Author Topic: World Population Projections  (Read 4915 times)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: World Population Projections
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 11:09:40 pm »
I just hope the next outbreak isn't like a certain fungus in South America that plants itself in ants' (or other insects) heads and makes them climb so that it can bloom and spread its spores all over. If that ended up happening to humans, we would be in a world of trouble.
I remember that thing. I really hope it is. Think about it, they abandon the pack, mindlessly wander to their destination (which, would be different for them, because they'd look to climb buildings and not have ant-climbing powers), and would be a mindless threat with no regard for its safety. And we'd need to wipe them out. Or in other words, motherfuckin' zombies.
Call 'em "Fungies" ;D
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 05:21:43 pm »
Or clickers.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 09:15:28 pm »
Human brains are the slightest bit more complicated than ant or fish brains, though. Any complex behavioural alteration that doesn't already exist would take too long to evolve, and we'd be able to deal with it easily.

Tell that to Toxoplasmosa gondii. Nothing as dramatic as what it does to rats (it makes them run toward cat sounds and smells), but it does have an impact on human behavior (and, even better, 20-80% of all humans are already infected!)
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 09:53:19 pm »
Human brains are the slightest bit more complicated than ant or fish brains, though. Any complex behavioural alteration that doesn't already exist would take too long to evolve, and we'd be able to deal with it easily.

Tell that to Toxoplasmosa gondii. Nothing as dramatic as what it does to rats (it makes them run toward cat sounds and smells), but it does have an impact on human behavior (and, even better, 20-80% of all humans are already infected!)

I did specify complex behavioural alterations. Toxoplasmosis might cause things like higher risk of psychiatric illnesses and risk-taking behaviour, but nothing as complex as the Cordyceps fungi's effect on ants. Also, from what I can find, it isn't entirely certain whether toxo causes all this or is simply correlated with it (sharing risk factors, etc.).
Σא

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2013, 12:50:02 am »

The only reason I don't want that one to go superpowered is because I'm certainly infected. Oh! And it increases rage in human beings, you forgot that.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.