Author Topic: H.R. 748, a step to slavery  (Read 8892 times)

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
H.R. 748, a step to slavery
« on: March 31, 2013, 10:52:31 pm »
http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/748

Universal National Service Act - Declares that it is the obligation of every U.S. citizen, and every other person residing in the United States, between the ages of 18 and 25 to perform a 2-year period of national service, unless exempted, either through military service or through civilian service in a federal, state, or local government program or with a community-based agency or entity engaged in meeting human, educational, environmental, or public safety needs. Requires induction into national service by the President. Allows persons to be inducted only: (1) under a declaration of war or national emergency, or (2) when members of the Armed Forces are engaged in a contingency operation. Requires each person, before induction, to be examined physically and mentally for classification for fitness to perform. Sets forth provisions governing: (1) induction deferments, postponements, and exemptions, including exemption of a conscientious objector from combatant training and military service; and (2) discharge following national service.

Amends the Military Selective Service Act to authorize the military registration of females.

I hate everything here. So if Congress decides to declare a war, like they just did, they can force citizens to work for them? Even if the citizens didn't want a war?

Also, women shouldn't have to sign up for selective services because men do. They should change it so nobody has to register to selective services.

I hope this dies, and it probably will, but it pisses me off that it was created in the first place.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 10:41:31 am by Distind »
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
Re: H.R. 784, a step to slavery
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 11:00:23 pm »
I actually signed up for a shitton of pacifist newsletters just so I can claim "conscientious objector" status if this thing goes through.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 11:14:51 pm »
I actually signed up for a shitton of pacifist newsletters just so I can claim "conscientious objector" status if this thing goes through.
I signed up for nothing and I'll claim laziness. I mean, when I feel like it.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 11:15:35 pm »
I am too disabled.  Shame America gets boners from brown people murder since a lot of countries actually do this

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 11:18:47 pm »
1. What the citizens want is ostensibly reflected by Congress--that's what being in a representative democracy means.

2. If some people have to register for the Selective Service, why shouldn't everyone have to? Better nobody, I agree, but better everybody than just some people.

3. Up here, at least, conscientious objectors were stripped of many civil rights during wars. They might still make you serve as a field medic, though. (And hey, there've been three pacifist Medal of Honor recipients, all medics: Desmond Doss, Thomas Bennett and Joseph LaPointe.)
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 11:22:09 pm »
A couple things
1. I'm a coward and don't want to get sent to a war zone
2. Many people believe aiding the U.S. at all in a war zone is contributing positively to war.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 11:26:59 pm »
I'm too old.

*Dances*

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 11:29:43 pm »
I'm too old.

*Dances*

me too

*Dances with SpaceProg*

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 11:30:28 pm »
While I do plan on signing up for the Navy (Mostly for college reasons) I still hate this kind of crap.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 11:35:41 pm »
1. What the citizens want is ostensibly reflected by Congress--that's what being in a representative democracy means.

Representatives are elected through winner take all methods. 49% of the population could be against zer. Heck, even more than 49% if there was a 3rd party spoiler like in my district. Plus some of them could lie and vote for war, or both major candidates could be in favor of war leaving the citizens no real choice.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 11:37:03 pm »
Wait, are they adding something new? Or is this just amending the Selective Service act so women can be drafted?

I support the concept of a wartime draft. We needed it in World War II.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 11:50:51 pm »
No they are also I think going beyond draft and straight into during war YOU MUST

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 11:52:21 pm »
I'm too old.

*Dances*
Careful, you can break a hip that way.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 11:56:56 pm »
I'm too old.

*Dances*
Me too. It was a happy day when I became too old for the draft, because the Iraq war was in full swing at the time.

*Riverdance*

Careful, you can break a hip that way.
I actually have a bad hip, lol.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 12:02:30 am »

Representatives are elected through winner take all methods. 49% of the population could be against zer. Heck, even more than 49% if there was a 3rd party spoiler like in my district. Plus some of them could lie and vote for war, or both major candidates could be in favor of war leaving the citizens no real choice.

Sure--that's why I said ostensibly. It gets worse in a multi-party system with FPTP. (I hate people who claim that a majority of Canadians wanted the Conservatives in power.)
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.