Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1529762 times)

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
Worst of Social Justice
« on: June 25, 2013, 11:55:08 pm »
This will be a thread for the worst parts of social justice either on Tumblr or elsewhere on the Internet. Note this is out of Flame and Burn and forum rules will be enforced. This will allow us to do as we did before but with more civility and more reasonable discussions.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 12:00:27 am »
 This Is Thin Privilege posted a story about how someone is upset about having their group's picture taken and posted to a blog without their permission. Which is fine, but then they go and reblog a post about a woman who (presumably) stared at a fat person on the Subway complete with her picture.

Here's the link to the second post in full:
http://thisisthinprivilege.tumblr.com/post/52475680487/algietheminer-anactingangel-smilesizeist

What I want to know, is how that isn't hypocritical?

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 12:07:29 am »
I don't feel like digging up the link now, but once I saw someone on tumblr call out someone else on "cultural appropriation" because they named their dog Bindi. They then wished for said dog to die. Regardless of whether they were right or not about the cultural appropriation, the dog didn't choose its fucking name.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 12:09:08 am »
This Is Thin Privilege posted a story about how someone is upset about having their group's picture taken and posted to a blog without their permission. Which is fine, but then they go and reblog a post about a woman who (presumably) stared at a fat person on the Subway complete with her picture.

Here's the link to the second post in full:
http://thisisthinprivilege.tumblr.com/post/52475680487/algietheminer-anactingangel-smilesizeist

What I want to know, is how that isn't hypocritical?

Because they're doing it.  I've noticed that no matter the group, people will often call out the hypocrisy of others, but ignore their own.  It gets frustrating in large doses.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 03:50:05 am »
Has the SJW blogosphere exploded about the Jeselnik Offensive yet? Id imagine he'd have whole pages to himself on Your Fave is Problematic...
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 05:23:51 am »
I want to know how This Is Thin Privilege responds to the following 2 facts:

1. Weight can be changed. This means that the status of "thin" can effectively be "earned." The definition of privilege is generally given as a benefit conveyed by society on a classification that is not & can not be earned, such as race or sexual orientation.
2. Most of the supposed "privileges" of being "thin" have a dark side that is arguably worse than the benefits that they provide. For instance, while thin people are portrayed as beautiful, these portrayals are usually edited to be UNREALISTICALLY thin, which results in eating disorders. Which thin people are then berated for having, whether they actually do or not. Generally, if the risks dramatically outweigh the benefits, you aren't considered to be privileged.

It's quite possible that some things do not conform to a simple privilege/oppression dynamic, & that sometimes it's pretty much lose/lose.

Edit: Answered my own question. I find myself not liking a little less than half of This Is Thin Privilege's FAQ.

I think it’s important to note that disability is its own underprivileged status, and in this case thin people with EDs are conflating the oppression they feel for lacking able-bodied privilege with a negation of their thin privilege.

This whole "there are no significant drawbacks to thin people due to the promotion of thinness because that's something else" thing is a real running theme.

There’s a false dichotomy being set up in this question.

Such as fat*=oppressed & thin=privileged?

*=Wasn't sure what to list as opposite to "thin," but since the blog drops the word "fat" quite nonchalantly, I figured I'd take a "when in Rome" approach.

No. Body size is second only to height in heritability. Would you suggest that someone who’s too tall get shorter? No? Didn’t think so. You’ve been sold a pack of lies by the healthists and their corporate sponsors, the diet industry. Educate yourself.

As for the word ‘obese,’ it’s a medicalization of the human body, and the pathologization of a natural state. In short, I abhor it.

Let’s get this straight: The number of people who go from fat to thin, and stay there, statistically rounds down to zero.

I think that the necessity & ease of weight loss are dramatically overstated myths as well, but that it's essentially impossible for anyone sounds a lot like bullshit.

People who deny thin privilege and fat discrimination are trolls. Even if they don’t know it.

Well, I guess I can't argue with that logic.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 06:12:05 am by Lithp »

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 01:06:22 pm »
I don't feel like digging up the link now, but once I saw someone on tumblr call out someone else on "cultural appropriation" because they named their dog Bindi. They then wished for said dog to die. Regardless of whether they were right or not about the cultural appropriation, the dog didn't choose its fucking name.

They should also get pissy as Bindi Irwin, then.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

shykid

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 02:19:51 pm »

Cultural appropriation is baaaaad, but innocent animals dying because you personally disagree with their owners is totally kumbaya.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 06:15:57 pm »
I think the reason a lot of SJWs engage in hypocritical behaviors without acknowledging it or even denying that they're hypocrites is because they view it as "eye for an eye" sort of thing. In the case of the thin privilege blog up top, they feel that because their group was photographed and posted online, it's okay to do the same in "revenge" even if the person wasn't involved. They're probably also applying new context to the woman's apparent "Tsk of disgust", misinterpreting a benign action as a negative one directed specifically at them, or even inventing the action wholesale (either in their heads after the fact or intentionally lying to make for a justification).

And on that note, the reason crazy SJWs can feel good about taking "revenge" on people who have never wronged them is because the turn it into "us vs. them". All thin people are evil because of thin privilege. All white people are evil because some whites are racist. All cissexual people are evil because some cis folks don't believe in transsexuality. It's much easier to justify hatred and evil against a group if you can simply paint them with a sweeping brush and not have to think about their worth as a person.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 06:31:02 pm »
I never understand why everybody has to think in black and white, other than it's so damn easy to just dehumanize an entire group of people instead of think of others. Those people are nothing more than "Moonbats," the opposite extreme versions of a Wingnut (thanks, RationalWiki, for offering a such term, I don't know how many people use it, though).

But at the same time, we had people on this forum paint Social Justice Advocates in dark paint because of those idiots, who themselves - as already mentioned - do the same for a group of regular targets over specific idiots of that background. And the worst aspect, those people even consider reverse discrimination as justified. Discrimination is discrimination, no buts, no exceptions.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 06:46:03 pm »
I never understand why everybody has to think in black and white, other than it's so damn easy to just dehumanize an entire group of people instead of think of others.

That's exactly it: it IS easier. People tend to take the easy way out. The other choice would be to critically think about individuals and consider as many factors (as well as how important each factor is, rather than simply assigning equal importance to everything) as possible before making a decision. But that not only takes way more time and effort, but it means that you often have to ask yourself a lot of uncomfortable questions and risk coming to a conclusion that you don't agree with.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 07:11:11 pm »
It's so easy to view the world in black and white. But grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

wrightway

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 08:31:10 pm »
Dissect it at area 51?

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 08:50:46 pm »
But at the same time, we had people on this forum paint Social Justice Advocates in dark paint because of those idiots

Point of order: I still think that most social justice bloggers are morons.
Reason why: Most ANYTHING on the internet is fucking stupid.

Distind

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 08:53:35 pm »
But at the same time, we had people on this forum paint Social Justice Advocates in dark paint because of those idiots

Point of order: I still think that most social justice bloggers are morons.
Reason why: Most ANYTHING on the internet is fucking stupid.
Though the failure of internet activism(for anything other than goals directly related to the internet) may best be a seperate subject. It did make for a wonderfully long fight in the SJW thread.