Author Topic: Would the Sears Tower have survived 9/11?  (Read 2028 times)

Offline rtvc2012

• Pope
Would the Sears Tower have survived 9/11?
« on: March 10, 2013, 05:50:16 pm »
My guess is yes, because it narrows as it goes up, and by extension is not as "top heavy" as the WTC.  Also, most of the structural integrity is in the core of the building, as opposed to the twin towers, where most of the building's support was in the steel exoskeleton.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: Would the Sears Tower have survived 9/11?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 06:02:56 pm »
Survive as in remaining more or less standing from the bottom upwards, maybe.   Depending on where the impact/explosion would be the thinner top area may get knocked off.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 06:05:26 pm »
As I don't have a degree in structural engineering, I'm going to say I have no idea.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Distind

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 08:17:20 pm »
Given that engineering standards have become more precise since then, it's possible, but odds are it would have needed to come down afterward due to fire damage if not the impact.

Precise standards mean that what we build will stand up to what we intend it to stand up to(hence the pentagon taking the same kind of plane and leaving a 10 foot hole rather than  awing gone), we didn't build the towers to take a plane broadside.