Author Topic: Christianity As State Religion Supported By One-Third Of Americans, Poll Finds  (Read 4252 times)

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
Although the North Carolina House of Representatives killed a bill Thursday that would have paved the way for establishing an official state religion, a new national HuffPost/YouGov poll finds widespread support for doing so.

The new survey finds that 34 percent of adults would favor establishing Christianity as the official state religion in their own state, while 47 percent would oppose doing so. Thirty-two percent said that they would favor a constitutional amendment making Christianity the official religion of the United States, with 52 percent saying they were opposed.

article here

Sweet Jesus WTF is wrong with these people??

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
These are people who are so scared of Islam they honestly think that making Christianity a state religion will stop it.  Unfortunately, most of these special people think their particular brand of crazy will be enshrined in law but it won't be.

Ironbite-and they'll bitch and moan when it isn't.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
These are people who are so scared of Islam they honestly think that making Christianity a state religion will stop it.  Unfortunately, most of these special people think their particular brand of crazy will be enshrined in law but it won't be.

The dumbest thing is that places like England, which fundies claim is undergoing Islamization, actually has a branch of Christianity (the Church of England) as the state religion.

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
The only thing that surprises me is that the percentage of those in favor isn't higher.  A lot of Christians I know already think it is in the constitution that Christianity is the official religion of the US.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
At least the opposition is higher than the people who are for this.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard

The dumbest thing is that places like England, which fundies claim is undergoing Islamization, actually has a branch of Christianity (the Church of England) as the state religion.

Ah, but as any God-fearing Christian knows, Anglicans aren't real Christians ::)
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Joey

• Bishop
These people want to dictate to others how to live their lives, rather than allowing others to live their lives as they see fit. That's the real underlying problem here and it exists in every religion, as well as (unfortunately) among the non-religious. Nietzsche's "will to power" is true for unenlightened, unevolved individuals. If we are to progress as a forward-thinking society we must evolve beyond the will to power.
"A human is a system for converting dust billions of years ago into dust billions of years from now via a roundabout process which involves checking email a lot." - XKCD

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
I don't think this is too bad. Thinking that the state religion should be Christianity isn't the same as thinking it should be a Christian theocracy.

Offline Joey

• Bishop
I don't think this is too bad. Thinking that the state religion should be Christianity isn't the same as thinking it should be a Christian theocracy.

Sadly, there are a large number of people who think that too.
"A human is a system for converting dust billions of years ago into dust billions of years from now via a roundabout process which involves checking email a lot." - XKCD

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
Oh come on.  How accurate are these number, really?  I mean, 1000 people is hardly a measure of the public pulse.

There's a reason they say the three kinds of lies are lies, damned lies, and statistics.  I guess I could look at and humor the methods.

The HuffPost/YouGov poll was conducted April 3-4 among 1,000 U.S. adults. The poll used a sample selected from YouGov's opt-in online panel to match the demographics and other characteristics of the adult U.S. population. Factors considered include age, race, gender, education, employment, income, marital status, number of children, voter registration, time and location of Internet access, interest in politics, religion and church attendance.

I wonder what the demographic breakdown is and how it relates to the public at large.  Even allowing for that...

1)  33% is a minority
2)  Statistics are a shitty way of looking at things.
3)  It's a moot point.  They're not getting their way.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 08:26:23 pm by B-Man »
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!

And they're all too ignorant of history to realize it wasn't (mainly) atheists who insisted on a secular government, got mandatory prayer and religious study removed from public school, etc. It was Christians who didn't want someone else's version of Christianity forced on them.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
So one third of Americans are idiots? That actually sounds about right, statistically speaking.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
I'm super not surprised
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS

The sad thing is that a theocracy is what they probably want, after all it's fundies who are the ones always pushing for this type of shit.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative

The sad thing is that a theocracy is what they probably want, after all it's fundies who are the ones always pushing for this type of shit.

And if they get it a la The Handmaid's Tale then they will find out that it's not fun.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman