Author Topic: Pentagon-backed group fighting CIA-backed group? Welcome to Syria.  (Read 2552 times)

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
http://www.latimes.com/world/middleeast/la-fg-cia-pentagon-isis-20160327-story.html

So, Pentagon organizes a coalition to fight ISIS. Meanwhile CIA supplies other groups with Saudi equipment to help them fight Assad. Russia's involvement in the war weakens the anti-Assad groups and makes them vulnerable. Now the Pentagon-supported coalition is fighting at least one CIA-backed group for the control of northern Syria.

“It is an enormous challenge,” said Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Burbank), the top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, who described the clashes between U.S.-supported groups as “a fairly new phenomenon.”

“It is part of the three-dimensional chess that is the Syrian battlefield,” he said.

Yeah. Except you don't control your own pieces directly but instead just give them suggestions and send them to the complicated game board. Oh, and the pieces are not on the same side and don't particularly like each other.

“Once they cross the border into Syria, you lose a substantial amount of control or ability to control their actions,” Jeffrey White, a former Defense Intelligence Agency official, said in a telephone interview. “You certainly have the potential for it becoming a larger problem as people fight for territory and control of the northern border area in Aleppo.”

American forum members: your tax dollars in work.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Pentagon-backed group fighting CIA-backed group? Welcome to Syria.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 01:25:29 pm »
I'm going to hunt down the other article I've seen about this because this one might not be true. I think the real story ws a bit more complicated.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 01:53:11 pm »
My brain hurts.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 02:24:33 pm »
Sounds like business as usual to me.

You can't keep the war machine going forever without inventing new enemies to fight.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 02:59:25 pm »
So, two rival militia groups are fighting each other like they always can and will in any given chaotic civil war situation, and they are not in the least concerned that their ammo donors are not happy about that? <channels militia> "Zero fucks given".
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 03:29:51 pm »
Can't find the article anymore so I'm gonna give up as I have no evidence for my claims.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 05:55:20 pm »
Its a rather interesting situation - both sides whether they really know or acknowledge it or not are fighting on behalf of one single entity. They are as puppets, dancing on strings of fire and ammunition, and the stage is Syria. Dance on, because the powers that be will not let either of you win.

Rather reminds me of Shin Megami Tensei IV Final.

Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 06:06:04 pm »

You can't keep the war machine going forever without inventing new enemies to fight.
That's not really what happened. These groups weren't meant to fight each other for the sake of fighting each other, one was meant to fight Assad's forces and the other ISIS. It just turns out that they don't much care for each other and decided to waste America's ammo on that rather than going after their intended targets.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 06:41:45 pm »

That's not really what happened. These groups weren't meant to fight each other for the sake of fighting each other, one was meant to fight Assad's forces and the other ISIS. It just turns out that they don't much care for each other and decided to waste America's ammo on that rather than going after their intended targets.

True, but we've had so many past incidents of arming the good ol' future-enemies-but-current-freedom-fighters that this really wasn't a surprise. Anyone with basic pattern recognition would have seen it coming.

It does provide plausible deniability if what you really want is more enemies who will keep wars going longer and defense contractors in employ indefinitely.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 06:58:02 pm »
True, but we've had so many past incidents of arming the good ol' future-enemies-but-current-freedom-fighters that this really wasn't a surprise. Anyone with basic pattern recognition would have seen it coming.

It does provide plausible deniability if what you really want is more enemies who will keep wars going longer and defense contractors in employ indefinitely.
Yeah, that's a fair point.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 07:33:53 pm »
Without any indepth knowledge of the situation it seems that CIA is more careless here despite it being Pentagon supported group who have initiated the conflict. Pentagon's approach seems to be to gather a coalition and co-ordinate them with real consideration for the politics of the situation: having Arab groups within the coalition in order to minimize the chance to inflame Kurd-Arab conflict. Of course, since their target is ISIS they don't need to hide their involvement unlike CIA when they oppose Assad.

CIA's approach seems to be to use their resources to provide indirect support to groups that are against Assad and not linked to Al-Qaeda and then let them do their thing. The point is to keep more pressure against Assad while not officially allying against him and Russia but by keeping their distance they also lose even the little control Pentagon has over "their" guys. With the chaotic situation on the ground the resources provided by the CIA have a much bigger chance to end up in the wrong hands either by being captured or by one or several of the groups evolving into something much worse.

In the end, I guess I'd rather have the Syrian Democratic Forces control the north than the Knights of Righteousness. If nothing else, at least the coalition isn't as openly islamistic as the other groups. Since my tax money doesn't go to either side I can carefully wish for success for the SDF while hoping against the odds that nothing goes too badly wrong. On the other hand, I have no idea what this would mean for the power balance in the actual civil war between Assad and the rebels and how much the fallout would even matter in the end.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 10:55:14 am »
Well its good practice, cause if America has no one to fight than its best to just fight with itself. Gotta keep that money rolling in for those weapons manufacturers, you know what I'm saying?  8)
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 04:41:56 pm »
At this point i'm just sad it's a bit late to start buying shares in popcorn manufacturers.

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."