Author Topic: Living Will - authorized euthansia Vs hospice care  (Read 3800 times)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Living Will - authorized euthansia Vs hospice care
« on: January 13, 2013, 02:47:06 pm »
I'm bringing this up for discussion because I like the thoughtful responses to difficult issues by members on this forum.

My very elderly aunt passed away Friday after 8 days in a sepsis-induced coma. Hopefully, her coma remained deep enough that she did not suffer much pain or distress. Had she not predirected the support withdrawal, she probably would have continued to suffer when occasionally conscious from extreme pain, as the sepsis occurred due to spastic colitis (a truly godawful painful condition, caused by stress), creating an inflammation injury that allowed her own intestinal flora to infect her bloodstream. My last visit with her in the intensive care unit was heart wrenching, as she moaned and cried and called out for her mom, even though a dose of morphine was in the IV. She did not open her eyes again after that evening. Next day, she was transported to hospice, and all support was withdrawn, except mild pain meds.

Although I almost know for sure that she was not suffering consciously, and they think she probably had rapidly deteriorating brain function, and therefore no "real" pain, it was still a devastating thing for the family to witness. In particular, her grand daughter, who had medical power of attorney, and was the "go to" family member with the hospice team, now has a long road back to emotional balance ahead of her. And she is an RN. But that did not really shield her from the brunt of how awful it was to watch a gentle sweet old woman die so slowly, and one cannot emotionally block out the terrible thought of her possibly suffering distress from thirst and hunger sensations, on some level, no matter what medical facts one has in hand.

Ever since Dr. Jack Kevorkian was in the news decades ago, I have been strongly in favor of the medical right to die being extended to include pre-directed euthanasia. Quite a few countries now have this legal mechanism in place. But, of course, here in the US, we only condone this simple kindness of euthanasia to animals, not people. What is worse, some fundie types would like to take away even the pre-directed withdrawal of support option of the living will; "Just cuz. Holey Babble...Wut?!"

Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
Re: Living Will - authorized euthansia Vs hospice care
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 06:12:28 pm »
I just love the whole disconnect between it's wrong to put a needle in someones arm to end their suffering, but it is just fine and dandy to pull a feeding tube and let them starve to death.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 08:43:39 pm »
Well we are fine with ending other people's lives even if they don't consent  ::)  Honestly in this case I support euthanisia also what is odd a doctor I think in my area wrote that he performed euthanasia all the time.  He would give the patients pills and say "DONT take more then 3 pills or you will die" then they would overdose.   Not the best solution but sadly he knew these people had about two weeks to a month at the most.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 09:26:17 pm »
I'm all for authorized euthanasia, after seeing my father waste away from cancer about 9 years ago. I'd like to go out with the Euthanasia Coaster. I mean, how is that not full of awesome??

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 09:40:46 pm »
I'm all for euthanasia. If someone genuinely wants to die, I don't see how anyone has the right to tell them otherwise.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 10:15:32 pm »
The Euthanasia Coaster is how I want to go out... you can cremate my fat ass afterwards, and I'll take up a lot less space.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 01:13:25 am »
If one faces the prospect of living a short life with unending agony, I think euthanasia should be a viable option.  If you've got no quality of life facing you, going out peacefully, quietly, and painlessly...that's how I'd want to go.  Just make it quick and clean, all I'd ask.  Once I'm down for good, give me a Viking funeral and let my mourners enjoy a massive feast in my memory.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 12:22:00 pm »
I just love the whole disconnect between it's wrong to put a needle in someones arm to end their suffering, but it is just fine and dandy to pull a feeding tube and let them starve to death.

I would quote every one of you so far - all excellent comments. Mojo's gets to the crux of the issue the best, I think.

For example, if a person sees that their very old pet dog is very ill, and just decides to let them go without food and water til it dies, that person could be brought up on charges of animal cruelty.

Since the fundie argument against preauthorized euthanasia is based solely on religion, I say that continuing to deny access to euthanasia is a clear violation of the separation of church and state. We already have medical and legal safeguards and prerequisites in place to make the withdrawal of support "murder-proof", so what the fuck are we waiting for?

I really hope that this will be resolved before it is my own time to go, and in the meanwhile, it makes me sick at heart to know that what happened with my aunt is happening to patients and their families all the time, all over the country. Like the right to marry, to free speech, to privacy, etc., the right to die as painlessly as possible should be undeniable.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 01:48:16 pm »
I'm all for human euthanasia as long as it doesn't go from 'right to die' to 'duty to die'.

Offline MrsYoungie

• Neonate
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 02:05:56 pm »
In an ideal world - at the age of 21 everyone would be able to ask their doctor for a coded pill that is unique to their DNA.  It would go by the name of "Me-B-Gone".   Doctors would be able to give them out or decline the request based on the person's mental health.
Imagine the freedom to know that you had this pill and could decide when your time is up.  No more lying in a hospice, in pain, with no control over your condition.  Most people might not even use it, but just the knowledge that it is there would be comforting.  A patient might think "Well, I feel pretty crappy today, so I could take the pill, but I might have a better day tomorrow, so I'll wait."
Perfect.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 02:38:38 pm »
I dunno about that.  I support the right to die, but I think it's something that should have some oversight and red tape.  There have been plenty of people who considered suicide, committed, were stopped at the last minute, and ended up regretting the decision.  Suicide should not be a snap decision.  If, after thinking it over a few days, they still want to kill themselves?  By all means.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 04:20:03 pm »
Yeah, what Jack Mann said. Knowing that such a pill is available would probably lead to more people who are temporarily under extreme stress committing suicide. People who just lost a loved one are a good example.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 04:31:17 pm »
I don't think people should euthanise themselves willy-nilly at all.   For me, it'd have to be the same as (like the above mentioned animal euthanasia) where there is nothing that can be done, and it's all downhill from there.  Animals can have that dignity.  Why not the human animal?

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 01:36:56 am »
I'm with Spaceprog on this one, and with most everyone else.

Right to die should not become "duty to die," and there really should be a check on it. It's not a decision to be made lightly. The "Me-B-Gone" pill might be better suited for those who are terminally ill or have no quality of life. If I had to go? I'd like it to be quick and painless, and to have my ashes sent out into space.

For we are made of star stuff, and from the stars we come from, and to the stars, I would like to return...

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 10:09:29 am »
Recently in Belgium two twins were euthanized since they both wanted to die after finding out they will go blind.