Author Topic: Members of congress live on food stamps for a week  (Read 3359 times)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Members of congress live on food stamps for a week
« on: June 14, 2013, 01:39:19 am »
http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/06/13/2147141/26-democrats-live-off-food-stamps-to-protest-republican-cuts/

Members of Congress are living off food stamps for a week to protest Republican cuts. It’s a challenge for them, but GOP cuts would hurt millions of everyday Americans.

I think this is a great idea. And hopefully it works out.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline anti-nonsense

• Nerdalicious Canadian
  • Pope
Re: Members of congress live on food stamps for a week
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 02:20:46 am »
wow, politicians actually making personal sacrifices, not something you see every day, even from Democrats.
From international relations to religious rivalries, from marriage to athlete's foot, whatever the problem a fundy's first solution is usually violence.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 05:12:52 am »
As nice as this look, I cant see this as being anything other than a publicity stunt.
The people who are doing the challenge, are the ones who would have voted against the bill to begin with. If anything they should be forcing the people who vote for the bill to live for a year on food stamps. Anyone can last a week hungry. it is not pleasant, but easily doable. For these political parasites to really learn what it means to be at the bottom of the barrel they must truly feel the hurt of living like that.

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 06:34:17 am »
As nice as this look, I cant see this as being anything other than a publicity stunt.
The people who are doing the challenge, are the ones who would have voted against the bill to begin with. If anything they should be forcing the people who vote for the bill to live for a year on food stamps. Anyone can last a week hungry. it is not pleasant, but easily doable. For these political parasites to really learn what it means to be at the bottom of the barrel they must truly feel the hurt of living like that.

I agree that this is unlikely to change peoples minds unless they themselves take on the challenge.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 10:12:08 am »
I'm trying to remember the name of the famous conservative pol, possibly Bob Dole, who did a similar stunt to "prove" that the cuts he wanted made to food stamps still left it a viable option for needy families. This was maybe 25-30 years ago. Anyone?
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 12:57:01 pm »
I think it may have been Dole.  Memory's a bit fuzzy there since I cared more about my NES and toys than politics.
EDIT:  Could have been Perot too.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 12:59:59 pm by SpaceProg »

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 01:02:11 pm »
I'm trying to remember the name of the famous conservative pol, possibly Bob Dole, who did a similar stunt to "prove" that the cuts he wanted made to food stamps still left it a viable option for needy families. This was maybe 25-30 years ago. Anyone?

if it was Bob Dole, he did a 180 because he legislated for a lot of the food stamp programs we have now that conservatives want to destroy.

Oh he wasn't perfect  on this.  But compared to tea baggers he was a bodhisattva
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 02:42:47 pm »

if it was Bob Dole, he did a 180 because he legislated for a lot of the food stamp programs we have now that conservatives want to destroy.
Oh he wasn't perfect  on this.  But compared to tea baggers he was a bodhisattva

Yes! That's what I remember, too, the politician admitted it was not tenable, and changed his position after experiencing the hardship first hand.  Just still fuzzy on which politician it was. Maybe even Newt Gingrich? Still think Dole, though. And yeah, GOP nowadays, no way any one of those fucknuggets would admit they are wrong like that.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 03:18:36 pm »
I... oddly want to try basically living on the same amount of cash for a week here and there, just to see how much money I'd save.

I'm already drawing up a list of what we buy and how long it tends to last (like a roll of TP lasts about a week.  Shampoo? three weeks.  Shaving cream? a couple months.  You can calculate when you need to buy, and how much, resulting in savings over the year.)
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 05:00:13 pm »
I... oddly want to try basically living on the same amount of cash for a week here and there, just to see how much money I'd save.

I'm already drawing up a list of what we buy and how long it tends to last (like a roll of TP lasts about a week.  Shampoo? three weeks.  Shaving cream? a couple months.  You can calculate when you need to buy, and how much, resulting in savings over the year.)

How do you make a roll of toilet paper last a week? In my house it's more like a couple days.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 05:05:45 pm »

How do you make a roll of toilet paper last a week? In my house it's more like a couple days.

Maybe they have a rationing system. We used to in my house for a while...

Offline Blood God Nipso

• Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 08:30:05 pm »
Of all the things to ration...

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 08:49:18 pm »
Buy a spray bidet wand. It's a gizmo that looks like a retractable kitchen sink sprayer, but has a long nozzle arm. You just thread it on your toilet's water supply joint with the provided "T" adaptor, and hang a holder clip on the rim of the tank, beneath the tank lid. Then, all you need tissue for is to blot the water drops off after use. Or, just sit there and drip dry...it's quiet and peaceful and your excuse to be away from the family for a few more minutes  :P

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 12:13:06 am »
I can pretty easily make a roll last a week. I don't overuse.

And my shaving cream? I'm STILL using a can that I bought too long ago to remember. I only shave once or twice a month most of the time unless I have something specific to shave for; my facial hair peaks in 3 weeks.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 02:23:46 am »
It's feasible for a guy living alone (or possible with one other male roommate) to make toilet paper last a week, but for women, it tends to go faster.

Buy a spray bidet wand. It's a gizmo that looks like a retractable kitchen sink sprayer, but has a long nozzle arm. You just thread it on your toilet's water supply joint with the provided "T" adaptor, and hang a holder clip on the rim of the tank, beneath the tank lid. Then, all you need tissue for is to blot the water drops off after use. Or, just sit there and drip dry...it's quiet and peaceful and your excuse to be away from the family for a few more minutes  :P

I wish bidets were the norm in North America. It would make cleanup so much easier.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)