Author Topic: You can't sell your cake and discriminate too!  (Read 6161 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: You can't sell your cake and discriminate too!
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2013, 12:45:35 am »
I guess the issue is whether you think it only counts as a boycott if such an action is organized vs. spontaneous.

A boycott's a boycott. Nowhere in any legitimate definition does a boycott have to be an organized action. It's like saying that someone holding up an anti-corporate sign outside of Walmart isn't really protesting because they didn't organize a protest.

Except they did organize a protest.  They had to make the sign, they had to arrive there, and they had to hold it up.

In regards to boycotting, it'd be pretty easy to say that you're boycotting a product simply because it wasn't as good or as cost efficient as another product.  Like if you buy a dove chocolate bar instead of a hershey's chocolate bar.  The wider the definition, the less impact the word has.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2013, 12:46:46 am »
I guess the issue is whether you think it only counts as a boycott if such an action is organized vs. spontaneous.

A boycott's a boycott. Nowhere in any legitimate definition does a boycott have to be an organized action. It's like saying that someone holding up an anti-corporate sign outside of Walmart isn't really protesting because they didn't organize a protest.

Except they did organize a protest.  They had to make the sign, they had to arrive there, and they had to hold it up.

In regards to boycotting, it'd be pretty easy to say that you're boycotting a product simply because it wasn't as good or as cost efficient as another product.  Like if you buy a dove chocolate bar instead of a hershey's chocolate bar.  The wider the definition, the less impact the word has.
But that is a boycott. You're boycotting it due to quality or cost.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2013, 12:49:25 am »

So basically, everybody is boycotting 90% of everything just by existing then.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2013, 12:50:25 am »

Only if they were buying 90% of everything and then stopped. It's not a boycott if you never bought it or bought it only once if it's a more-than-once type of thing.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2013, 01:14:20 am »

A boycott is intended as a punishment or protest. So in this case, PHH is taking it a bit far.

Don't be pedantic. You said before that boycotts "have to be organized." Simply making a sign and standing outside a building requires barely more effort and organizational skill than refusing to buy a product because the company making it is run by cuntstains. If making a sign and standing outside Walmart is "organizing a protest", refusing to buy their products is "organizing a boycott." Your own logic has circled around and run into itself. The explosion was spectacular. Many lives were lost.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2013, 12:30:28 pm »
For "boycott" to be at all meaningful, there has to be a distinction between
a) Not buying a product or service because you are not interested or there are cheaper/higher quality alternatives, or whatever.
b) Not buying because you want to penalise the business for a practice you dislike, that doesn't directly affect your experience when using their product or service.

The first is the default reason we don't buy most of the things we don't buy. The second is a boycott. If they were the same thing, they probably wouldn't have needed to invent a new word for it.
Σא

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2013, 01:23:07 pm »
Well then, it's still a boycott.