Author Topic: Canada Legalizes Recreational Marijuana Use  (Read 1978 times)

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
Canada Legalizes Recreational Marijuana Use
« on: June 24, 2018, 12:52:38 pm »
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Canada Legalizes Recreational Marijuana Use
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 01:13:30 pm »
Does that mean that hipsters from USA will take over it and rename it to New York like they did to the previous New Amsterdam?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 02:38:39 am »
Dude
weed

ayyyyyy

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 03:21:36 am »
The really egregious part of this whole thing is how some provinces are treating it.

For instance, Quebec and Manitoba want to ban home growing, even though the federal government says you can have four plants at home. (Unclear who's got jurisdiction here--it may be that there will be no criminal penalties for growing up to four at home, but provinces may be able to enact further restrictions through their s. 92 powers.)

And Ontario and Quebec both (last I checked) decided that the model various US states used, of having private businesses sell pot while the government collects tax revenues (like Colorado, where they ended up with more tax money than they knew what to do with), wasn't for them and gave themselves nice government monopolies instead.

I can only imagine what might happen if prostitution is ever fully legalized (y'know, like it should be anyway). Will some provinces decide that we have to go to government brothels?
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 11:25:21 am »
HA.  Okay, the idea of state-run bordellos is just too hilarious to pass up.  This must become a thing.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 12:06:54 pm »
It should be already be a thing but darn our Puritan sense of sex and sexuality.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 12:34:32 pm »
I'm not opposed to government owned monopolies. Finnish gambling and (most of) alcohol sales being a government monopoly seems to work decently.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 01:30:14 pm »
I'm not opposed to government owned monopolies. Finnish gambling and (most of) alcohol sales being a government monopoly seems to work decently.

There's certain matters where government monopolies are preferable, or at least very strict government regulation.

Not sure if alcohol is an appropriate monopoly (though I'd at least want that sold in standalone stores, private or not, not mixed in with everything else as in many if not all US states), and the same goes for marijuana. Gambling at least calls for extremely strict regulation to ensure that bettors aren't getting screwed, though, again, not sure if a government monopoly is best.

Same would go for prostitution--strict regulation (to make sure the workers don't have STIs and such), but not a government monopoly.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 04:13:28 pm »
Hell, if memory serves, Virginia has a more-or-less state monopoly on liquor stores.  The only thing I have to complain about, there is that they're a little smaller than I'd like and don't rotate their samplers often, if at all.  Minor quibbles, really, and the stores are almost always well-kept or at least clean.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 05:14:10 pm »
Clean yes, samplers what?

Ironbite-they have samplers?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 07:24:57 pm »
The little 100mL bottles off to the side.  You pay for 'em, but they're samples of bigger liquor bottles.