Author Topic: Police officer fired for NOT using a taser  (Read 2099 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Police officer fired for NOT using a taser
« on: December 09, 2014, 03:14:03 am »
First a few links:

http://www.ksbw.com/news/csumb-police-officer-investigated-for-not-using-taser/30049418
http://thefreethoughtproject.com/ca-cop-fired-violence-resolve-situation/

Remember this: If a police officer in USA uses lethal force against non-resisting suspect that is perfectly fine, but if a police officer refuses to use force against a suspect because he feels the use of force to be unwarranted and might risk killing the suspect... That is a reason to fire that police officer.

Short version:
The unidentified officer was the first one on the scene when responding to an incident involving a suicidal college student in his CSUMB dorm room in February of this year. The officer showed a heartening level of restraint when dealing with a student, who was in his room with a knife and hammer, and was also threatening to light himself on fire.

“He was clearly a danger to himself and he was in crisis,” Marina Police Chief Edmundo Rodriguez said. “We were trying to keep him from accessing the weapons or leave, to get him medical attention.”

Instead of immediately resorting to violence, this officer was talking the student down and de-escalating the situation. The officer was successful in calming the student down and was going to get him a glass of water when the Marina police department showed up, and immediately began tasering the student.

The campus officer refused to taser the student, as he did not perceive a threat. Subsequently Rodriguez’s department later issued a “failure to act” complaint against the campus officer, accusing him of not engaging in a “highly agitated situation.”

So basically: if someone goes overboard, the other police officers must back him up but if someone refuses to comply with this THEY get dogpiled.

EDIT:

“He (the university officer) never engaged and he just stood there and watched,” Rodriguez said.

It was not until the student tried to run away that the officer used his Taser, Rodriguez said. The student was taken to a hospital for treatment and sustained no serious injuries from the Taser, he said.

So he refused to use unnecessary force, but used taser when it was necessary to stop the kid? Clearly he is not a proper cop...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 03:22:44 am by askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
Re: Police officer fired for NOT using a taser
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 07:57:52 am »
As time passes, and more of these kinds of stories and events happen. I cant help but feel more and more grateful that I merely live in Africa and not America.

I guess the ggood thing we should take away from this story is that at least the police department didn't just shoot the kid.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 08:12:09 am »
I cannot help but read it as; "failure to act; you didn't kill a single person - you call yourself a cop?"
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 08:21:49 am »
"What, trying to do your job PROPERLY? fuck you, you're making us look bad!"

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 09:50:12 am »
[cookie if you get the reference]

Police Chief Honest was later quoted as saying; "We appreciate brutality and will to kill in our police officers. I have no use for someone who will not kill on demand."
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 07:43:01 pm »
Because your brain is working?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 07:44:57 pm »
We need to boost this.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 08:21:35 pm »
Read the whole sig dude.

Ironbite-should put in the credit at some point.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 01:12:44 am »
Well, it's fairly obvious why he was fired. By not doing his job of being a violent asshole as much as possible, he was casting doubt on the reputation of cops as violent, over-entitled assholes, and the cops have spent too much time cultivating that reputation to let one man ruin it.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 01:21:48 am »
At least his union is defending him.

I think the real issue here is that there is a "code" that demands that all officers must back each other up and if one (or more) of them goes overboard no one should try to stop them and instead they must act as if that was proper behaviour, because showing a united front to their "enemies" is the most important thing. When this officer refused to tase the kid (who was already being tased and getting repeatedly tased is what causes most taser deaths, a single "zap" is usually safe) he broke ranks. So now everyone is ganging up on him instead. Us vs Them mentality is at work here as well.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 11:12:29 pm »
If they don't use disproportionate force for every minor crime they encounter then the bla- I mean. criminals will have won!