Author Topic: Utah Fights Homelessness... by Giving People Homes  (Read 2030 times)

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
Utah Fights Homelessness... by Giving People Homes
« on: February 26, 2014, 02:56:39 pm »
http://www.nationofchange.org/utah-ending-homelessness-giving-people-homes-1390056183

I'm quite frankly impressed that a program like this exists in the United States, much less in Utah.

Basically, they realized that it would be cheaper to provide the homeless with apartments and access to a social worker to help them out than to pay the costs of incarceration/healthcare/etc. that the state was incurring in trying to deal with them when they were homeless.  It has worked, and they're on track to effectively eliminate homelessness in the state by 2015.

I saw this article because a friend shared it with me, and I feel that I should pass on her commentary, because it is much better than anything I have to say:
This plan makes sense if you believe any of the following:

a) that safe housing is a human right, not just a luxury of the privileged
b) that the problem with homelessness is that people are homeless, in which case the best solution is to get them in homes (if you believe that the problem with homelessness is that it makes your city less attractive, or even less safe, then laws criminalizing homelessness--punishing people for financial hardship--become more popular)
c) that actually looking at the costs makes more sense than just assuming (though if you're basing your decision solely on financial cost, the outcome will vary by location)
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
Re: Utah Fights Homelessness... by Giving People Homes
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 03:28:01 pm »
That's really good news.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 03:36:30 pm »
Let's hope other states follow suit.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 04:17:05 pm »
Much of the costs for the goverment that come from homeless people are from hospital/medical costs and arresting/jailing them for being homeless. (crime does also happen but it is not the biggest issue.)

By giving them a shelter you significantly reduce those costs. (Is it suprising that people who sleep outside, exposed to the climate get sick often?)

And it is the decent thing to do since being homeless is horrible.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 09:24:49 pm »
Fucking Utah.  One moment, they're bugfuck nuts and yelling at walls for being the wrong colour, the next moment...they're doing things like this, that other people should be fucking doing.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 12:53:52 am »

NEW OHIO BILL WORSE THAN THE HOLOCAUST, AIDS, AND CIVIL RIGHTS COMBINED!TONIGHT ON FOX!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 01:20:28 am by I am lizard »

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 01:07:38 am »
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 10:21:47 am »
Nice, good job Utah! on paper it seems like such an obvious solution I'm suprised nobody tried it before

Offline Raymond Dullaghy

• Apprentice
  • God before dogma!
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 10:39:40 am »
At this point, I've become so jaded that even this seemingly great news can only get me cautiously optimistic. Sure, they've got four walls and a roof, which is a definite improvement. But what is the average quality of the apartments? Are they actually livable and connected to utilities? Who maintains the facilities? Do the inhabitants get any sort of other care (food/medical supplies, job assistance, etc.)?

If the program came to Michigan, I'd be OK with letting my tax dollars fund it. But I'd like to see exactly how it works in Utah before I get my hopes up.
I'm in science to discover and analyze God's wonderful universe, not gripe about how people don't like God.  I believe the creation/evolution debate is a waste of Christian brains (we have them, believe it or not) that could be better spent on making actual things.

Favorite philosophers (out of the ones I've personally read): Jesus, Solomon, Marcus Aurelius, Immanuel Kant

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 12:07:30 pm »
At this point, I've become so jaded that even this seemingly great news can only get me cautiously optimistic. Sure, they've got four walls and a roof, which is a definite improvement. But what is the average quality of the apartments? Are they actually livable and connected to utilities? Who maintains the facilities? Do the inhabitants get any sort of other care (food/medical supplies, job assistance, etc.)?

If the program came to Michigan, I'd be OK with letting my tax dollars fund it. But I'd like to see exactly how it works in Utah before I get my hopes up.

Being jaded is overrated.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 12:14:19 pm »
I'd say that's a heluva good start. Are they doing anything else like any kind of job assistance or training?
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 01:05:46 pm »
Yes

Each participant in Utah’s Housing First program also gets a caseworker to help them become self-sufficient, but they keep the apartment even if they fail. The program has been so successful that other states are hoping to achieve similar results with programs modeled on Utah’s.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Raymond Dullaghy

• Apprentice
  • God before dogma!
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 01:29:45 pm »
Each participant in Utah’s Housing First program also gets a caseworker to help them become self-sufficient, but they keep the apartment even if they fail. The program has been so successful that other states are hoping to achieve similar results with programs modeled on Utah’s.

That's what I wanted to hear. I think I may have missed it during my first read-through.
I'm in science to discover and analyze God's wonderful universe, not gripe about how people don't like God.  I believe the creation/evolution debate is a waste of Christian brains (we have them, believe it or not) that could be better spent on making actual things.

Favorite philosophers (out of the ones I've personally read): Jesus, Solomon, Marcus Aurelius, Immanuel Kant

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 09:34:18 pm »
Finally coming around to the idea that a home is a right and not a privilege?  Well fuck me, that took long enough.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.