergone in vitro fertilization, or IVF.

Link

Isn't trying all options to have a kid pro-life? /smartass

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Oh if she was married and her and her husband were trying to have a kid....they have no legs to stand on morally.

Ironbite-legally...it's more murky.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
but she could have adopted some kids, we don't take to kindly to those unnatural methods!
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
I thought the catholic church was ok with in-vitro fertilization. I am sure there was some message from the Vatican about it, although I might be mistaken.

From a legal point of view though in all these anti-women cases the Catholics have been getting up to. Wouldn't the catholic church have to prove that such actions like in-vitro fertilization and contraception actually violate their religious doctrine? As in prove in their bible and official decrees from the Vatican and the pope that such things are truly against the church?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Popletine ruled a little while ago that IVF is AGAINST GAWD AND IS AN ABOMINATION AND IF YOU CAN'T GET PREGGERS IN THE BED ROOM THEN BY ME YOU SHOULDN'T BE PREGGERS AT ALL!

Ironbite-it's even in the article if you read it.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
How did the school learn about this?  Did the woman post a billboard somewhere?
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline SkyTrekTower

• Bishop
How did the school learn about this?  Did the woman post a billboard somewhere?

They found out after she told the school administration that she was using sick days for treatment.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
Popletine ruled a little while ago that IVF is AGAINST GAWD AND IS AN ABOMINATION AND IF YOU CAN'T GET PREGGERS IN THE BED ROOM THEN BY ME YOU SHOULDN'T BE PREGGERS AT ALL!

Ironbite-it's even in the article if you read it.

Was this before or after saying people who can't get pregnant aren't allowed to married? And I don't think adopting counts as "having kids" for them either.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
The Catholic Church is clinging to traditions that are far outdated.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline malendras

• Neonate
This honestly doesn't surprise me. I went to a catholic high school, and once had my religion teacher compare surrogate mothers to Josef Mengele. No shit. Of course, the same teacher also showed us a video that claimed abortion doctors are actually in a worldwide conspiracy to provide aborted baby fetuses to cannibals, and thought there was a liberal atheist conspiracy to take over the courts and outlaw christianity. This woman taught religion at a catholic school for like 30 years.

So, yeah, catholics can be batshit, especially over surrogate motherhood.

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
My entire family was RC, and I've honestly never heard of this being an issue with anyone before... My dad never seemed to have any problems with it, and he almost became a priest when he was younger...