Author Topic: Regulate sugar like alcohol and cigarettes?  (Read 39671 times)

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
Re: Regulate sugar like alcohol and cigarettes?
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2012, 03:30:16 pm »
Sleepy, I live with the person who wrote those rules and I've ran  a number of my posts by her. She didn't see a problem. Napoleon is also in this thread and he didn't see need to give me a warning (official or unofficial). And, you know what, what was said to me in the thread was belittling, to treat me as if I don't have knowledge of the subject when I've demonstrated on this forum and the old site that I do. Unless you really, really want to try and claim Zachski knows more about biochemistry and physiology than I do. If it was some other field like, say, history or psychology that would be one thing, but not when some ignorant layperson thinks he knows more than somebody who fucking studies this shit.

He didn't act as if he knows more than you. He simply explained the concept in his post. That could've been for his own benefit, or it could've been for others in the thread. I'd be more likely to agree with you if his post contained foul language or a negative tone, but it doesn't, and stating that it implies those things is a huge leap. I don't care that Oriet approved it, or that Nap hasn't issued a warning. That doesn't make your dickish behavior right.

And we get it, you know a great deal about biochemistry and physiology. Drop the arrogance.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2012, 03:32:45 pm »
Telling the truth isn't arrogance.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2012, 03:34:30 pm »
Correct. Being right and telling the truth with a haughty tone while continually reminding everyone that he has more knowledge than them in various fields? That's arrogant.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2012, 03:35:42 pm »
Vene is falling into the appeal to authority fallacy, I see. While also using ad hominems against people he is arguing with. There were days when Vene was actually polite when he debated. I miss those days.

@Lexikon- Mira was being sarcastic.
I miss the days when people here actually knew the meaning of fallacies. Ad hominem doesn't mean you were mean. Ad hominem would be me saying 'you're an idiot and are wrong' not 'you're an idiot and are wrong because x.'

Except you already admitted to saying 'you're an idiot and you're wrong.' Plus there is evidence of you saying it, maybe not in so few terms, but it's there. Ergo...

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Vene

• AKA Vene-Eye the Science Guy
  • Pope
  • Patronizing Know-It-All Snotnose
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2012, 03:39:32 pm »
Vene is falling into the appeal to authority fallacy, I see. While also using ad hominems against people he is arguing with. There were days when Vene was actually polite when he debated. I miss those days.

@Lexikon- Mira was being sarcastic.
I miss the days when people here actually knew the meaning of fallacies. Ad hominem doesn't mean you were mean. Ad hominem would be me saying 'you're an idiot and are wrong' not 'you're an idiot and are wrong because x.'

Except you already admitted to saying 'you're an idiot and you're wrong.' Plus there is evidence of you saying it, maybe not in so few terms, but it's there. Ergo...
No, Shane, here is what I said:
But people only started paying attention once I stated saying, 'you're an idiot and are wrong because x, y, or z.'

Unless you have another quote in mind.

Offline Vene

• Pope
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2012, 03:42:52 pm »
Correct. Being right and telling the truth with a haughty tone while continually reminding everyone that he has more knowledge than them in various fields? That's arrogant.
I know right! How dare I have the audacity to get uppity when people try to incorrectly explain simple concepts to me. You might have a point if I was saying something incorrect, but I wasn't.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2012, 03:46:55 pm »
Latest example in this thread:
but not when some ignorant layperson thinks he knows more than somebody who fucking studies this shit.

QED. You are attacking someone, not their ideas but the person. Including appeal to authority for extra oomph.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Vene

• Pope
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2012, 03:52:10 pm »
Latest example in this thread:
but not when some ignorant layperson thinks he knows more than somebody who fucking studies this shit.

QED. You are attacking someone, not their ideas but the person. Including appeal to authority for extra oomph.
Considering that in the example I was talking about I actually went and explained why he was wrong (with citations!), it's not an ad hom, he is ignorant. You're also a fool if you think that random person is as likely to be right about a biological phenomenon as a biologist.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2012, 03:53:12 pm »
And thus you prove exactly what I said in the DeVry thread. Thanks. Couldn't do it without ya.

&

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2012, 03:54:44 pm »

Vene didn't constantly remind people. As far as I recall, only one time in this thread.

Oh and people saying that junk food will be bought because it is cheaper? Vene already answered that too.

You know, it would be great if all the parents in the U.S. could just go down to their local Whole Paycheck Foods and cook up a nice non-sugary meal every night. Unfortunately, a lot of families can't afford that. Say what you will about sugar and fast food, but that shit's cheap and a lot of times it's the only thing they can afford.
Here's a radical idea, take the money gained from taxing sugar and use it to subsidize healthier foods.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2012, 04:03:46 pm »
*ahem*  Lexi, that's the thing.  Sleepy wasn't referring to just this thread.  Vene has a history of doing this across multiple threads.  Now, that's not saying he isn't knowledgeable, or that he isn't educated; he is.  Very much so, and I respect that knowledge and education, but, using that as an excuse to belittle people is, quite frankly, crossing the line from simple "knowing what I'm saying" to "knowing what I'm saying, and you, therefore, do not."
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Vene

• Pope
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2012, 04:05:39 pm »
*ahem*  Lexi, that's the thing.  Sleepy wasn't referring to just this thread.  Vene has a history of doing this across multiple threads.  Now, that's not saying he isn't knowledgeable, or that he isn't educated; he is.  Very much so, and I respect that knowledge and education, but, using that as an excuse to belittle people is, quite frankly, crossing the line from simple "knowing what I'm saying" to "knowing what I'm saying, and you, therefore, do not."

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2012, 04:11:18 pm »

He isn't trying to belittle people, he's just answering their claims.

If people don't know what they are saying I see no need for Vene, or anyone else, to not point that out.

Offline TenfoldMaquette

• Pope
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2012, 04:14:03 pm »
Funny that people only started to retract their piss-poor analogies only after I started to behave in a way you disapprove of. I started out with trying to say, 'you are wrong because x, y, or z.' But people only started paying attention once I stated saying, 'you're an idiot and are wrong because x, y, or z.'

In my own defense (though I doubt you're talking about me - if not, feel free to ignore this) the statement of mine you quoted was the last thing I posted before my clarification of my post, with around twelve hours passing between the two. I'd have corrected myself earlier if I'd been around, but such is the nature of the internet. :-/

Offline GLaDOS

• Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System
  • Bishop
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2012, 04:24:03 pm »
Inb4 LHM 2.0 (albeit politer, and without the pig-fucking)
Space? SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!
How are you holding up? Because I'm a POTATO.
Silence will fall.
For fuck's sake, please keep my fucks given levels balanced.