Author Topic: Popular YouTube Atheists  (Read 4459 times)

Offline DogmasDemise

• Bishop
Popular YouTube Atheists
« on: December 13, 2012, 05:35:52 pm »
So I was wondering what you guys think of each of these four YouTube channels made by atheist activists.

- TheAmazingAtheist
- ZOMGitsCriss
- Thunderf00t
- PatCondell

I chose them in particular because they're the ones with the most subscribers (80k or more). All of them are critical of religion in general, particularly Christianity (with the exception of Pat Condell who focuses more on Islam).

Do you find that they are "voices of reason" or at least doing a good job trying promote secularism and highlighting some of the negative aspects of religion? Or perhaps the contrary, maybe you find them biased, rude or even bigoted, and unlikely to change people's mind? Or maybe, you see them more as entertainment for people who were already atheists or agnostics when they found the channels, rather than effective activism and ultimately everyone needs to do their homework and decide if their worldview is plausible? Or maybe you just hate them or don't care what they have to say. (I've seen mixed reactions among other atheists about them from both extremely positive or extremely negative.)

I would say they're alright, I'm not under some illusion that they're these exceptional, never-seen-before beacons of rationality and hope that some people think they are, (although Thunderf00t is a scientist IRL and pwns the crap out of creationism and pseudo-science) but overall I'm glad they're there, speaking out and encouraging other atheists to speak out. I doubt they "deconvert" many people, (and honestly who suddenly changes his entire worldview by watching a few YT videos?) but they (along with this whole "new atheism movement" by people like Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens or Sam Harris) I think has certainly tilted the balance a bit and made it more socially acceptable to be openly atheist than a decade or two ago. And yeah, they're pretty entertaining too.

Saturn500

Re: Popular YouTube Atheists
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 05:49:39 pm »
I've heard that TheAmazingAtheist is considered a jackass.

Offline lazerfrog

• Neonate
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 07:12:01 pm »
The AA has caught flak for generally being obnoxious and for wishing for a rape victim to relive their experience because said victim was a feminist.  He also acted pretty entitled during his time at That Guy with the Glasses, and later complained that they didn't start promoting his stuff immediately as soon as he started doing videos for them. 

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 07:34:07 pm »
Pat Condell is a conspiracy nutter. Amazing Atheist is an ass and an e-begger. I've never watched the other two so I can't really comment on them.

Though if you're after a halfway decent Youtube atheist, I'd highly recommend CultOfDusty.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 08:10:41 pm by Art Vandelay »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 07:45:20 pm »
TheAmazingAtheist is the only one I've really had experience with, and it would be more accurate to describe him as "TheAntagonizingAtheist"

Seriously, he's got at least twelve sticks shoved up his arse.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Distind

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 08:15:12 pm »
AA's a dick, no question.

Thunderfoot has had his moments, on both ends. I've never really come across the other two.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 08:31:26 pm »
I've seen some of ZOMGitsCriss' videos and she's pretty good. Manages to be both funny and insightful. Plus, helps remind people that not all atheists are American and British men.

I've liked those Thunderf00t videos I've seen, but there was that weird debacle when he joined FreeThoughtBlogs, and then everyone was an asshole to everyone else, and then he left. I've yet to disagree with him on any subject other than that, though.
Σא

Offline Whore of Spamylon

• Bishop
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 09:01:07 pm »
The AA has caught flak for generally being obnoxious and for wishing for a rape victim to relive their experience because said victim was a feminist.

Or maybe the supposed victim's username ICumWhenIKillMen might of set him off.

While I deplore how he handled the situation, I come from the line of thought that dictates that sexual assault is no excuse for misandry, just as being mugged by a racial minority isn't an excuse for racism.

This isn't necessarily directed at you, since you may not have been given the whole story, but I am tired of people asserting that AA was simply out to prey on an innocent victim. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 09:09:09 pm by Whore of Spamylon »

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” - William Gibson

Offline Moltar

• Bishop
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 09:33:32 pm »
What about Aronra?

Offline lazerfrog

• Neonate
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 12:06:47 am »
The AA has caught flak for generally being obnoxious and for wishing for a rape victim to relive their experience because said victim was a feminist.

Or maybe the supposed victim's username ICumWhenIKillMen might of set him off.

While I deplore how he handled the situation, I come from the line of thought that dictates that sexual assault is no excuse for misandry, just as being mugged by a racial minority isn't an excuse for racism.

This isn't necessarily directed at you, since you may not have been given the whole story, but I am tired of people asserting that AA was simply out to prey on an innocent victim.

Ah, sorry.  I've seen the Amazing Atheist's exact quote, but I never saw a screenshot that included what he was actually replying to.  In my defense, after being exposed to his dislike of feminists and general reactionary nature, my first conclusion wasn't exactly one I needed moon boots to jump to. 

And like you said, even the apparent stupidity it takes to call yourself "ICumWhenIKillMen" doesn't justify making fun of her for something horrific that she actually went through.  Any reasonable adult person could have drawn the conclusion that she was probably still dealing with the emotional fallout of the event, and while that's her own responsibility to deal with, it's reasonable to expect more maturity out of a grown man than to come back with an equally emotional and offensive response.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 12:48:04 am »
TAA used to be good a long time ago, but then he kind of lost it and is now just in it for the drama and tries to be as shocking as possible just to get a reaction out of anyone he can.

Never watched any ZOMGitsCriss videos, so I can't comment on that one.

Thunderf00t is more level headed from what I've seen, actually makes good points, and has had videos of him rescuing baby squirrels. :)

PatCondell is, as previously mentioned, a conspiracy theorist nutjob.  On top of that he has the biggest hate boner for Muslims you have ever seen.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 01:06:46 am »
I have to join the "AA is an ass" group. If anything, he has probably hurt people's views of atheism more than anything else.

I have honestly never heard of the others. But then again, I don't search out videos of that nature at all often.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 02:03:49 am »

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 06:16:43 am »
TheAmazingAtheist is a nutty MRA. thunderf00t is alright but he did leak private e-mails when he was at Freethoughtblogs. I haven't seen much of zomgitscriss. Pat Condell seems to hold a little bit of a grudge against Muslims as an entire group.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 01:53:26 pm »
I don't tend to seek out anyone who considers themselves an atheist and are vocal about it because a good number are dickchoppers.

I have met a number of atheists online that were still heavily against homosexuality because they thought it was gross. The "If we destroy religion, it will fix all the world's problems" types of atheists.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying