Author Topic: Careers thread  (Read 6015 times)

Offline wrongfrog

• Apprentice
Careers thread
« on: November 11, 2012, 12:51:13 pm »
I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread for general career discussion for both people who want to talk about what they currently do, what they plan on doing, or even for people who are undecided and want to talk about their potential choices.  And pointing out downsides to certain careers people have decided on is welcome, but please be respectful when doing so.

So, I'll start off with saying I plan on becoming a History teacher at the high school level. It's a subject I have great interest in, and teaching does seem like a job I would very much enjoy. Contrary to popular belief, salaries are actually fairly decent in many areas (it's subject to your district). And things like competition are dependent on what area you're looking to teach in as well.

Also, as a side thing, I am very motivated to become an LGBT rights activist. I care deeply about progressing towards greater acceptance for queer individuals, and I've never felt comfortable with passive support. One thing I want to focus on is helping to bring the trans* rights movement to the mainstream, and anyone who is aware of the state of transgender equality in this country knows why that's important. I plan on writing books in the future, and I would like to either have my own blog, or write for a website.

My main gripe is that being an activist would jeopardize my teaching job. I don't plan on promoting any kind of viewpoint in the classroom, but I dunno, I have never heard of a high school teacher who also participates in social activism. I can't really tell if this fear is justified or I'm being too paranoid.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
Re: Careers thread
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 03:47:19 pm »
I don't think you're being paranoid since teachers endure a lot of scrutiny and can be fired for very trivial reasons. That said, I still think you have a great idea and I hope you're able to go through with it, especially as the nation evolves to be more accepting.

When I was younger, I wanted to be a teacher. I loved the thought of bestowing knowledge, and being able to teach a class that can give children a thirst for knowledge. However, I decided against that as I grew older for two reasons: 1. I don't have the charisma for it, and 2. I dislike children too much.

I've always loved writing and thought about having a career involving it, but as I researched job opportunities for English and communications majors, I gradually lost hope. I wanted to be an author, but such a thing wouldn't provide me with enough stability, in my eyes, so I decided to keep it as a hobby. I haven't written much lately due to lack of time, energy, and motivation, though I still have a million story ideas swirling in my head that I ought to write down.

At long last, I decided to go into computer science, which is my current major in college. It combines my love of editing, creativity, and problem-solving, and I think it'll be a career I'm able to enjoy. I also love the geeky side of it, being able to discuss various technologies with classmates and eventually co-workers, and I'm hoping to get a good internship this summer that'll give me experience and beef up my resume.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 03:56:08 pm »
My plan in 5-10 years is to go back to school and get my Master's, so I can spend the rest of my life teaching English.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 04:17:51 pm »
I want to be a lawyer, though my parents want me to be a doctor. Overall, I plan to finish undergrad, go to specialty school (law or medicine, whatever), and pursue my career in that field while writing novels/getting married and raising children/doing life stuff.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 04:36:35 pm »
I'm retired.  When I was young I wanted to be a sex fiend, but I flunked the physical.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 04:54:33 pm »
Right now I'm studying biomedicine, and my goal is to work is something like the CDC. If not that then research in biotechnology, if not that then I'll settle with a nice stable lab technician job at a hospital or pathology lab
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Patches

• Bishop
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 06:13:12 pm »
I'm a software quality control engineer for a major company.  Currently vegging in a hotel in Mexico while on a business trip.  It would be nice if anyone had given me a straight answer to my dozens of e-mails inquiring just what this trip was for and what I was supposed to be doing down here.  Already spent a week in the offices down here with both the Mexican engineers and me just looking at each other like, "... Okay?"  I figure next week, when more of the American engineering team gets down here, they'll start whining at me that I haven't been doing what they sent me down here to do, but will still refuse to tell me exactly what that is.  This whole thing has gone like:

LEAD ENGINEER: "Hey, I'm sending you to Mexico for my project."
ME: "... Why?"
LA: "To test it."
ME: "Why would I need to go to Mexico to test it?  I can test software here just fine."
LA: "You need to go to Mexico."
ME: "When?"
LA: "Next week."
ME: "What?  But I don't even have a passport."
LA: "Then as soon as you get one."
*two weeks and many company fees later*
ME: "Okay, I have my passport."
LA: "Well, the project's been delayed."
ME: "So, do I not have to go to Mexico, then?"
LA: "No, you're still going, I just don't know when.  Keep yourself open."
*one month later*
ME: "So... Mexico?"
LA: "I dunno.  Sometime in November, maybe.  How about over Thanksgiving?"
ME: "What?  But Mexico doesn't observe Thanksgiving and I'm not allowed to take holiday pay by working those days."
LA: "Well, that's when I want you to go."
ME: "How about the week before?"
LA: "Oh, maybe.  I'll get back to you."
*two weeks later*
ME: "Okay, you still haven't gotten back to me on finalizing these travel dates, and flights are now starting to get really jacked up in price due to the impending holiday.  Am I going these days?  Will things be ready?"
LA: "Whatever works for you."
ME: "This isn't just about things working for me.  Is what I'm going down there to work on, which you still haven't explained, going to be ready if I go a week early?"
LA: "Oh, there's always work to be done."
ME: "There's only one seat left on the last available flight.  I'm going to take it.  Is this really okay?"
LA: "Oh, sure, it'll be fine."
*I get down here*
MEXICAN ENGINEER: "Yeah, nothing's going to be available for you to work on until next week."
ME: "FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU"

