Author Topic: Best and worst designed video game consoles/controllers  (Read 8256 times)

Offline rtvc2012

• Pope
Best and worst designed video game consoles/controllers
« on: June 11, 2013, 01:57:36 pm »
Which are your favorites and least favorites?

Best console design: original PS3 - hands down the most stylish, sophisticated, and downright beautiful console I've ever seen.  Don't know why so many people hate it.  Runner-ups are original PS2, 360 slim, and Dreamcast.

Worst: Atari Jaguar - it looks like a bedpan.  Runner-up is the VCR-esque Xbox One (although it turns out the PS4 isn't much different).

Best controller: DualShock - there's a reason Sony has barely changed it since 1998.  Runner-ups are the wonderful-feeling Gamecube controller, 360 controller, and Sega Genesis controller.

Worst: N64 controller - plain and simple, it's built for people with 3 hands.  Close runner-up is the Xbox Duke controller (fun fact: it was the result of extensive focus group testing - the test subjects must've all been pro NBA players).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 02:10:09 pm by rtvc2012 »

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
Re: Best and worst designed video game consoles/controllers
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 02:04:59 pm »
I always liked how GameCube controllers actually fit in my fucking hands. I hate N64 controllers for the same reasons you described.

Xbox 360 controllers are really wide for some reason and my joints always ache after I use them.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 05:51:42 pm »
The Wii U game pad is ridiculous, but I don't know if you can call that a controller.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 06:44:50 pm »
The best is the xbox 360 controller.  Always comfortable in my hands. Worst is the Nintendo 64, my fingers had to do acrobatics to work that bloody thing
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 07:04:57 pm »
How many Nintendo 64 games actually used the "traditional" '+' control pad? Whoever designed those controllers should have swapped the control stick's location for the control pad, because I really hated handling the center piece of the controller and the other end is almost useless and unnecessary when a lot of games didn't use that damn pad. It's easily the worst controller Nintendo designed that isn't the bulky tablet for the Wii U (which I'm yet to use, but I already dislike it).

The Gamecube, on the other hand, is my favorite, next to the Super Nintendo, which I like mostly out of nostalgia and that it's more comfortable than the original Nintendo Entertainment System's boxy pads.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 07:54:18 pm »
I actually quite enjoyed the N64's controller.

I haven't actually held enough game controllers to make a fair judgment on this, though.  I will say that I hated pressure sensitivity on the PS2's controller for any games that used it (I'm looking at you, MGS3 and ESPECIALLY you Mad Maestro), and the L3 and R3 "buttons" were awkward as hell to use, and I'd end up pressing them by accident.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 09:11:56 pm »
The 360 controller is probably the most comfortable for me, and I prefer those triggers over the L/R on the PS controller.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 09:31:50 pm »
The 360 controller is probably the most comfortable for me, and I prefer those triggers over the L/R on the PS controller.

Same for me. The triggers are FAR superior to the weird shoulder buttons on the PS3, since it's like they tried to have a button and a trigger but couldn't decide which is better. It ends up basically being a large button that has an awkward angle to push it in.

Also, the offset sticks fit my hands' natural position much better.

I think we can all agree that the N64 controller is the worst. It may be the only controller literally not designed for its target species.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 10:10:52 pm »
Gonna have to agree with the 360 having the best controller.  It fits my hands perfectly and I never have stretch my fingers to reach anything.  Holding that controller just feels natural, even more so than the PS3 controller.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline rtvc2012

• Pope
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 11:25:05 pm »
Always been a Dualshock fan, but I agree, the triggers suck.  Looks like the PS4 controller will be changing this, though.
I can't say enough how well the Gamecube controller fits in my hand.  The triggers ain't bad either, and they actually register button clicks if you press all the way in.  The 360's got the best triggers, though.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 11:27:04 pm »
360 controller for the subtle resistance in the triggers.  Gotta have that for flying and racing game control. GameCube for it's small form factor. I'm hoping the generation after this, say in eight years or so, will have such small scale chip architecture and super compact memory*, that even a powerful system will be GameCube sized.

*(maybe data storage prisms - http://www.techrepublic.com/forum/discussions/86-164912 interesting comments section discussion between pro geeks, mathematicians, and cyberneticists).
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 12:50:25 am »
N64 has the worst controller of all time? It was stupid, but nowhere near the worst. That honour would go to one of the broken down pieces of shit like the Atari 5200 or the Intellovision/Colecovision. Something where they had no idea what they were doing, and were just throwing shit at the wall and hoping something sticks. Or perhaps the Wii-mote if you want to go with something a bit more well known.

Best controller I'd say would go to the Xbox 360. It's just the right size and shape for my hands. I'm not a huge fan of the dual shock. That thing makes my thumbs ache after just a few hours of playing.

As for the worst console, I'll go with the Atari Jaguar. The architecture in that thing was a fucking mess, so much so that it was nearly impossible to program for in a way that properly utilised its capabilities. It was 64-bit, but the games were all simpler than what you'd typically find on the SNES.

Finally, my favourite console would have to be the Gamecube. The last home console from Nintendo that isn't a piece of shit. While it didn't get the 3rd party support it deserves, it was both very compact and powerful enough to hold its own against the PS2 and Xbox.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 12:58:57 am »
The last home console from Nintendo that isn't a piece of shit.

*cough BULLSHIT cough*
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 01:01:34 am »
I must have been the only person who never had a problem with the N64 controller.  I just held the middle and right part seeing how I never played a game that used the D-Pad on the left ever.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 01:03:29 am »
I must have been the only person who never had a problem with the N64 controller.  I just held the middle and right part seeing how I never played a game that used the D-Pad on the left ever.

I'm not a person now? :P