Author Topic: Doctor Who and Women  (Read 7885 times)

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
Re: Doctor Who and Women
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2013, 10:07:06 am »
Exactly. Eleven is supposed to be full of himself, childish and overconfident. Part of this is likely because everyone was sick of The Emo Doctor and wanted a Time Lord that reflected exactly how everyone would feel towards traveling in time and space. He has depth, and at least some of his personality is specifically meant to keep people out, because he doesn't want to be hurt again. Honestly, there's a lot more depth to his dickery than people give them credit for. He's not just a dick, he's intentionally a dick, because after the last few companions, he doesn't want to be hurt more. He doesn't want to get close to someone only to lose them, as he's done so many times. So he is rude and insulting to them all, because he thinks it will make them not want to be around him. He doesn't just stop inviting people onboard the TARDIS because he needs to have a companion. This boils over after losing Amy and Rory, and he completely cuts off contact and stops adventuring, because he was even more deadset on it never, ever, ever happening again. Then, when he meets Clara, he sees a chance to make up for his past failure, and then his second failure with her. He's driven by not just discovery, but guilt that he couldn't save her before. He has a hero complex, and a need to save others. He always has, but it's on full display with Eleven. He's attracted to broken people, because he wants to help them and save them.

White Knight Syndrome, I like to call it.  Its one of the reasons I like Eleven, he tries to protect everyone to the point its a rather serious flaw.  Then, it boils over and even when he manages to take down an entire army without a single drop of blood spilled, in the end, it still bites him in the arse.
Yeah, and I admit, I relate to him because of that, and it makes me like him more. I pretty much do try to help everyone, and have openly admitted one of the things that attracts me is someone being broken in some way.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2013, 11:44:09 am »
^Ditto for me too.  Really in some way shape or form, he's shown damage since Nine.  It was just in different ways.  Nine was broody, depressed, and angry, Ten wanted to believe he was ten feet tall and bulletproof, and Eleven wants to help, but doesn't want to get too close for fear of being hurt again.  The Time War must have indeed been hell on him. 

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2013, 01:15:21 pm »
^Ditto for me too.  Really in some way shape or form, he's shown damage since Nine.  It was just in different ways.  Nine was broody, depressed, and angry, Ten wanted to believe he was ten feet tall and bulletproof, and Eleven wants to help, but doesn't want to get too close for fear of being hurt again.  The Time War must have indeed been hell on him.
Yeah. Eleven not only has the Time War, but all the crap Nine and Ten went through.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.