Offline Agni

• Bishop
  • Prōcrāstinātorum Prōcrāstinātricumque Rex
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 06:24:04 pm »
I wish to become a linguistics professor, but I have zero clue on how I'm exactly going to go about getting into a college for it or what Linguistics field I'm gonna study in, there's like 50 of them...

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 07:04:08 pm »
Some day, (sooner is better) I want to be able to make a living on my art. Doesn't seem likely though.

Offline Jebediah

• Official FSTDT Welcome Committee Head
  • The Beast
  • Winner.
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 07:08:37 pm »
I am going to be a nurse!
Everybody's doin' the fish.

Offline wrongfrog

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 07:14:12 pm »
I don't think you're being paranoid since teachers endure a lot of scrutiny and can be fired for very trivial reasons. That said, I still think you have a great idea and I hope you're able to go through with it, especially as the nation evolves to be more accepting.

When I was younger, I wanted to be a teacher. I loved the thought of bestowing knowledge, and being able to teach a class that can give children a thirst for knowledge. However, I decided against that as I grew older for two reasons: 1. I don't have the charisma for it, and 2. I dislike children too much.

I've always loved writing and thought about having a career involving it, but as I researched job opportunities for English and communications majors, I gradually lost hope. I wanted to be an author, but such a thing wouldn't provide me with enough stability, in my eyes, so I decided to keep it as a hobby. I haven't written much lately due to lack of time, energy, and motivation, though I still have a million story ideas swirling in my head that I ought to write down.

At long last, I decided to go into computer science, which is my current major in college. It combines my love of editing, creativity, and problem-solving, and I think it'll be a career I'm able to enjoy. I also love the geeky side of it, being able to discuss various technologies with classmates and eventually co-workers, and I'm hoping to get a good internship this summer that'll give me experience and beef up my resume.
Ah, yeah, that's why I would like to teach in a state with unions for teachers. I don't like unions because they cause more problems than they solve, but if it would protect my job from being fired over bullshit, I might as well take advantage of them, because, hey, they're probably not going to go anywhere.

My only issue is that I want to start a blog when I turn 18 (I'm more worried about educating myself right now), but I'm afraid that it would hurt my chances of being hired when I get my license. I could always use a pen name, I guess.

But as for your writing aspirations, you could always just do writing on the side when you get into your computer science career. It would make a great hobby.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 08:48:15 pm »
ruler of the world.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 08:48:39 pm »
So, I'll start off with saying I plan on becoming a History teacher at the high school level. It's a subject I have great interest in, and teaching does seem like a job I would very much enjoy.

Both of my parents were teachers, and my father-in-law just retired from being a high school history teacher. Teaching is a great profession if you can actually teach. (Not saying you personally can't. I don't know you, so have no basis to say. Only saying I've had teachers who couldn't.)

My main gripe is that being an activist would jeopardize my teaching job. I don't plan on promoting any kind of viewpoint in the classroom, but I dunno, I have never heard of a high school teacher who also participates in social activism. I can't really tell if this fear is justified or I'm being too paranoid.

Depends on the area where you live. If you are in (say) Alabama, I would recommend not becoming an activitst until you retire. If you live in DC, it would be a lot safer.

I want to be a lawyer, though my parents want me to be a doctor.

Nothing says those are mutually exclusive. One of my favorite professors in law school was a nurse before going to law school. She spent 20 years doing plaintiff-side medical malpractice.

As I've said several times, I am an unemployed lawyer. I just passed the state bar and was sworn in, but do not have a job yet. I've sent my resume to every prosecutor and public defender in the Northern VA area, but none of them have openings. I've also dropped a few applications with the federal government for entry-level attorney jobs. The temp agency I signed on with back in August recently told me they have a client looking for legal professionals and I threw my name in the hat, but I fear I'll be rejected for being over qualified. (They are looking for either a JD or a senior paralegal for an 18-month job. I have a JD, but I also have a bar membership. The client may take one look at my resume and decide that if a better opportunity comes along, I will take it and leave them.) I'm hoping they take me on, though, as it would give me some breathing room to look for a better opportunity.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 09:27:58 pm »
Right now my major is criminal justice. I'd like to transfer to study graphic design but I'm not really sure if that's the best decision.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 11:16:30 pm »
I'm a welder and make steel-lined water and sewer pipe that can range in size from  2'-8' in diameter.

Basically I play with fire and beat things with a hammer for a living.