Author Topic: Cartoon Network UK Censors Steven Universe  (Read 12100 times)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: Cartoon Network UK Censors Steven Universe
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2016, 03:38:52 pm »
Butthurt over a butt slap.

If it was instead a case of removing a black character's schtick of tap dancing when happy, what would that qualify as?
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2016, 03:53:58 pm »
Butthurt over a butt slap.

If it was instead a case of removing a black character's schtick of tap dancing when happy, what would that qualify as?

You know, if I tried to downplay removing subtext-laden shots from Steven Universe, I'd be accused of "gaslighting."

Even Then

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2016, 04:07:32 pm »
It would be condescending and prickish of you to tell MOGAI people that their erasure in fiction isn't that big of a deal, yeah, but I'm not sure that would qualify as gaslighting per se.

Or be comparable to a game company making the independent decision to tone down sexual content in their game, marginalizing exactly zero (0) marginalized groups.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2016, 05:31:03 pm »
Its not gaslighting. Gaslighting isn't something anyone can do to just anyone. It has a specific meaning and is used in the context of abusive relationships. Let's not go using it here.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2016, 05:32:20 pm »
Its not gaslighting. Gaslighting isn't something anyone can do to just anyone. It has a specific meaning and is used in the context of abusive relationships. Let's not go using it here.

I wasn't using it that way, just talking about people who do.  Hence the scare quotes.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2016, 05:44:06 pm »
Here is my one and only comment on this entire fucking censorship thing:  It is impossible to censor yourself.  Censorship is by definition imposed people other than the content creators.

"I don't feel like kids should know that lesbians exist, so I'm going to clip out every vaguely homoerotic subtext in this already-made-by-someone-else-at-our-US-branch cartoon" = censorship because Rebecca Sugar et al. had nothing to do with it.

"Upon further reflection, I feel like the form of sexualization of this particular female character is objectifying and over-the-top, so I'm going to tone it down a bit before releasing the actual game to the public" = NOT CENSORSHIP.  People are allowed to change the design of their own characters.

Actually, self-censorship does exist.

And AFAIK, Mika's butt slap getting removed was done by the suits, not the devs.

The word actually, whether or not it is in italics as actually, is not an argument.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2016, 05:54:22 pm »

I wasn't using it that way, just talking about people who do.  Hence the scare quotes.

Is there any further doubt every single argument you bring forth is completely and utterly dishonest? You brought up gaslighting and you don't have the integrity to admit you did.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2016, 07:09:39 pm »
Self-censorhip is a thing, but its pretty much a good thing.  Why?  Because, without those nice internal censors, we'd be saying whatever bullshit pops into our heads without thinking.  Communication would be difficult bordering on impossible, or at the very least incredibly frustrating.  Think about it: let's say I get, for whatever reason, the desire to call my brother a cuntwhistle.  Now, let's say my brother is the kind to be offended by that (my real brother isn't, but that's neither here nor there).  I could call him that, cause a fight, and generally have a bad time.  Or, I could NOT call him that, thanks to my internal censors telling me that its a stupid idea, and I avoid said fight.  Nobody's hurt, and we move on with our lives like reasonable adults.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2016, 08:07:14 pm »
Without self-censorship, I'd have been booted from the forums long ago.

Ironbite-mostly for ripping into fools like I do in Flame and Burn.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2016, 08:16:55 pm »
Locking this thread. Its turning into more wankery
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.