Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 413082 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #1635 on: August 26, 2017, 01:54:03 am »
In Trumpland, making sure Hispanics and blacks and all those others know their place is admirable.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #1636 on: August 26, 2017, 05:53:59 am »
So... Accepting pardon counts as admitting your guilt... Does this mean that Arpaio can now be sued for things related to the things he was pardoned of? I know of the "double jeopardy" rule but can the victims of the racial profiling sue for damages?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1637 on: August 26, 2017, 08:24:04 am »
Perhaps.  I am not a lawyer, but I think Arpaio was sentenced by the state, meaning that the state can't try him for the same crime again.  However, individuals (or a group) can still seek restitution for damages incurred, in the form of money.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #1638 on: August 26, 2017, 12:36:38 pm »
Well, Arpaio could decline the pardon (old Supreme Court ruling--the President can't force someone to accept a pardon), which would mean he's not admitting his guilt.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #1639 on: August 26, 2017, 03:18:28 pm »
Unless of course, he calls it a witch hunt by Obama holdovers in the Department of Justice. Which he did. Nevermind that he was tried by a Bush appointee judge and that Trump is in charge of the Department of Justice. Nope, it was just a witch hunt against an innocent man.

God I hope he can be sued for damages.
Who needs a signature?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #1640 on: August 26, 2017, 03:27:05 pm »
He was convicted.  Yeah he pretty much can be sued out of existence.

Ironbite-you think this man has money?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #1641 on: August 26, 2017, 03:32:46 pm »
He was convicted, but hasn't admitted guilt and is appealing. So the civil suits aren't quite there yet.

If he accepts the pardon, that is an admission of guilt (probably why the President can't force someone to accept a pardon). Then he's open to civil suits for sure.

If, on the other hand, he declines the pardon and manages to get acquitted on appeal, those civil suits become a little dicier.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #1642 on: August 26, 2017, 05:40:31 pm »
Even if he's pardoned it's not like he has a job to go back to.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #1643 on: August 26, 2017, 05:53:55 pm »
Even if he's pardoned it's not like he has a job to go back to.

I still think Trump will try to make him Secretary of Homeland Security at some point.

Well, either him or David Clarke.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #1644 on: August 26, 2017, 06:40:23 pm »
Sheriff Joe was always his first pick for some big seat in Washington.  Homeland nomination is pretty much on the way after this cause if I recall, it was the sure fire criminal conviction that was preventing the GOP for voting for nomination.  Now....who knows what they'll do.

Ironbite-it's amazing how dumb this is from any angel.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #1645 on: August 27, 2017, 07:54:01 pm »
Stealing something from the Allspark.

Master Fwiffo, on 27 Aug 2017 - 10:03 AM, said:
So the fourth largest city in the US is completely under water.  You're the President of the United States.  What is your first tweet of the day?

"Buy the Second-worst SHerrif in the US's book."

Someone promptly takes the phone away and tells you you have to talk about the flooding.  So... you marvel at how it's the greatest flood ever, but don't worry, everything is fine.
And then you start going on about the Wall and Nafta.

Will he ever NOT be an embarrassment?

Ironbite-a very good question.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #1646 on: August 27, 2017, 08:14:04 pm »
Then he loses the evangelicals because everyone knows the greatest flood ever was the one that wiped out everyone but Noah and his family.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #1647 on: September 03, 2017, 11:45:54 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7odLz_dCh8

Barack Obama left a handwritten letter for Donald Trump shortly before Trump took the oath of office.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #1648 on: September 04, 2017, 08:01:32 am »
Well that's tradition, a lot of presidents have left letters of advice to their successor. I can only imagine what Trumps will be. Maybe he'll just tweet it.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #1649 on: September 04, 2017, 10:29:11 am »
Well that's tradition, a lot of presidents have left letters of advice to their successor. I can only imagine what Trumps will be. Maybe he'll just tweet it.

Yes, but I think this is the first time the general public has known what Obama wrote for Trump.