Author Topic: Teacher says the word vagina in biology class.  (Read 12159 times)

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
Re: Teacher says the word vagina in biology class.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 12:34:02 pm »
...OH MY GOD, NO, CHILDREN OF FIFTEEN/SIXTEEN ARE TOO YOUNG TO KNOW THE ACTUAL NAMES FOR BODY PARTS! IT'S SO MUCH SAFER AND NORMAL AND TOTALLY LESS CREEPY FOR THEM TO KEEP CALLING THEM THEIR 'NO-NO-PARTS' THAN IT IS FOR A TEACHER TO SAY THE WORD 'VAGINA' OR 'PENIS' OR 'TESTICLES' IN A BIOLOGY CLASS.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 12:38:00 pm »
BURN THE WITCH!

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 12:40:54 pm »
Ah.

But The Raw Story reports that some students who are rallying around McDaniel believe those who complained about the teacher's methods may be motivated by religion.

Per the most recent statistics, nearly 66% of all Lincoln County adherents are affiliated with the Mormon Church, which specifically requires parents to "ensure that the [sex education] instructions given to their children are consistent with sound moral and ethical values."

"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 12:45:44 pm »
That reminds me of this paper:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2655816/

Abstract:

This paper presents results of a consumer health vocabulary study of text appearing on Web-based bulletin boards. Consumers used obscenities and euphemisms to refer to certain body parts, functions, and behaviors. The female genitalia are the body region most often described with an obscenity (29% of all instances); male genitalia, in contrast, were rendered as obscene only 3% of the time. Consumers responding on the bulletin boards appear genuinely to prefer euphemistic slang and baby talk (62%) over obscenities (24%) when referring to the buttocks. From an anatomical perspective, this large dataset reveals a consumer health vocabulary of euphemisms and outright obscenities coexisting with professional medical terminology. The evident preference for euphemisms and slang for some anatomical parts has important implications for the design of health information controlled vocabularies and translation systems, faced with a lay language more informal than expected.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 01:09:57 pm »
Oh shit, the teacher said vajayjay! *hides*

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 01:51:31 pm »
Isn't vagina a medical term? I mean since when has it been a swear word? Or even a "naughty" word?

If those kids aren't allowed to even hear about human anatomy and such things then they should not have been to those classes, which would have been easy since the teacher specifically asked if anyone would feel uncomfortable while discussing the topic and gave them a chance to skip those classes.

So either we are dealing with complete idiots or these kids were used as a tool to create a controversy and get rid of this teacher.

...Or both.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline gomer21xx

• Pope
  • Squick responsibly!
    • RT Gomer Productions
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 02:09:27 pm »
I'm looking for patrons!  How can you help?  Check out my Patreon page! =)

As always, you can catch my podcasts and videos at RT Gomer Productions!

Quote from: TheL
I've seen so many tits, they've blended into one enormous mega boob!

Quote from: The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist
Dude, when Vox Day was born, he shot out the hospital window and over an entire tank of sharks.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 02:10:36 pm »
Things have gotten steadily worse since I was a 10 year old, not a 10th grader, and learned the terms; vagina, penis, uterus, etc. in my elementary school health education class. This school was in a politically conservative, wealthy town. It was 1970. And they had taught this class since the 1950's. And nobody's parents freaked out about it. Because all the fanatic parents put their kids in religious/parochial school.....where they STILL had better sex education taught by nuns than is allowed in all these fuckwit-ruled red states nowadays.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 02:17:33 pm »
They taught it in my school-going years pretty early too.  I believe it was 5th grade or so.  In fact the teachers and speakers they had for sex ed and biology type classes preferred to use the actual terms for the genitalia. 

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 02:27:41 pm »
My first sex ed class was in 4th grade, and medical terms were used.

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 03:13:24 pm »
Mine was in fifth grade, and medical terminology was used there as well. I did not die or become a hooker and I don't have PTSD because of it. So nyaah.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 03:17:58 pm »

There's no pleasing these idiots.  Getting upset at PROPER MEDICAL TERMS if fucking stupid.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

shykid

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 03:39:29 pm »
Someone called a body part by its medical name. Quick, call the police!

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 03:50:29 pm »
Talk about a bunch of five-year-olds. I hope they realize that, unless they plan on forcing their children to live with them for the rest of their lives, they're going to be exposed to horrifying words like "vagina." And with such sheltering, at least some of them are going to freak the hell out once they're living on their own, without mommy and daddy to shield everything.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades