Author Topic: "Power man" or "Power menace?"  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
"Power man" or "Power menace?"
« on: October 26, 2016, 02:27:09 am »
Someone doesn't like Luke Cage...

http://www.mediaite.com/online/hollywoods-first-black-superhero-more-of-a-super-thug/

“Obviously, there’s this Trayvon Martin thing that happened. I think everyone was shaken to the core in America who basically understood there was a black teen in his neighborhood, who was basically killed for wearing a hoodie. And it’s like this guy thought he was a threat,” asserted Mike Colter, the actor playing Cage, in an interview with Chelsea Handler.

Yeah we know. But why let facts get in the way. Martin wasn’t in “his neighborhood;” but rather, in his father’s girlfriend’s condominium complex in Sanford, Florida. The complex had experienced previous break-ins. The night Martin was shot to death by neighborhood watchman George Zimmerman, witnesses and Zimmerman testified that they saw a male dressed in a hoodie, peering into windows.

“All people who wear hoodies are not criminals . . .It’s a symbolic thing,” Colter said of having Cage wear a hoodie. A hoodie is symbolic all right; it’s the fashion of choice for criminals (and now black superheroes), who use them to hide their face from being identified by witnesses, police or surveillance cameras when committing a crime.

This just in: EVERYONE WHO WEARS A HOODIE IS A CRIMINAL!

Every single paragraph makes it clear that not only does the writer know nothing about the comic book character Power man but he is also extremely racist No wait, the writer is a woman. And black. And pro-Trump. ...I don't know what to think.

Not missing a beat to perpetuate Democrats’ black lies, Carl Lucas, the black Super-thug’s real name, escaped from a privately run prison in Georgia called Seagate. And this is because everyone knows that private prisons are to blame for “the mass incarceration of blacks” — not black males themselves, who are disproportionately engaging in crime, being convicted by juries and then sentenced by judges.

And apparently from now on when police officers shoot black people in USA it is literally the fault of Netflix:
Instead Netflix delivered a champion of deviancy, who will encourage black kids to believe they can pick fights, confront police and have a hoodie protect them. How cool is that? Way to add to the black body count Netflix. Way to go!

I hadn't heard about the writer before, but apparently Crystal Wright has a blog called "Conservative Black Chick" where she blames Democrats for everything bad in the world and promotes Donald Trump...

I may have to spread this article elsewhere just because I want it to be an example of how NOT to do a review on a subject...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 02:29:27 am by Askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
Re: "Power man" or "Power menace?"
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 03:33:03 am »
Well, she was pro-Trump until a couple of weeks ago. Either she decided to jump a sinking ship or she truly was delusional about him until the whole ogling half-naked teens in the dressing room thing that seems to finally have offended her.

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 06:38:13 am »
I have hoodies.  I wear them under my denim jacket when the weather is cold because they keep my ears warmer and I don't have to have to deal with a tuque when I get into warmer places.  I guess I'm the only one, or does my Canadian citizenship exempt me from the statistics?
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 08:15:50 am »
Well, someone needs to show the police they aren't the only ones with nuts around here.  If the government won't do anything, then its kinda left to the regular folk.  I fail to see how preaching this is a problem, even though the show likely isn't, but whatever.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 12:06:10 pm »
Thug?  I didn't know that thugs protect the innocent from violent criminals.  She must be using a different dictionary from the rest of us.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 05:26:39 pm »
It's what's followed Luke Cage since he was created.  Black Power Fantasies threaten Whit....OH SHE'S BLACK TOO!?

Ironbite-damn woman's just cray cray.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 06:21:51 pm »
...For fucks sake.  This reminds me of the idiots who were ragging on the Actor who plays Luke Cage because he was in an interracial relationship. The thing about hoodies is they aren't inherently evil or associated with thugs, they're a fucking jacket to keep you warm, if we wanna go that route suits should mean your gonna rob a bank since a lot of bank robbers wore suits. The fact that she's black does not nullify her stupidity.  Oh, no if anything it amplifies it, cause she as a black woman should know how fucking horrid the media portrays our image, the fact that Luke Cage wears a hoodie when he goes into a compound of some kingpin and kicks all the goons asses and doesn't kill them should say something. Now whether she's an idiot is yet to be seen (but she seems to be veering very close to it.)

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 10:01:38 pm »
The analysis is laughably awful, too. While the show doesn't pull any punches and is critical of systematic and police racism (and it more or less flat out states that the police system as we know it is broken), the coda was calling the black community to action to clean up their neighborhoods and work together to make them better places, while also being responsible for and willing to face the consequences of your actions. The idea that the show "will encourage black kids to believe they can pick fights, confront police and have a hoodie protect them" shows that this woman didn't actually watch the show and has no fucking clue what she's talking about.
Who needs a signature?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 10:07:56 pm »
So basically, grown men and women are shitting the bed because they don't like a fictional character.

I love humanity. I really, truly do.