Author Topic: Snake Handler Jamie Coots Dies  (Read 6881 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Snake Handler Jamie Coots Dies
« on: February 16, 2014, 11:38:57 pm »
http://news.msn.com/us/snake-handling-pastor-refuses-care-dies-from-bite

Jamie Coots, a snake-handling Kentucky pastor who appeared on the National Geographic television reality show "Snake Salvation," died Saturday after being bitten by a snake.

Coots was handling a rattlesnake during a Saturday night service at his Full Gospel Tabernacle in Jesus Name Church in Middlesboro when he was bit, another preacher, Cody Winn, told WBIR-TV.

"Jamie went across the floor. He had one of the rattlers in his hand, he came over and he was standing beside me. It was plain view, it just turned its head and bit him in the back of the hand ... within a second," Winn said.

When an ambulance arrived at the church at 8:30 p.m., they were told Coots had gone home, the Middlesboro Police Department said in a news release. Contacted at his house, Coots refused medical treatment.

Emergency workers left about 9:10 p.m. When they returned about an hour later, Coots was dead from a venomous snake bite, police said.
You know, the Bible says not to test God.  Funny how so many of these crackpots forget something so basic.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
Re: Snake Handler Jamie Coots Dies
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 12:56:23 am »
So he refused medical treatment believing god wouldn't let him die and died an hour later?
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 01:06:49 am »
I don't think this person was a Christian Scientist, but this is the reason why I hate them.

"Oh, I won't die, God will save my life." Yeah...

Also the name of that church makes me think of how creatively insipid most Christians are (Doug TenNapel notwithstanding).

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 02:08:37 am »
I kinda feel bad for this guy, I gotta say.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 02:45:49 am »
I really hope this makes it on the Darwin Awards.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 03:26:34 am »
Can't imagine why he wouldn't, unless he already reproduced.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 03:34:47 am »

The article says he has a son.

I feel the worst for the animals that are stressed into biting during this shit.  The fact that he says that they'd keep doing it until "either rattlesnakes or snake handlers are extinct" tells you all you need to know about these people; if these animals ever became critically endangered, they'd be right up there with the guys who poach tigers to grind up their bones into 'traditional medicines'.  Except where tiger poachers are treated with disgust and their belief in these medicines as superstition, poaching rattlesnakes would probably be met with a shrug and "but it's a really important religious ceremony for these people" and, you know, religious freedom and all that.  I wonder if they'd be made to face regulations similar to what Native Americans have to go through to obtain eagle feathers for their religious ceremonies.

Also, I wonder what'll happen to his snakes, especially the one that bit him.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 03:57:52 am by Iosa the Invincible »

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 06:49:56 am »
And the next winner of the Darwin Award . . .
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 07:10:15 am »
I kinda feel bad for this guy, I gotta say.

I feel bad for the snake.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 07:37:50 am »
This is pretty funny, actually.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 07:43:38 am »

The article says he has a son.
That doesn't disqualify you from winning one.

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 07:50:33 am »
In their minds, they are not tempting God, they are doing as the Bible says and demonstrating their faith due to one verse...Mark 16:18 - They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

That he died won't have an effect on them as far as handling snakes in the future.  Although this buffoon was their pastor, he died simply because, well, he just didn't have enough faith.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 09:42:48 am »
Excuse me while I channel a little rage...  I feel worse for the poor snakes than the fucking dumbass who risks death for their religious bullshit.  I seriously don't get how people can let religion override the basic instinct of self-fucking-perservation.  The million year-old instinct that tells you "This thing bit Ogg and Ogg died shortly thereafter.  MAYBE I SHOULDN'T FUCK WITH IT AND LEAVE IT ALONE."  Steve Irwin handled snakes and wrestled crocodiles to help preserve their species and take them out of harm's way.  These douchebags just frighten clearly lethally-venomous critters because their book, written by a bunch of Bronze Age goat-herders, told them that handling lethal, venomous snakes was a good idea...a people that thought such wonderful things like bloodletting were a smart thing to do.

Seriously, put down the snake, let it go back to wherever it lived before you scooped the poor thing up, and pick up something a smidge less dangerous, like a god damned tambourine!  If their idiocy drives a species to extinction, well...I hope the US government deems them a dangerous fucking cult, just like the Branch Davidian and Heaven's Gate, and kicks them in the collective dick.  Hell, I bet the only reason they aren't on a watchlist of some sort is because they aren't stockpiling guns and ammo en masse and letting their pastors fuck their daughters because its "god's will."
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 10:48:19 am »
Snake Handlers should have a photo in a dictionary next to the word, Dumbass.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 01:24:33 pm »
In their minds, they are not tempting God, they are doing as the Bible says and demonstrating their faith due to one verse...Mark 16:18 - They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

That he died won't have an effect on them as far as handling snakes in the future.  Although this buffoon was their pastor, he died simply because, well, he just didn't have enough faith.

Makes me wonder why they don't just drink bleach to prove their faith instead of dicking around with the snakes.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen