Author Topic: Campbellsville University about to have first female defensive back for football  (Read 3803 times)

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
What next?  Women voting?  Women working?  Women driving cars?
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
All I can say is......

AWESOME!!!

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
Incidentally someone in the comments was talking about how it won't be long before she's put in a wheelchair.

...Funnily enough, I think these people tend to forget that women are more resistant to pain than men (to the point where if a man was to actually go through the birth process, he would die from shock due to the pain)

Which of course, is rubbish.

Study after study has shown that men have a higher tolerance for pain than women, according to researchers who seem to be making some progress in figuring out why.

"When estrogen levels are high, the brain's natural painkiller system responds more potently when a painful experience occurs, releasing chemicals called endorphins or enkephalins that dampen the pain signals received by the brain," the Michigan team reported. "But when estrogen is low, the same system doesn't typically control pain nearly as effectively."

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=97662

so... I don't understand why women WOULDN'T be fit to compete, especially if they actually meet the physical requirements (because I doubt a university would just up and allow her into a physically demanding position without her being able to do it)

Do you think men should be allowed on women's sports teams if they "meet the requirements"? (I personally think we should just get rid of segregated sports teams)
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Do you think men should be allowed on women's sports teams if they "meet the requirements"? (I personally think we should just get rid of segregated sports teams)

Watch equestrian sports, then (and not horse racing, I mean things like dressage and show jumping): the governing body explicitly forbids sex-segregated competitions.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast

Watch equestrian sports, then (and not horse racing, I mean things like dressage and show jumping): the governing body explicitly forbids sex-segregated competitions.

Well too bad they don't do that for football, soccer, tennis and pretty much every other sport.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.