Author Topic: Mosque's Response To EDL Protestors: "Care for some tea and biscuits?"  (Read 4143 times)

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-22689552

A mosque has been praised for serving tea and biscuits to English Defence League supporters after the far-right group arranged a demonstration there.

About six people turned up to protest at the mosque in Bull Lane, York, on Sunday and were invited inside to play football with worshippers.

More than 100 supporters of the mosque had gone there after learning of the planned EDL protest.

Archbishop of York Dr John Sentamu said the mosque's response was "fantastic".

He said: "Tea, biscuits, and football are a great and typically Yorkshire combination when it comes to disarming hostile and extremist views."

Father Tim Jones, who went to the Bull Lane mosque, which is situated in his parish, said: "I've always known they were intelligent and compassionate people and I think this has demonstrated the extent to which they are people of courage - certainly physical courage and also a high degree of moral courage.

"I think the world can learn from what happened outside that ramshackle little mosque on Sunday."

Hull Road ward councillor Neil Barnes said it had been a "proud moment for York".

He said: "I don't think I'll ever forget the day that the York Mosque tackled anger and hatred with peace and warmth - and I won't forget the sight of a Muslim offering a protester tea and biscuits with absolute sincerity."

Fears over a demonstration grew after Yorkshire EDL Scarborough Division posted a message on its Facebook page calling for supporters to gather outside the mosque.

Imam Abid Salik said: "We did have a few people who did come to protest but when they came some of the members of the mosque went over and they engaged in a conversation.

"Some people went over with cups of tea and biscuits, they were talking for about 30 or 40 min

That is absolutely brilliant.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Art Vandelay

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
  • The Scottish Storyteller
This is the most British thing I've read all week.
Oh, you take the high road, and I'll take the low road...

My mother did not CHOOSE life. She planned for it.

Is that weird monkey-creature-looking-thing supposed to be a BLACK MAN?

It's Bi-Curious George, well known supporter of the gay agenda.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
Yeah, more like terrorist tea, amirite? :P

But yeah, while it doesn't take much to look better than the fascist EDL this was still a very good move, especially in light of that Woolwich decapitation.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
The culture of hospitality, in offering assistance, shelter, refreshment, and entertainment to strangers goes back

thousands of years longer in the Middle Eastern traditions than it does even in polite and courteous Britain.

EDL does not represent the UK ethic, the mosque members know that, and I think they also know they gave the

majority of their fellow countrymen in Britain something to grin about.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
They loved and tolerated the shit outta those trolls.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
They loved and tolerated the shit outta those trolls.

Sometimes, it's best to "Kill them with kindness".

Likewise, "Success is the best revenge".

Besides, we need more love and understanding in the world. If folks practiced "random acts of kindness" and were civil & tactful to even enemies (even when going up against them), we would grow as society & perhaps turn some bad folks to the "Light Side".

I hope I don't sound cliché but these sentiments shouldn't even be cliché.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
That's pretty fucking British.

"Fuck you m8 i swear on me mums life I'll punch ya in the gob"

"Care for some Tea & Biscuits"

"Oh, 'ta very much!"

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
I'm just gonna say that... this was a triumph.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
[inner_conpiranoid]Clearly the tea had a slow-acting poison. The biscuits had the antidote. A small number of them will drop dead weeks from now and it will never be traced back to the mosque.[/inner_conspiranoid]

But seriously though, well played.
Σא

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
I saw this on facebook and thought it was brilliant

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Also invited them inside to participate in a football match.

Ironbite-which they accepted!

Art Vandelay

In fact... I'm making a note here: Huge success.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
Most of the Muslims that I have ran into are very hospitable and kind.  We have a pretty large Muslim population here and the people are very charitable and holds some activities for the community.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Some random Homo sapiens

• Neonate
In fact... I'm making a note here: Huge success.
Indeed,... it's hard to overstate my satisfaction.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.