Author Topic: Star Wars thread  (Read 35889 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Star Wars thread
« on: May 23, 2014, 02:58:35 pm »
Just thought I'd make this seeing all the conversations about Star Wars.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Star Wars thread
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 03:07:56 pm »
Yeah, this was a good idea.  Thanks, UP.

Aye, Episode VII does sound like its got plenty of potential.  Any movie that doesn't have Yoda being either a semi-sane old coot or an overly pious arse is welcome.

It's funny, because he's actually got kind of a hidden mischevious streak to him, at least according to the Clone Wars.  If he was more like that, then he'd be a good character.

Eventually, we're finally gonna get some answers on his backstory whenever DisneyLucasarts gets around to releasing the special on him.  Fans are mixed about this, I for one think it could actually redeem his character.

I won't know until I see it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 03:12:08 pm by Magus Silveresti »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 10:25:46 pm »
Yeah, this was a good idea.  Thanks, UP.

Aye, Episode VII does sound like its got plenty of potential.  Any movie that doesn't have Yoda being either a semi-sane old coot or an overly pious arse is welcome.

It's funny, because he's actually got kind of a hidden mischevious streak to him, at least according to the Clone Wars.  If he was more like that, then he'd be a good character.

Eventually, we're finally gonna get some answers on his backstory whenever DisneyLucasarts gets around to releasing the special on him.  Fans are mixed about this, I for one think it could actually redeem his character.

I won't know until I see it.

The original script for "The Empire Strikes Back" had a training montage that included Yoda teaching Luke that super-jump he used in Cloud City by sitting on high branch and holding Luke's lightsaber for him to try and jump up and grab. His act when first meeting Luke was also a persona he adopted with anyone he encountered over the years on Dagobah, both to convince them he wasn't worth bothering and (I think) just for fun.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 04:58:06 am »
I kind of feel sorry vfor JJ Abrams as he's being blamed, by people on Twitter and FB, for both only casting one female character and the loss of the EU.  First, there's always been only one main female character.  And second, Abrams had nothing to do with the EU being rendered non-canon.  Why don't they blame him for the moving not starting with the Fox Fanfare while they're at it!
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 07:17:19 am »
Because, clearly, JJ Abrams is behind everything bad in movies ever.  People are likely still butthurt about the recent Star Trek films.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 11:45:38 am »
Also, fairly certain that the only EU that was lost was the EU after episode 6, which was an absolute necessity.  Not to mention, the canonity of EU has ALWAYS been on the verge of being retconned because of Lucas' tiers of canonity Movies > TV > Games > Books (Comic or Novel)

At least I think that was the tiers.

Also, JJ Abrams is a Star Wars fanboy.  He may not have done the greatest job with the Star Trek reboot (Though I would point out that being a Star Wars fanboy does NOT exclude you from being a Star Trek fan) but he most certainly is interested in doing his best with Star Wars.

...Come to think of it, I'm suddenly realizing that he was probably a kid when Star Wars came out, and grew up with it.  And now he's working on a new movie.

I'm happy for him.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 11:49:54 am by Magus Silveresti »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 11:50:41 pm »
At least I think that was the tiers.

Nope, it's far more idiotic and convoluted than that:

G-Canon (George Lucas Canon): The movies.
T-Canon (Television Canon): The Clone Wars (which always annoyed me because it arbitrarily went out of the way to contradict things from lower tiers for no good reason)
C-Canon (Comics Canon): Anything that isn't directly contradicted by the above tiers. Almost everything is in here.
S-Canon (Semi-Canon): Anything that IS contradicted by the above, but not completely.
N-Canon (Non-Canon): Self-explanatory.

And I really don't know why people are freaking out over the changes because Star Wars canon has always been fragile at best with Lucas being on record of hating most of it and going out of his way to arbitrarily contradict other stories with his preferred ideas. The completely pointless and inexplicable name change of Korriban to Moribund, anyone?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 12:02:58 am by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 12:16:25 am »
It's not like it's unheard of for planets to have multiple names though.

Earth/Terra anyone?

That being said, the tenuous canon is an excellent point, one I've actually been making in my poking at enraged fanboys.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 12:24:27 am »
My only contribution to this thread is with the loss of the EU, we lose the X-Wing series.

Ironbite-and the biggest baddass stick jocky to ever climb into an X-Wing cockpit.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 12:25:26 am »
Abrams might do a good job here as the Star Trek movies felt more like Star War movies.  Of course that is the problem with the new Trek movies.

As for the EU, I'm glad it is being killed.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 12:29:47 am »
My only contribution to this thread is with the loss of the EU, we lose the X-Wing series.

Ironbite-and the biggest baddass stick jocky to ever climb into an X-Wing cockpit.

The only characters I'll miss are Kyle Katarn and Jaden.

Though as it turns out, just because the EU is no longer canon doesn't mean the Dark Forces and Jedi Academy games have spontaneously vanished.

As for the EU, I'm glad it is being killed.

That's an interesting viewpoint.  I disagree with it, but I also like it.  Weird.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 12:42:45 am »
I'm sad that the EU is going away, but I still agree with the decision. Why should we expect Abrams to dig through 20 years of continuity?
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 12:51:43 am »
Was it Abrams' decision to get rid of the EU? I would think that a decision like that woul come from higher up in the Disney management.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 12:52:15 am »
Not to mention that not even the EU can agree on what happened directly after Episode 6, considering even the books contradict each other sometimes.

There are some elements that I want to see kept in Episode 7/8/9, though.  Palpatine having clones of himself, Luke temporarily becoming "Luke Vader" in an attempt to destroy the Sith from within, Kyle Katarn and Jaden...

But at the same time, I'm just happy that we're getting something new and concrete.  And Mark Hamill believes that Star Wars is in good hands - and if Mark Hamill likes it, I can give it a shot.

Was it Abrams' decision to get rid of the EU? I would think that a decision like that woul come from higher up in the Disney management.

...You know what, I'm not actually sure...

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2014, 01:02:45 am »
At the very least, Disney can't do any worse than the prequels.
Who needs a signature?