Author Topic: Apple wins patent for backing up differentiated data  (Read 3199 times)

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
Apple wins patent for backing up differentiated data
« on: November 13, 2012, 09:53:15 pm »
Apple on Tuesday was granted a patent outlining the basic idea and functionality of Time Machine, the backup storage feature that has been included in the company's Mac operating system since it was introduced with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard in 2007.

The patent in focus is No. 8,311,988:

Consistent back up of electronic information

Systems and methods are provided for performing backup operations while a user is using a device. In one implementation, a method is provided. A backup operation of data including a plurality of related items is initiated. Modifications to one or more items of the plurality of related items are monitored for during the backup operation. The backup operation is completed. If a modification occurred to one or more items, a second backup operation is performed for the modified items.

They literally patented backing up differentiated data. Even if we take the initial filing date of 2006 fucking System Restore on Windows ME of all things did this before Time Machine. I. SHIT. YOU. NOT.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 11:39:15 pm by The Illusive Man »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Saturn500

Re: Apple wins patent for backing up differentiated data
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 10:19:21 pm »
First link is broken.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/11/13/apple-wins-patent-for-basic-time-machine-functionality

Fixed

Also, are you fucking kidding me? They patented backing up data?!

I...I...!BUB#%G@VU#BI$GWEH&EVI$HS*D(BVODEHS$*D%(BHS$GUF%EFS$&*FESW&FW&*FWGHYRHJFNB

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 10:23:44 pm by Saturn500 »

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 10:43:05 pm »
This would never have gone through were it not for the passive voice.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 08:10:06 am »
This would never have gone through were it not for the passive voice.

All patents are written like that (I proof-read them for a living).

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 11:49:31 am »
Yeah, Apple owns the patent to rounded corners on rectangular objects, if said objects are the smart phone manufactured by a competitor. Sorry, Samsung! Choosing a logical, generic shape for your phone was piracy!

People love Apple, Steve Jobs was Jesus, and all those starving rioting factory workers that make Apple products in China are just ingrates.

Can you tell I hate fuckin' Apple?
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 01:04:34 pm »
No worries, I'm right with you. I don't know why everyone loves Steve Jobs. He made a shiny trinket to play your musaks on and popularized the smart phone (Which my dad had one before it was popularized.) These are not reasons for beatific status.

I'm still not sure why I bought a windows base smart phone though. Works fine, in fact seems to have less issues than my brothers iphone and works better with the GUI I like, but the lack of app support makes it a poor choice in the end.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 04:01:54 pm »
Apple can suck my cock.

Super fragile smart phones that are extremely picky about whatever you can install on them.

An app store that seems to decide what goes into its store the same way parental controls decide what their precious little children (read: 17 year olds) can look at without violating their "innocence"

Overpriced hardware that you can't even modify safely.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

• The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 04:07:36 pm »
Apple can suck my cock.

Super fragile smart phones that are extremely picky about whatever you can install on them.

An app store that seems to decide what goes into its store the same way parental controls decide what their precious little children (read: 17 year olds) can look at without violating their "innocence"

Overpriced hardware that you can't even modify safely.

Can say that my smart phone is not super fragile. Got lots of free apps on my smart phone, just not a lot of the big important ones.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 02:49:30 am »
Maybe they plan on patenting so much generic common sense designs and operations that they'll eventually force all other manufacturers out of businesses because it'll get to the point where they can't do anything without infringing on Apple's patents.  Then everyone who wants a computer or smartphone will have no choice but to buy Apple's overpriced pieces of shit.

Also, does this mean that non-Apple Windows using computers will no longer be able to sell computers with system restore?

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 10:36:00 pm »
Maybe they plan on patenting so much generic common sense designs and operations that they'll eventually force all other manufacturers out of businesses because it'll get to the point where they can't do anything without infringing on Apple's patents.  Then everyone who wants a computer or smartphone will have no choice but to buy Apple's overpriced pieces of shit.

Also, does this mean that non-Apple Windows using computers will no longer be able to sell computers with system restore?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/connieguglielmo/2012/08/21/the-apple-vs-samsung-patent-dispute-20-talking-points/ 

(most illuminating item to read in that linked article is talking point 6. in re Apple Vs Samsung)
In effect, they already do that. Patent cases have made them billions of dollars. Samsung was smacked for 1 billion by Apple last summer. Patent trolling is what you are describing, and with as much lawyer guns as Apple has, they can be the robber barons of the mobile comms market.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 01:00:33 pm »

http://www.forbes.com/sites/connieguglielmo/2012/08/21/the-apple-vs-samsung-patent-dispute-20-talking-points/ 

(most illuminating item to read in that linked article is talking point 6. in re Apple Vs Samsung)
In effect, they already do that. Patent cases have made them billions of dollars. Samsung was smacked for 1 billion by Apple last summer. Patent trolling is what you are describing, and with as much lawyer guns as Apple has, they can be the robber barons of the mobile comms market.

As the joke goes, "its almost as if they have a monopoly on patients!"
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

• The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 02:31:20 pm »

As the joke goes, "its almost as if they have a monopoly on patients!"

They are the Thomas Edisons of this century! (Because he was a patent monger back in the day)