Author Topic: "Science" book for Christian schools  (Read 5375 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
"Science" book for Christian schools
« on: October 25, 2016, 01:03:22 pm »
http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Eye-Opening_Highlights_From_a_Creationist_Science_Textbook

A cursory look makes me wonder if even fundie schools would pick a book like that but I have been surprised before...

Personal favourite:

I saved this page for the penultimate point because it's my favorite in the book. Let's ignore the weird, weird photo of the girl for a second and focus on the text. "Electricity is a mystery. No one has ever observed it or heard it or felt it ... We cannot even say where electricity comes from."

The reason this page bugged me is because it doesn't come back to "God created it." I would actually accept that. This one is just misinformation for misinformation's sake.

For the record: Pretty much every other question in the book is answered with "God did it."
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: "Science" book for Christian schools
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 04:18:38 pm »
Oh lord really?

Ironbite-I hate humanity sometimes.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 08:04:00 pm »
Sounds like something from Miles' "schoolbooks."
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 08:12:17 pm »
... I have no words for the dumb-fuckery going on here, just...why?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 08:14:22 pm »
... I have no words for the dumb-fuckery going on here, just...why?

Because Gawd and Jaybus and EVILUTION!
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 02:57:09 am »
...And one day, the Electricity will fade, and only Dark will remain.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 03:09:21 am »
...And one day, the Electricity will fade, and only Dark will remain.
We must link the first outlet.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 12:54:25 pm »
Ok, disclaimer I've only read the picture. I didn't click the link. That said, let's see what one Rookie found. First of all, I've felt electricity running through me before and have the burns on my fingertips to prove it. Like the wind the pic compares it to, you can too feel electricity. But you can also see it in shocks, sparks, and lightning.
We know what electricity is like and where it comes from. Well I don't. But engineers and scientists do. I know they know because they can make it. They can make it and send it all the way to my house to light my light bulbs and make my phone ring.
I'm kinda scared to click the link to see what other "science" is there.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 10:14:21 pm »
You want to weep for humanity, get the 7th-grade A Beka "science" book.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 01:23:12 am »
Ok, disclaimer I've only read the picture. I didn't click the link. That said, let's see what one Rookie found. First of all, I've felt electricity running through me before and have the burns on my fingertips to prove it. Like the wind the pic compares it to, you can too feel electricity. But you can also see it in shocks, sparks, and lightning.
We know what electricity is like and where it comes from. Well I don't. But engineers and scientists do. I know they know because they can make it. They can make it and send it all the way to my house to light my light bulbs and make my phone ring.
I'm kinda scared to click the link to see what other "science" is there.

He has Linked the Electricity! All bow before the Lord of Cinder!
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 08:17:31 pm »
Electricity is generated by combining fossil fuels such as coal and natural gas with heat. Alternatively nuclear and natural sources can be used.
If you're going to write a textbook please do some research.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 08:28:52 pm »
Electricity is generated by combining fossil fuels such as coal and natural gas with heat. Alternatively nuclear and natural sources can be used.
If you're going to write a textbook please do some research.
It's actually generated by relative perpendicular motion between a magnetic field and a conductor within said field. Those fuel sources you mentioned are merely a means of inducing said motion.

That said, welcome back, Jebusfire. Haven't seen you around in a while.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 12:20:57 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 01:32:16 am »
And nuclear power plants are used as steam engines... The reaction in the reactor causes a lot of heat which is used to heat up water and the hot steam turns a pole with magnets on it thus creating an electric current to the coils around the pole. Which is an incredibly wasteful way to get energy but for some reason no one has come up with a more effective method.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 04:14:45 am »
Pretty much all power plants that that aren't wind, hydro or solar photvoltaic are giant steam engines. Coal, oil, gas, solar heat, geothermal, nuclear and whatever else. The only difference between them is the fuel source. Once you reach the "heat water" step, it's all pretty much the same.

Well, not quite for nuclear. Nuclear reactors heat up (and irradiate the fuck out of) water, which is then used to heat up yet more (radiation free) water on a separate line which then spins the generator. I guess the sheer, insane amount of energy produced makes up for the godawful efficiency of the whole set up.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 08:48:21 am »
Re: nuke reactors, there's actually a wide variety of non-water reactors, or at least those for whom water is heated indirectly.  Things like the pebble-bed reactor, which uses uranium-doped graphite pellets to heat carbon dioxide and the liquid metal fast breeder reactor, which uses molten sodium.  Hell, I think there's even some that use molten lead, and that's not even getting into how cool liquid fluoride thorium reactors are.

Sorry, nuclear power is a point of fascination for me, lol.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.