Author Topic: United Nations bitch slaps Vatican in child abuse report  (Read 5633 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: United Nations bitch slaps Vatican in child abuse report
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 05:49:33 pm »
Interfere with Church Teaching? HOW THE HECK IS KIDDY-FIDDLIN' A TEACHING OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH?!

It wasn't that bit to which the Church objected, it was the bit where the commission said the Church should ensure that Catholic schools teach proper sex ed complete with condoms and such.

I still fail to see the problem.  Its the kind of "interference" that brings a bunch of backwards dickheads kicking and screaming into the modern fucking day.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 06:42:03 pm »

I'm no lawyer so I guess I'm just confused but, what is the line between "we got enough evidence to know he/she did it but can't get conviction" and "we have enough evidence for conviction?"

Because I would think that it is a very fine line.

I didn't say "enough evidence to know he did it". I said "some evidence", as in " There's reason to be suspicious but we are not sure".
Σא

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 06:45:36 pm »
Interfere with Church Teaching? HOW THE HECK IS KIDDY-FIDDLIN' A TEACHING OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH?!

It wasn't that bit to which the Church objected, it was the bit where the commission said the Church should ensure that Catholic schools teach proper sex ed complete with condoms and such.

I still fail to see the problem.  Its the kind of "interference" that brings a bunch of backwards dickheads kicking and screaming into the modern fucking day.

I'm not saying there's a problem, merely noting what that particular objection referred to.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 08:19:02 pm »

Kiddy-fiddling! Kiddy-fiddling! How does investigation of CHILD MOLESTATION violate Church doctrine?

Read! Logic! Context! Dummy!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 08:25:38 pm »
Spuki, the United Nations report is very long, and covers many topics within the subject of child welfare. Some of the report's points, other than about child rape, were what the Church was spinning little flecks of glitter at, just to have something critical to say back.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2014, 08:27:19 pm »
Kiddy-fiddling! Kiddy-fiddling! How does investigation of CHILD MOLESTATION violate Church doctrine?

You're expecting the church to throw their own members under the bus for the sake of consistency with their stated teachings? How does that benefit them in any way?

The purpose of a religious institution is to bolster the status of its leaders while they do very...ahem, forbidden things behind closed doors. That's how it's been for ages and I don't see any reason why that would change now.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 11:41:59 pm »

You're expecting the church to throw their own members under the bus for the sake of consistency with their stated teachings? How does that benefit them in any way?

The purpose of a religious institution is to bolster the status of its leaders while they do very...ahem, forbidden things behind closed doors. That's how it's been for ages and I don't see any reason why that would change now.

What I meant was how the Church said that folks investigating the sex abuse were going against Church doctrine, as if child-molesting was a part of church doctrine.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 11:43:01 pm »
Spuki, the Church wasn't talking about the molestations.  It was talking about their birth control policy.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 01:55:23 am »
Here, link to Vatican's official site page of the statement in response to the UN report. Scroll down halfway for the English version.

http://press.vatican.va/content/salastampa/en/bollettino/pubblico/2014/02/05/0087/00183.html

Later on today I'll (or some body else, please Eastern Hemisphere forumites) try to find a pdf or w/e of the actual UN report. It'll be a big document.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 06:16:53 pm by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2014, 08:29:53 am »

This, my dear friends, is why organized religion, by and large, sucks.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2014, 09:49:30 am »
Okay, I understand. The "Church Policy" thing was refering to ANOTHER part of the report. Sorry about that guys & sorry about my tone *hides under a rock*.  :-X

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2014, 12:53:10 pm »
Eeh, I don't blame ya too much, Spuki.  Its the Vatican, its been getting away with heinous bullshit for 2,000 years.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2014, 10:48:44 am »
I need to learn to read. Darn my ADHD!

Why didn't I see this?....

I can't believe I was such an ignoramus! READ, SPUKIKITTY, READ!

My dumbness, crummy read-comprehension & hypocrisy are going to kill me some day. :P

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2014, 11:13:26 am »
I need to learn to read. Darn my ADHD!

Why didn't I see this?....

I can't believe I was such an ignoramus! READ, SPUKIKITTY, READ!

My dumbness, crummy read-comprehension & hypocrisy are going to kill me some day. :P
Relax, Spuki.  You seem like a nice girl.  Don't sweat it.