Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 385079 times)

Offline Id82

• The Beast
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #2250 on: May 16, 2018, 07:15:44 pm »
While I highly applaud the Senate I don't see either the house or Trump accepting this.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2251 on: May 16, 2018, 07:46:21 pm »
While I highly applaud the Senate I don't see either the house or Trump accepting this.

I really hope the Dems make (or have made) this an election issue.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2252 on: May 16, 2018, 10:07:48 pm »
Which was the whole point of the CRA.

Ironbite-they know it has no chance in the House but are doing it anyway.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #2254 on: May 17, 2018, 02:15:10 am »

I really hope the Dems make (or have made) this an election issue.

My states strong Democrat, my congresspeople all support NN. That's one of the good things about the politicians up here. But if I was in a swing state I'd be helping with voting out any republican siding with Ajit Pai and Trump.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2255 on: May 17, 2018, 05:57:52 pm »
https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=115&session=2&vote=00101

Gina Haspel, who ran a CIA black site at which prisoners were subjected to enhanced interrogationtortured, and then destroyed the tapes of said torture to cover up what was done, and who refused to say during her confirmation hearings in committee that she thought torture was wrong, has been confirmed as CIA Director, 54-45.

Sens. Flake (R-AZ) and Paul (R-KY) voted against her confirmation. Sens. Donnelly (D-IN), Heitkamp (D-ND), Manchin (D-WV), Nelson (D-FL), Shaheen (D-NH) and Warner (D-VA) voted to confirm her. Sen. McCain (R-AZ) did not vote. The vote was otherwise along party lines, with both independent Senators voting against.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #2256 on: May 17, 2018, 06:17:00 pm »
Oh Warner......why?

Ironbite-oh right you got an apology.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #2257 on: May 17, 2018, 08:36:38 pm »
Ironically, if German does issue a warrant for her arrest over war crimes, she will not even be able to visit some of the CIA blacksite torture prisons that she is tasked with overseeing.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #2258 on: May 17, 2018, 09:28:21 pm »
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/17/politics/mo-brooks-nasa-climate-change/index.html

I know this doesn't have to do with Trump, and more the GOP. But the lengths that congressmen will go to protect the money they receive from Oil companies astounds me to the point where they will make shit up.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2259 on: May 18, 2018, 02:14:31 am »
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/17/politics/mo-brooks-nasa-climate-change/index.html

I know this doesn't have to do with Trump, and more the GOP. But the lengths that congressmen will go to protect the money they receive from Oil companies astounds me to the point where they will make shit up.

Amend the Constitution to overturn Buckley v. Valeo and Bellotti v. First National Bank. Wouldn't be the first time the US Constitution was amended to reverse the Supreme Court. (The 11th Amendment was added to overturn Chisholm v. Georgia.)

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #2260 on: May 18, 2018, 08:50:00 am »
That's actually the whole point of the Amendment process.  To overturn the Supreme Court decisions.  It's why the SCOTUS very rarely contradicts itself regardless of what laws are thrown at it.  Even if you throw a million anti-Roe vs. Wade laws at it, SCOTUS will refuse to even hear the cases because it doesn't contradict itself.

Ironbite-its why anti-abortion laws die so often.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #2261 on: May 20, 2018, 05:20:19 am »
That's actually the whole point of the Amendment process.  To overturn the Supreme Court decisions.  It's why the SCOTUS very rarely contradicts itself regardless of what laws are thrown at it.  Even if you throw a million anti-Roe vs. Wade laws at it, SCOTUS will refuse to even hear the cases because it doesn't contradict itself.

We're so very lucky anti-abortion lawmakers are as stupid as they are, otherwise they would have learned by now.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #2262 on: May 20, 2018, 06:15:19 am »

I've heard the Supreme Court can contradict itself and create a new interpretation but it only does it if the interpretation is old enough. If I recall right some people were worried around the election that Roe vs Wade is getting to the age where this might be possible.

... aand with some google-fu I confirmed this. Brown vs Board of Education created a new interpretation that the "separate but equal" racial segregation doctrine is unconstitutional. This directly overturned Plessy vs Ferguson that had created the doctrine.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2263 on: May 20, 2018, 12:36:52 pm »
I'd have to look up the relevant cases but in the 1940s SCOTUS sometimes overturned itself within a few years or even months. For instance, they ruled that schools could compel students to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance, rejecting a Free Exercise argument from a Jehovah's Witness... and a few years later reversed themselves on Free Expression grounds (which is actually stronger, because it means you don't need any sort of reason to refuse to stand for the Pledge or the anthem or salute the flag or whatever).

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #2264 on: May 20, 2018, 03:10:52 pm »
I'm not gonna say that SCOTUS doesn't reverse itself on occasion but the argument has to be pretty hard.  Take for example the above example.  The original interpretation was on religious ground.  1940 was a very shaky time for religion.  Meanwhile expression was just coming into vogue and was the new sexiness so that got through.  Sadly, anti-abortion idiots keep trying the same old shit day in day out and it doesn't past the test. 

Oh so tomorrow, Trump's ordering DoJ to see if the FBI planted operatives in his campaign in order to....do Political Purposes.  So that's gonna be fun.

Ironbite-he's gone tin-pot on us.